The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Agree that walking in the morning is not unusual.

However this horse (Fuerst Fabio) is a high energy, brilliant,edgy kind of horse - that is walked for relaxation a couple of times a day. But it is this brilliant energy that makes him a superstar! But he is a nervous type of horse. He is walked with a rider on him - not handwalked that I have seen.

Hi,
    Glad everyone is enjoying the report.

This was my first time seeing Fabio, and I can only go on what Hubertus Schmidt told us in the session. Kyra Kyrkland said that this was the best horse she's ever seen Hubertus on and asked about his background. Hubertus said that he had ridden him a few times when he was younger, but just got him back this summer and is now riding and training him regularly. Kyra said she hopes the horse stays under him (I don't think that was meant to be deragotory to anyone else because she didn't know the background, just hopeful to see Hubertus take a horse like this to the top).

I did read on the internet that he won the 2002 National German Championships for the 3 year olds under the German rider, Katja Camp, and then Parra's sponsors bought the horse for him. I'll never understand that, but I guess that's how this world works sometimes. Just hope he does stay under Hubertus because it was breathtaking to watch.

And yes, Sabine I agree. I don't see how any self respecting journal or magazine would ever publish anything written by these people who clearly have personal scores to settle and no interest in the horse or the sport. I don't mind criticism, we all learn from that, but as far as I'm concerned Birgit Popp owes all of us an apology. She completely wasted our time and money turning all of the attention on herself. It interupted the atmosphere and energy to such an acute degree that there was no possibility we could have gotten back to an intelligent conversation.

What would be sad is if her attack worked to push Anky and Sjef back into isolation. All of us would suffer from that. After the GDF was over and people were starting to leave Sjef went over to Kyra and it looked like they were having a good discussion. That's what we were supposed to hear. I hope someday we will hear more about what they talked about.

Thanks very much for this excellent report. There is lots to think about here! Your note about Stephen Clarke's response to teeth grinding or other outward signs of tension is interesting.

And yes, Sabine I agree. I don't see how any self respecting journal or magazine would ever publish anything written by these people who clearly have personal scores to settle and no interest in the horse or the sport. I don't mind criticism, we all learn from that, but as far as I'm concerned Birgit Popp owes all of us an apology. She completely wasted our time and money turning all of the attention on herself. It interupted the atmosphere and energy to such an acute degree that there was no possibility we could have gotten back to an intelligent conversation.
    Oh yes and similar unprofessional comments on her friend's website. You know, the website that could be so wonderful if they would show more journalistic professionalism . There are ways to report things, even if you don't approve, without sounding so petty, biased and unprofessional.

The sad thing about this new bout of shoddy behaviour by a vindictive minority is that the riders stick more together but push away the public and become wary of speaking their minds and thus courting controversy.

Those of us that are lucky enough to have sponsors/owners generally find they are in the sport because they like horses, like to see them competed and want to have an enjoyable time. These journalists don't make it a very attractive prospect to get involved in dressage at any public level. You can criticise in the correct manner far more effectively if that's what you want to do but no one respects the gutter press.

I agree. It's very damaging to the sport overall, but I think that if we take action by refusing to spend any money on the magazines that publish or back this type of trash we can shut it down. We really have to demand professionalism at all levels. These writers have to be reminded that they were the only ones in that room being handed the microphone that were not elite riders, elite judges, or elite trainers. They are not qualified to appoint themselves supreme judges sitting on a self made pedestal looking down upon the rest of the sport. It is simply not acceptable.

For example, I like Euro Dressage very much and I think Astrid Appels has done a wonderful job. She also brought up an important question and topic, but it was the way she came across that was inexcusable. She was already the judge, jury, and executioner. Instead of simply and respectively asking the question, she had already determined she was more qualified than an Olympic judge or the Chairman of the FEI. The arrogance of the media is just getting out of control.

I do think it's far better in the States and not all of the media is this irresponsible, but over here it's out of control. I know for certain that one of the authors at St. George had been dating Martin Schaudt. Amazing how wonderful the articles were about him until he dumped her to go back to Nadine. After that he was lumped in with Anky and Co. Is that really what we want to support for our sport? Why is anyone buying these magazines?

The only person qualified to diagnose a horse as lame is a veterinary surgeon. Period. This is why judges don't write on a test sheet "your horse is lame"

I agree it is a valid question to ask what mark was given to a horse that shows irregularity in the extended trot or any other movement and then re question if the mark allocated was low enough for the perceived uneveness. Personally i don't buy the magazines, i don't subscribe to the websites and i never will. I like the format of Eurodressage the photos are often superb and the results service very valuable but the editorial content has little to recommend it and to describe it as "journalism" is an insult to the profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurobreederstour View Post
    .......but I think that if we take action by refusing to spend any money on the magazines that publish or back this type of trash we can shut it down. We really have to demand professionalism at all levels. ...........
    .....Why is anyone buying these magazines?
    Birgit Popp writes for The COTH - whose BB this is - whose hospitality and generosity we should consider when posting here
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Cool

She is not employed by COTH- she writes articles- just like many free lance journalists. It is up to COTH editors to decide if they want to continue publishing her articles... we shall see....

the same extended trot uneven but not lame issue has occured on other occasions, perhaps most notably with corlandus.

Angry

Also interesting that in her coverage of the GDF, Astrid Appels doesn't own up to her comment. She writes that a Belgian journalist questioned the scores for Brentina given the issues shown with irregularity but does not admit that she was this Belgian journalist. Very interesting.

Wink

yup - there are many ways to hide the sheep...sometimes a wolf hides under the sheep skin...))!!

Yes, thank you EBT for the report. If only you could replace both Astrid and Birgit, AND that woman from St Georg (Gabrielle?)

SGray, you are correct that Birgit has written reports which have appeared in the COTH. And as is typical of her style, they contained their own fair share of subtle (and not so subtle) digs at top riders. If she cannot contain herself and behave respectfully, she neither belongs at the GDF nor being printed by the COTH (or anyone else) if you want my opinion. It is not an attack on the COTH for us to question the wisdom of printing articles by someone like Ms. Popp. I was equally put off by the recent "Letter to the Editor" by WAZ which was printed in this month's Dressage Today. I respect and approve of that magazine generally, but they do sometimes seem to want to wallow in controversy in a way in which I do not approve. Smut of any sort does not belong in any respected magazine nor on any respected website (nor any website which aspires to be respected.)

Very interesting, FEIJR. I haven't read the article yet myself, as the previous link to eurosewerage wasn't quite working .

Bravo Eurobreederstour! What a refreshing report, after having read Astrid's version already.

i don't feel the top riders deserve a sort of 'respect' that involves adoring blindness, but what is disturbing about many of the nasty remarks is that they are usually inaccurate or just downright incorrect, to say nothing of just being more of a bad reflection on the speaker than anything else. people see what they want to see, like trashing martin schaudt and throwing him in with anky and the other evil ones once one is not dating martin any more.

Default slc and marty up a tree.

or using bizarre over the top comments like someone was "publicly butchered" because someone would not debate with them. "Publicly butchered?" It reflects badly on the reporter.

"reporter" ?

'respect' that involves adoring blindness
    I don't think respect implies adoring blindness.

Astrid and Birgit not only are often disrespectful, they are also often rude, arrogant, and often flat out wrong as well.

Astrid in this case may even have had a valid point to make, but it could have been made in a much more appropriate manner. These types want to approach everything as if it is a battle, and then they wonder why it is hard to have a productive discussion. Nobody can read Astrid's report and honestly say it is any sort of fair unbiased journalistic reporting. Her bitterness seeps into nearly every word.

As for Birgit and the St Georg journalist, there appears to be no hope for those two.

I find it odd that most of you can only accept one point of view and you want to ban people that don't find rollkur respectful of the HORSE!! Talk about respect- how about respecting the horse that has to carry these disrespectful riders around?

I find nothing disrespectful in asking about learned helplessness. That is disrespectful?? How about actually answering the question?

Groupies...that describes it.

SMUT from Waz?? No, smut is preventing a horse from seeing where he is going.

Hmm. Not sure what you mean about banning people? Nothing wrong with people expressing opinions or questioning training methods but when the opinion is presented as reporting or journalism and yet is so clearly biased and adversarial, then there is a problem with it. .

If reporting, for example, that someone would not discuss an issue with his detractors, a reporter could certainly get that across and even include what was actually said without saying something bizarre like they 'publicly butchered' the person. That's beyond spin. Just one little example.

There should be an attempt to present a balanced report. It should be the job of the self described 'reporter' to 'report' what went on and allow others to draw conclusions , not to dive into the mudpit. Speaking GENERALLY, if a reporter has some sort of personal vendetta , perhaps he or she is not the best person to cover the assignment, .

I can't comment on the Dressage Today letter as I haven't seen it but I suspect that it is not 'smut"!

As far as the 'learned helplessness question" it reminds me a little of the old law school example of an improper leading question- "When did you stop beating your wife" which assumes something that is in fact denied. Learned helplessness is not a desired state as Andrew MacLean had explained and so to ask if it is a training 'tool' can only be taken as intending offence.