The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone heard any more info regarding death of rider at Galway?

One of my friends called to say the young rider at ** had 4 stops and was being flagged down because she was eliminated when she continued on to water jump were horse flipped on her. Stopped her heart but they got it going and then died at hospital...

How tragic.....

She had a bad fall at Ram Tap not to long before this ;-( My prayers are with her family
    Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.
    Confucius

What a tragedy.

bbelbrox, can you please PT me with the rider name? Thanks -- I'm a bit worried, as my old trainer's daughter is a YR doing the two star... --Jess
    Last edited by JAGold; Nov. 5, 2006 at 01:01 AM.

The great Bluegrass State. Or Commonwealth. Whatever.

Christ, that's awful.
    Thoughts and prayers to her family.
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Horrible news. My thoughts are with the family.
    ***Honorary Member of the "What is BOSS?" Cult...er...CLIQUE***
    ***Prominent Member of the 'Irrelevent Posters Clique'***
    CrayolaPosse ~ Bluegreen

Scaring me too and I'm at the USDF Region 9 Regional Championships in TX and won't be back to KY for a while. Would like to know if you can share.

Which water did this happen? Galway is a monster course. It will eat you alive if you are not ready. Out of 50 horses in the OI and 2-star (we all did the same course) in March of this year only 7 went clean.

I am very sorry for the rider and her family.

Reed

Oh no. How horrible. What a tragic thing to happen.

This is really upsetting news. I am so sad for the family and all those at the event. It is also very anxiety provoking not to know who the rider is. I know at least 5 young riders in the ** and a couple of adults. Too late for me to call anyone. My heart is heavy! Please anyone know anything that can be shared? I keep hoping that this information is wrong and a miscommunication.

Here's the website:

http://www.galwaydowns.com/

There are no press releases at the time I looked.

The results show eleven riders that were either eliminated or retired. It would be one of those but I have no idea.

http://www.galwaydowns.com/ResultsNOV06/CCI2STAR.pdf
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

I did a little research, of results at Galway and Ram Tap. There looks to only be one possibility but if the scorers at Galway goofed and listed the rider as withdrawn, then there could be two. I don't feel its my place being far removed from these people and this event, to name who the rider could be. But simple research between the results that are out there online, could lead you to the answer.

Galway Results: http://www.galwaydowns.com/ResultsNOV06/CCI2STAR.pdf

Ram Tap Results: http://www.ramtap1.com/pdfDocuments/...006Results.htm

And just a side note and not to be cruel, but if there is anything to take away from this its to remember to learn the rules of the sport. This tragedy could have been avoided if she had known down pat that after stop #4, you are required to leave the xc course. I am not faulting her, God only knows how much adrenaline you have to think around at a three day! I am just trying to remind us all that we can avoid any unnecessary injuries, falls etc by knowing the rules really well.

That said I feel for her family and hope that they will come through this tragedy.

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Reed
    I would say second water.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

from what I can tell, and from what the COTH says, its not who it appears to be at first.
    In any event, how horrible- just tragic....
    I feel for her family, and for those that were tying to flag her down- what a horrible feeling that must have been.

Damn subscription ran out. Ok so what does the COTH coverage say?

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by Xctrygirl View Post
    And just a side note and not to be cruel, but if there is anything to take away from this its to remember to learn the rules of the sport. This tragedy could have been avoided if she had known down pat that after stop #4, you are required to leave the xc course.
    So the USEA rules & the FEI rules are different? <RAR demonstrates that *SHE* does not know the rules of the sport...>
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    So the USEA rules & the FEI rules are different? <RAR demonstrates that *SHE* does not know the rules of the sport...>

Yes, the FEI rules are not always the same as USEF rules.

FEI- 4 xc stops (throughout the course) is elimination.
    2 sj stops is elimination.

In both USEF and FEI, three stops at the same XC fence is elimination.

Clear as mud.

The FEI is responsible for some of our dumber rule changes (for the sake of congruity), like in SJ, a rail is 4 penalties, a stop is 4 penalties, and a fall is 8 (I think) penalties.
    Last edited by EventerAJ; Nov. 5, 2006 at 12:09 PM.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

Ok I just spoke to the secretary from Galway who also handles the press, here's what I know:

1.) There is a press release, but it's going to be distributed among the local and equine press, it's not going to be posted on the website

2.) The release (which was read to me over the phone) is simple and to the point. (Paraphrasing: Fatal accident on xc, full paramedic team there on the site within instance, went to hospital, later pronounced dead. All people, organizers, owners and connected to Galway Downs send their sincerest condolences)

3.) The 1 person I said that lined up between the 2 events is the person who died. (Still not comfortable giving the name, but it should hit the press pretty surely by noon pacific time)

Many condolences for all involved,

~Emily

Here is the COTH coverage, the only mention of any rider problems.

"Competition was halted for about 30 minutes after Mia Eriksson suffered a serious fall late in the division when her horse, Koryography, fell on her after clipping the fence with his front legs. The 7-year-old horse was treated by veterinarians on site and was able to walk back to his stable. Eriksson was transported to the Hospital. Her condition was still unknown at the end of competition on Saturday."
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

How old was the girl? This is horrible news. My condolences to the family.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

Quote Originally Posted by EventerAJ View Post
    Yes, the FEI rules are not always the same as USEF rules.

FEI- 4 xc stops (throughout the course) is elimination.
    2 sj stops is elimination.

In both USEF and FEI, three stops at the same sj fence is elimination.

Clear as mud.

The FEI is responsible for some of our dumber rule changes (for the sake of congruity), like in SJ, a rail is 4 penalties, a stop is 4 penalties, and a fall is 8 (I think) penalties.
    Thanks. But you mean three stops at the same xc fence is elimination - THAT rule I know *eyeroll* having been there, done that, worn that t-shirt with Prozac Pony at two consecutive Copper Meadows...
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    Thanks. But you mean three stops at the same xc fence is elimination - THAT rule I know *eyeroll* having been there, done that, worn that t-shirt with Prozac Pony at two consecutive Copper Meadows...

How did I write "SJ" there??? I meant xc... oops! Thanks for the correction.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~