The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

These two little sniveling WASTES should be grateful I'm not in charge of the justice system.

God, I hope that poor horse went quickly. And we're the "superior" species?

The only appropriate penalty is to do to them what they did to the horse. Blow for blow. Barring that, max out whatever the law will give them.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    You know, I tried to look them up to see, but neither are in the A&M Directory..
    Ditto. You'd probably need access to bonfire to look them up. Then again, as early in the academic year as it is and as long as it always took to update information, bonfire might not list them either.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Wonder if it's worth trying to come up with a contact at A&M to call and ask for their expulsion?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

You know out here they would probably get little more than a slap on the wrist. Unfortunately it seems that in today's society, being drunk at the time you commit a crime let's you get away with murder. I sure hope it's different in Texas. I think I'll write a letter to them. DressageGeek - did you call that Bill Turner guy whose information was listed by Cowgirljenn?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie4Bar View Post
    Ditto. You'd probably need access to bonfire to look them up. Then again, as early in the academic year as it is and as long as it always took to update information, bonfire might not list them either.
    Could be.. Hmm, who do I still know at A&M...
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

The DA called back - Shane Phelps (I called the number listed in the first URL posted). He was fabulous. He's also on the board of directors of the local animal protection society. And he thanked me for calling - he's already had numerous calls basically saying to do the worst possible to the guilty parties.

He also said the poor owner was absolutely distraught. If someone is in the area who knows her, please pass on our sincere condolences.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Letter to the DA

This is the letter I am about to mail to the DA:

Mr. Bill Turner, District Attorney
    300 E. 26th Street, Suite 310
    Bryan, Texas 77803

Dear Sir:

I learned today of a terrible crime that occurred in your jurisdiction, involving the cruel and unwarranted killing of a horse by two students, Kenneth Ryan Peterson, and Walter Ray Williams. It was described in full in an article in The Bryan-College Station Eagle, here: http://www.theeagle.com/stories/1020...0061020007.php. I found this crime shocking in its brutality and senselessness, particularly since one of the perpetrators had apparently trespassed on the same property recently, and, having been chased by one of the horses, intended to harm it. This makes the crime a pre-meditated act which should therefore be subject to more severe penalties.

I take time to write to you today to urge you to prosecute this heinous crime to the fullest extent of available legal charges and punishments. Do not hesitate, do not plea bargain, and do not exhibit the slightest leniency against these two miscreants, regardless of their youth or apparent drunkenness. Their depraved indifference to the welfare of a fellow creature must be punished in the clearest and most unmistakable terms. Please see that they serve jail time if they are in fact guilty of the actions described in this article. Also make sure they pay full restitution for the replacement value of the horse they killed to the poor woman who owned it.

Many jurisdictions are unable, because of scarce resources, to aggressively prosecute crimes of cruelty against animals. But it has been demonstrated repeatedly that those who are systematically cruel and violent against animals very frequently go on to commit violent crimes against people. Aggressive prosecution of crimes of cruelty against animals contributes to public safety more generally.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. I will follow the progress of this case in the press, and hope to read that your office is resolute and unyielding in this tragic case.

Sincerely,

I hope they get gang raped in prison. Often.

Default millwrightmomma

I phoned, not that a Canadian's input would have much value in the grand scheme of things.
    The attorney's office was very surprised to hear of the extent of people that are PO'D.
    The more people that call, email, and snail mail, the stronger the case for the prosecuters.
    The boys are being held without bail. I suggested stocks and pillory, or public flogging in addition to the sentence, good fund raiser

Jingles for Darla, she must be going thru terrible times.

We have to get them there first. So let's all write as many grownup sounding, quiet, serious letters as we can to the DA. Please, Texas COTHers, I think you will have more sway than us dubious northerners, so get out your pens and fire away and let's show this DA that we are watching.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Wonder if it's worth trying to come up with a contact at A&M to call and ask for their expulsion?
    Absolutely can't hurt! In fact, I'm in the process of writing an email to the univ president, Dr. Robert M Gates - president@tamu.edu

Any "human" that could do these things to an innocent defenseless animal proves beyond doubt that they have dangerous psychotic tendencies, are a danger to society and they MUST be dealt with immediately, beginning with removing them from society and placing them into mandatory lock up in a mental institution. These monsters are lucky I’m no where near the state of Texas.

I am thunderstruck. There are not words......
    LoriB, that is one beautiful letter. Good job.
    Come on folks, more letters like Lori's to Bill Turner.
    vpsa@tamu.edu
    This is an email address for the Vice President of Student Affairs at A&M....might be worth a shot.

I called, too - I HATE making phone calls - it just makes me too nervous. BUT that's one I cannot just let go..

I talked to Shane Phelps who was supernice and said they're going to do everything they can. They're moved by the responses they've gotten, too.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Could be.. Hmm, who do I still know at A&M...
    Scratch that idea. I just got a response from a friend in grad school saying they don't use bonfire anymore. I guess the website directory is all there is.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I just printed off, and mailed my letter!

How drunk do you have to be to leave large amounts of blood all over your apartment?

Angry

I wonder if they will try to use the drunk part for some pathetic excuse...I mean personally as someone who can party like a rock star with the best of them...this has nothing to do with drinking or whatever and is something inherently wrong with these people.

They should be forced to spend much more time in jail than 4 years. That's horrid. Absolutely terrible. ANd I hope the horse owner sues the ass off of both of them. And they get expelled from the college, and aren't allowed to own animals for the rest of their lives, and are shipped off to a foreign country's dungeon to rot. I hear prisons in other countries aren't nearly as cushy as prisons here in the US. They should be punished by a horse lover. Absolutely horrid. I don't even know what else to say. Sorry about the little rant.
    Proud Mommy of Southern Comfort, aka Tex.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    The DA called back - Shane Phelps (I called the number listed in the first URL posted). He was fabulous. He's also on the board of directors of the local animal protection society. And he thanked me for calling - he's already had numerous calls basically saying to do the worst possible to the guilty parties.
    PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE TELEPHONE PEOPLE!

They are going to (hopefully) get jail time. I told him that people would be watching this case carefully.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders