The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 198 of 198
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2006
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    5,811

    Default

    Trainer who had never seen me ride before had me put on inch long spurs. I was a little nervous because I'd never worn spurs before and so was being cautious using my leg. Trainer's advice? "Punch a hole in his ribs with them!"

    Not a trainer, a veterinarian.... chemical fly sprays cause mad cow disease.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.



  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jul. 2, 2003
    Location
    Woodland, Ca
    Posts
    6,280

    Default

    Actually, Jane Honda, there is a subset if European riders that purposely post on the wrong diaganol, particularly on a green horse... somerhing about making the horse step through with it's inside hind...
    And back on the 80s I was told that if an event ridercame to look at a sale horse I must hose it off starting with the feet first or they would think I didn't know anything... same reason. they'll foundr...



  3. #183
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,611

    Default

    Just as a matter of practice I start with the feet when hosing.

    But that is because I think it is more courteous to the horse to start low and work up to the more sensitive area than to just blast him in the ribs or back with a hose.

    I can identify with the fact that I also get in the already-running shower toes first, then legs, then torso, rather than standing in front of the nozzle and then BAM! turning it on.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Just as a matter of practice I start with the feet when hosing.

    But that is because I think it is more courteous to the horse to start low and work up to the more sensitive area than to just blast him in the ribs or back with a hose.

    I can identify with the fact that I also get in the already-running shower toes first, then legs, then torso, rather than standing in front of the nozzle and then BAM! turning it on.
    And that's why I didn't bother saying anything to the guy. In the end, even if his reasoning is weird and crazy, he's not actually doing anything dangerous.



  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jan. 29, 2013
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    500

    Default

    I just have to keep coming back to this thread, it's fabulous!! a place i used to ride at, one time i was in the outdoor riding, and personally witnessed a person (adult) get off her lovely horse, and proceed to whip it viciously in the chest, legs, and face until the mare reared up and flipped over backwards - onto her western saddle. after watching this once or twice, I went over and asked what she was doing, and why. Her answer? It will make the horse respect me when I ask her to do something.

    UGH!!!!!



  6. #186
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,546

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Not a trainer, a veterinarian.... chemical fly sprays cause mad cow disease.
    Snort. Because ranchers use fly spray on their cattle ALL THE TIME.



  7. #187
    Join Date
    Feb. 9, 2005
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    1,923

    Default

    I had just moved to my trainer's trainer's barn, because my horse was difficult, and he might have been more help when it came time to sell him.
    I was walking into the barn,and he says,"I can always tell a rider by the way they walk. And you're not one."

    I was a grown woman of about 45 or so. Why didn't I tell him where to get off? I know I would now.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Jul. 15, 2003
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    Not from a trainer but from a 16 year old "wanna-be trainer" who is leasing her horse to one of my riders and came to visit.

    "You should try skipping Belle, she knows how to skip"

    I asked her what she meant.

    "You know,....skipping. Like they do in dressage where they change leads every two strides."

    I stifled a laugh and asked if she meant a two-tempi.

    "No, they call it skipping in dressage."

    After having her hang out at the barn for a little while, I have come to realize that she is a know it all that doesn't like to admit that she doesn't know things and doesn't like to admit that she is wrong.

    She also had a little bag of stuff that she brought with her and in it was a copy of George Morris' Hunter Seat Equitation. I casually mentioned the book and she proceeded to tell me that it was a rare book and incredibly hard to find.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch



  9. #189
    Join Date
    Aug. 8, 2004
    Location
    Back in the 'nati
    Posts
    3,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterJumperGin View Post
    A trainer very dear to me yelled this upon coming to a jump (3'-3'6).

    "Just run at it, babes!!!"
    My husband and I have a running joke. Whenever I'm feeling nervous about a particular fence, he tells me "Just run at it!" He is not, nor will he ever be, a trainer, btw



  10. #190
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2005
    Posts
    415

    Default

    You know, McVilles Mom, it really does have a way of working sometimes! If nothing else it takes the pressure off of overthinking your distance. God bless him, I miss that particular trainer so very much. No one else makes me feel that brave (or crazy? )
    Thoroughbreds: classic

    Turn. N. Burn.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2010
    Location
    Land of Enchantment
    Posts
    876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elektra949 View Post
    "You look like a crow on a garbage can."
    "You look like a monkey in a banana tree."
    "Be proud your boozies! Boozie up"! (Boozie was his version of "bosom")
    [B]"Seet on your Poooozie!" [/B](I was a naive kid and had no idea what a "Poooozie" was until many years later, when I realized what exactly he was saying...)


    And one day it just hit you, in the middle of raking the yard or something, like OH MY GOD he was telling me to sit on my P*s*y! LoL!!

    Along those same lines....One of my old trainers(back when I used to show, I must've been 12/13 ish) used to tell me I would never keep a man if I didn't learn how to ley my hips follow the motion. Pigs, I tell ya.
    Bah hahahaha - OMG you owe me a keyboard



  12. #192
    Join Date
    Jun. 19, 2011
    Posts
    3,757

    Default

    My trainer told me he was only going to charge me for two weeks training as the other two weeks he was away on his honeymoon and did not feel I should pay for that....


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Took one h/j lesson with a trainer who chewed me out for looking through my corners. I was to look only at the area directly between the ears. Did not take that advice with me.



  14. #194
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2009
    Location
    the South
    Posts
    257

    Default

    "Shorten your draw reins and CRANK that pony's head down."



  15. #195
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toxicity View Post
    "Shorten your draw reins and CRANK that pony's head down."
    This reminds me of something I overheard in the warmup ring at a UPHA show, years and years ago:

    "take that little rein & pull it up tight!" The shank on the curb was about 5 feet long. I think I was about 15 & my riding instructor looked at me, then actually escorted me away from the rail.



  16. #196
    Join Date
    Aug. 11, 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    39

    Default

    My current trainer comes out with some great sayings. Keeps me smiling and if I laugh she knows Im breathing!

    My favourite so far was from early on in riding career.
    I used to hold my hands right down by the pommel, was a bad habit which she quickly stopped by saying,

    "Are you holding a cat up there? No? Well stop stroking your pussy!"

    And on the no breathing comments, I find if I am concentrating on bend or leg yield, or while Im doing a round of SJing, I hold my breath.

    My trainer gets me to sing nursery rhymes, something with a consistent beat, at different times throughout my lessons. Then she knows Im breathing, not too puffed, relaxing more(cos it usually makes you smile) and the consistent beat helps with rhythm in trot.



  17. #197
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2001
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,711

    Default

    I overheard this at the warmup arena at a local dressage schooling show where I was watching a friend warm up her new horse I hadn't seen yet. Her "coach" was giving her some pointers and as being friendly with me. As they were warming up his medium trot, she praised my friend, and then turned to me and said something to the effect of, "He's such a good boy. He's finally learning to flip his toes up." It took everything I had not to actually drop my jaw.



  18. #198
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2002
    Location
    Lots of M states...
    Posts
    1,525

    Default

    I've got two:

    "You should be thinking about pulling his nose down to his chest, and bringing his chest back to his hind legs."

    AND:

    "Stop looking at your hands when you half-halt! You don't need to look at your butt when you wipe, so you don't need to look at your hands when you say whoa!"

    In the warm-up ring, at a show.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Another interesting "hot young stallion" vs "proven older stallion" tidbit
    By Hillside H Ranch in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Nov. 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
  2. Replies: 110
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep. 16, 2013, 05:46 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
  5. Replies: 59
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2008, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness