The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 198
  1. #161
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2012
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Growing up I was only allowed to use organic/all natural fly sprays because we had fly predators and regular fly sprays would harm them.

    Last year I was fly spraying my horse, looked at my husband because the light bulb went off, any FLY spray would have killed them anyways. LMAO.



  2. #162
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2012
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blondmane View Post
    I have a boarder who once in awhile tells me things her former trainer told her, full of conviction:

    1. You only worm horses when there is a full moon
    2. You only do horse's teeth when it's cold out
    3. You don't ride a horse after it's had its feet trimmed

    WTF?
    It's actually more effective to deworm during a full moon, I can't remember why, but there IS a reason. I mean you can deworm anytime obviously.



  3. #163
    Join Date
    Feb. 4, 2012
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I had an instructor telling our lesson group to "stop posting like bunnies bumping." You can imagine we slowed our trots down after that.

    Also from a vet with regard to explosive diarrhea.... it is wen your horse can "shit through a screen door without getting wet."


    1 members found this post helpful.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerrysmom818 View Post
    That was the norm for a long, long time - tube worming - spring and fall. Rotational worming every 6 weeks is relatively new becoming common practice in the last ten years or so?
    Ten? At least twenty around here.



  5. #165
    Join Date
    Apr. 9, 2012
    Location
    NYC=center of the universe
    Posts
    2,098

    Default

    From my (then) trainer, "You can never hold him too much." At that moment she became an ex-trainer.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!



  6. #166
    Join Date
    May. 13, 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    13

    Default

    "You're just massaging the horse's tongue with the bit! You're not hurting him."

    Riiiight, sure, ex-instructor, sugarcoating see-sawing makes it so much more acceptable.

    At least I know better now than to blindly trust instruction. :P



  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jan. 17, 2008
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,004

    Default

    Not from a trainer, but a classic I LOVE to tell.

    Friend of mine has another backyard barn owned by her friend in the neighborhood. The woman is a little, er, drifty.

    The following conversation actually happened.

    Friend receives a phone call during the day from panicked neighbor.

    "Hi, Gertrude. It's Lucy." (Lucy is the panicked neighbor).

    "Hi Lucy. What's up?"

    "I'm really upset. Have you seen X?" Gertrude is confused.

    "No, Lucy. What do you mean?"

    "Well, my husband dragged my ring for me, and I told him to make sure to pick up the dressage letters so none get run over by the drag." (Lucy has the step-in metal letters).

    "Yes?" says Gertrude.

    "Well, I went back out and put the letters up when he was done. But X is gone."

    Gertrude is a little puzzled.

    "X is gone?" she asks.

    "YES! My husband swore up and down that he left all the letters in a corner of the ring, but when I put them all up, X was NOT there! I think someone stole my X." Lucy exclaims.

    Gertrude, covering the mouthpiece of the phone, is hysterical.

    "Um, Lucy...X is the center of the ring. It's...invisible."

    Lucy gets quiet.

    "oh my god." she says. Hangs up.

    This story is a legend in my parts. Imagine Lucy, positively CERTAIN that someone came and swiped her X after the husband dragged the ring.


    18 members found this post helpful.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Dec. 4, 2002
    Posts
    2,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catknsn View Post
    Well, back in the days when I was taught to ride, outside rein to get the lead was the standard procedure!

    But I still marvel at the fact that the barn where I rode as a child came out with pronouncements like "horses only need to be wormed every six months." Lord. How those school horses stayed alive, I will never know.
    Yeah, a number of my school horses only pick up the lead with an outside-outside aid; I am always concerned that a student of mine will think that's the only way; I make sure to tell them that other horses pick it up differently (and in truth, I have some of those horses, too)


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Nov. 27, 2009
    Location
    Gladstone, Oregon
    Posts
    540

    Default

    There was a self proclaimed "big trainer" at a barn I boarded at.


    She used to come and "have a little chitty chat" with me about random things I was "doing wrong" with my horses. All of it left me staring after her with one eyeball hanging from its socket and drool coming out of my mouth with facial ticks...

    One day, I saw her riding and decided to pay it forward. She was posting on the wrong diagonal. I told her that it looks to me like she's on the wrong diagonal. I was promptly and strictly informed that its how they do it in Europe.

    I said "Im not sure if you noticed, but were in the Pacific Northwest. Later on, she heard from one of my friends there that I was working for a German dressage trainer and she followed me like a lost puppy after that. *rolls eyes*
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzywriter View Post
    My saddle fits perfectly well. It might be a little tight around the waist, but I take care of that with those spandex things.



  10. #170
    Join Date
    Dec. 19, 2005
    Location
    Some where in the middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Invested1 View Post
    2. The horse must be ridden from front to back.
    I ride all my horses front to back I don't know what your talking about .
    First it starts like this http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jjSfMtUlo0.../thelwell2.jpg

    Then we jump
    http://www.freewebs.com/centralhorse...G_400_O7OK.jpg

    And the day normally ends like this
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eClk-KDlPP...ll+-+Heel!.gif

    Front to back ...very simple really.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"


    7 members found this post helpful.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2007
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    52

    Default

    One of the trainers at the barn where my friend used to board was WP jog-shuffling around on her (to my eye, lame) horse in the outdoor, a student asked how she taught him that, and she answered that he'd been trained when she bought him, "and you know, of course, that this is the same as really advanced dressage, like piaffe or passage. It's the highest level of collection!"

    It's good that I wasn't drinking anything at the time.
    Last edited by octoberine; Feb. 20, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Extra word deleted!


    4 members found this post helpful.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Apr. 29, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    A riding camp "instructor" about 20 + years ago to my 8 yr-old self: "when a horse rears [mind you, no horses were rearing, so who know where this came from] you must sit up and yank the reins back as hard you can."



    Back then, I had no idea. Thank God I never had to use her "advice" before learning the CORRECT way to deal with a rear.
    Barn rat for life

    The Big Horse



  13. #173
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    17,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Not from a trainer, but a classic I LOVE to tell.

    Friend of mine has another backyard barn owned by her friend in the neighborhood. The woman is a little, er, drifty.

    The following conversation actually happened.

    Friend receives a phone call during the day from panicked neighbor.

    "Hi, Gertrude. It's Lucy." (Lucy is the panicked neighbor).

    "Hi Lucy. What's up?"

    "I'm really upset. Have you seen X?" Gertrude is confused.

    "No, Lucy. What do you mean?"

    "Well, my husband dragged my ring for me, and I told him to make sure to pick up the dressage letters so none get run over by the drag." (Lucy has the step-in metal letters).

    "Yes?" says Gertrude.

    "Well, I went back out and put the letters up when he was done. But X is gone."

    Gertrude is a little puzzled.

    "X is gone?" she asks.

    "YES! My husband swore up and down that he left all the letters in a corner of the ring, but when I put them all up, X was NOT there! I think someone stole my X." Lucy exclaims.

    Gertrude, covering the mouthpiece of the phone, is hysterical.

    "Um, Lucy...X is the center of the ring. It's...invisible."

    Lucy gets quiet.

    "oh my god." she says. Hangs up.

    This story is a legend in my parts. Imagine Lucy, positively CERTAIN that someone came and swiped her X after the husband dragged the ring.
    Bwahahahahahaha
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.



  14. #174
    Join Date
    Jun. 5, 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,190

    Default

    OMG guys, I need a new keyboard after the "lost X" story!

    After watching FEI level trainer bully my horse around the ring for 15 minutes (during a lesson which I was supposed to be riding, mind you) trainer stops horse, gets off and tells me this:

    "Now you get on and feel what I've done before you ruin it".

    I'm humble about my riding ability (or lack thereof), I really am, but that was not constructive criticism at all. The only thing I learned from that lesson was that I didn't want to take lessons there anymore!

    We've been clinic hoppers ever since.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Aug. 10, 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Last year, I was out at the barn and had the dubious pleasure of listening to the following gem from a guy who I think fancied he knew everything about horses to the wife of the guy he'd hauled out there:

    Him: (gesturing to a longtime boarder hosing her horse) "Look at that. She shouldn't do that."

    Her: "Do what?"

    Him: "Hose her horse like that. You should never start hosing on the back."

    Her: "No? Why not?"

    Him: "Because the horse will founder! You have to start at the feet because the cold water will push the heat up the horse's legs and into their back, and it evaporates from there. If you start at the back, all the heat gets pushed down into their legs and gets trapped in their feet, and they founder."

    Her: "Really?"

    Him: "Yes! And that's why you only ever see horses in ponds up to their sides. They leave their backs out so the heat has somewhere to go."

    They then went on to discuss the person they'd hauled in and his beautiful half-draft filly, who at that point were doing an amazing job of being terrifyingly bad at free-lunging.

    I did not hurt anything laughing.

    Barely.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Nov. 4, 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Georgia
    Posts
    17,023

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldsilver View Post
    Last year, I was out at the barn and had the dubious pleasure of listening to the following gem from a guy who I think fancied he knew everything about horses to the wife of the guy he'd hauled out there:

    Him: (gesturing to a longtime boarder hosing her horse) "Look at that. She shouldn't do that."

    Her: "Do what?"

    Him: "Hose her horse like that. You should never start hosing on the back."

    Her: "No? Why not?"

    Him: "Because the horse will founder! You have to start at the feet because the cold water will push the heat up the horse's legs and into their back, and it evaporates from there. If you start at the back, all the heat gets pushed down into their legs and gets trapped in their feet, and they founder."

    Her: "Really?"

    Him: "Yes! And that's why you only ever see horses in ponds up to their sides. They leave their backs out so the heat has somewhere to go."

    They then went on to discuss the person they'd hauled in and his beautiful half-draft filly, who at that point were doing an amazing job of being terrifyingly bad at free-lunging.

    I did not hurt anything laughing.

    Barely.
    Head * Desk - repeat.

    You could use the script from the State Farm "app" commercial.

    "Where'd you hear that?"

    "The internet."

    "And you believed it?"

    "Yeah, they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true."

    "Where did you hear that?!"

    All together now: "The internet."

    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    9,589

    Default

    ^ Jesus.

    Thermodynamics much?

    Additionally, pond physics?
    The water is on the bottom (due to gravity).
    The horse can only go in as deep as the pond floor is (due to the equal and opposite reaction of pond floor to horse legs).

    And since there are no ponds (to my knowledge) where the air is on the bottom and the water is on the top, his legs go underwater before his back.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Feb. 20, 2013 at 03:40 PM.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #178
    Join Date
    Oct. 25, 2008
    Posts
    2,250

    Default

    The latest jaw-dropper I've encountered... Local "trainer" who, if she can't be home from work in time to teach a kiddo up-downer lesson, has her (non-horsey) husband "teach" the lesson in her place. (In case you're wondering, he's "qualified" insofar as he knows how to pick a stall and drive the tractor, that's about it. I think he's probably sat on a horse less than 20 times in his entire life.)

    Seriously, that would be like me walking into my husband's Electrician class (he teaches @ a local community college) and saying, "hi, my hubby's sick today, so I'll be teaching your class!! Just don't ask me any questions because about the only thing electrical I know how to do is to plug something into the wall!!"

    Apparently if your clientele consists of children of completely non-horsey parents, you can get away with this sort of thing............
    *friend of bar.ka

    "Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"



  19. #179
    Join Date
    Oct. 4, 2010
    Location
    Middle America
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Head * Desk - repeat.

    You could use the script from the State Farm "app" commercial.

    "Where'd you hear that?"

    "The internet."

    "And you believed it?"

    "Yeah, they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true."

    "Where did you hear that?!"

    All together now: "The internet."

    You laugh....but way back, before the internet, when I was growing up, I heard this particular bit of "wisdom" repeated by all the horse people I knew. Some of whom were involved in Pony Club, some were cowboy types, and even our equine vet.



  20. #180
    Join Date
    Jul. 3, 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    2,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by x View Post
    Yeah, a number of my school horses only pick up the lead with an outside-outside aid; I am always concerned that a student of mine will think that's the only way; I make sure to tell them that other horses pick it up differently (and in truth, I have some of those horses, too)
    I was taught this (saddle seat eq) as cue to canter. Outside rein, outside leg. These days I wonder where it came from.


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Another interesting "hot young stallion" vs "proven older stallion" tidbit
    By Hillside H Ranch in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Nov. 18, 2013, 04:39 PM
  2. Replies: 110
    Last Post: Sep. 17, 2013, 06:44 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last Post: Sep. 16, 2013, 05:46 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep. 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
  5. Replies: 59
    Last Post: Oct. 17, 2008, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •