The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just so you all know that I have nothing against ASB I thought I'd mention that our stallion Welt Marke is approved for crossing with them by the TASHR http://www.americanasporthorse.com/. They are lovely horses and actually the original American Warmblood. I'm just opposed to some of the things that have been done to them. I'm glad a lot of them are now illegal.

Three minutes for a tack change actually seems like plenty of time to me. I used to do team-penning with a 3 minute time limit and I can remember thinking that was actually way more time than anyone should need How many assistants are you allowed to have and are these classes regularly offered in ASB shows?
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ashemont View Post
    Three minutes for a tack change actually seems like plenty of time to me. I used to do team-penning with a 3 minute time limit and I can remember thinking that was actually way more time than anyone should need How many assistants are you allowed to have and are these classes regularly offered in ASB shows?
    They're not offered very *often* at ASB shows any more, unfortunately - in fact I don't think USEF even has rules for them any more, though they did as late as the 60s and maybe even the 70s - but there has been some discussion here and there about bringing them back. Seems to have died off again now though, more's the pity. 3 mins is plenty for the tack change when you don't have breeching and just have a little lightweight bike. ISTR being allowed two attendants??? One to head the horse and one to assist the driver?? And you had to remove the vehicle from the ring under human power, obviously.

The ADS shows run theirs a bit differently, it's 2 separate classes, Section A and B usually, so the 3 min. tack change doesn't come into play. They give people plenty of time by sticking another class in between - which makes a lot more sense when you consider the size of the vehicles and increased complexity of the harness.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

ADS doesn't mandate separate classes. Up here its typically done all in one with a rapid (we hope) tack change in the ring and then the grooms dragging the vehicles out. The 3 minute thing sounds like a good idea as occasionally you get a dawdler.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    ADS doesn't mandate separate classes. Up here its typically done all in one with a rapid (we hope) tack change in the ring and then the grooms dragging the vehicles out. The 3 minute thing sounds like a good idea as occasionally you get a dawdler.
    Oh really? Didn't know that; thanks for info. Interesting to note it's done differently up there... Down here at the ADS shows it's always a split class.

For the ASB shows the 3-minute rule *used* to be in the AHSA rule book.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief