The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

We don't need more big brother, Darla. I sympathize with your loss, but I don't think that more supervision of that kind will catch every miscreant. Checking for violent criminal history, but not digging up every detail of every applicants life. We are already well on our way to a police state in that regard.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    Don't worry, I am not defensive - you've got good questions! Lemme see if I can answer them and you all can help me brainstorm. I was actually out thinking about this as I was cleaning stalls - lately that's my only time to think!

To start - we're Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society and we're at www.bluebonnetequine.org - We've got members throughout Texas and Arkansas - including a few in College Station. We focus our efforts on investigating abuse and neglect, working to educate owners so that they can improve the care of their horses, removing horses when necessary, and rehabbing and rehoming them.

We were founded in March 2005 - so I know we're young. However all of our board are experienced horse rescuers. I myself founded another rescue before BEHS, and my degrees (MS and PhD) from A&M are in Animal Science, with an emphasis on equine, behavior and learning. When I wanted to quit (EVERYONE wants to quit grad. school at one point or another.. ), the reason I kept going was that I knew I could put these degrees to good use for horses everywhere. Other directors and volunteers have fostered horses for several years, are trained investigators, etc. I'm bragging, I know, but we have a fabulous group of people - they're often more like an extended family than an organization.

Ok - as to a fund, that's what I was thinking about. I like someone's idea to have a fund to help owners when their animals suffer acts of violence. Unfortunately, I don't know that we can do that - it doesn't fall under our mission statement/purpose. I also think a fund like that could be a full-time deal to operate - you need to do some heavy fundraising and have a full-time administrator. I LIKE the idea, though, and I'm going to keep thinking on how that might work for a future project (independent of the rescue).

So - if that won't work, I had two thoughts -
    1) rename our "training fund" to "The Chic Training Fund for Rescue Horses" - the purpose of the fund is to get professional training for the rescue horses to make them more adoptable. In some ways I thought this was appropriate since Chic was a youngster probably getting ready for some serious training in her near future.
    2) Create 'The Chic Special Care for Rescue Equines" Fund - money in this fund would be used to provide veterinary care "above and beyond" what we might normally be able to give a horse (or mule or donkey!) who came into the rescue ill, injured, etc.

I'm still brainstorming - so thoughts/comments/ideas are welcome.

Darla, if you are reading, I would like to offer you a free year membership in the rescue. I know you probably don't want to foster or adopt another horse at this time, but I thought you might enjoy the friendship and emotional support from the other members. If that's something you would be interested in, you can email me at jenn@bluebonnetequine.org and I'll get you set up.
    How about a fund for education against abuse and violence; make the general public aware of the abuse and push for harsher punishment.

How about getting the AQHA to help fund something in Chic’s name?

Darla, Chic looks QH, is she a registered with the AQHA? I would be happy to send an email to the AQHA to get them aware of this case.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

althugh the legal systems are different in our two countries, the 2 scumbags might get a hefty fine and jail time because of the public's outcry.
    In addition, hopefully the conditions of paroll (sp) should hopefully contain something about lifetime ban on animal ownership, monetary compensation for Darla, although I'm sure there isn't enough money to cover something as horrendous as this, and if a fund is set up by Blue Bonnet for extra help for rescued horses, then maybe they should pay for the next ten years 25 % of their gross pay into the fund, no pay, back to jail. And they must be gainfully employed, not underemployed for the ten years to make a significant contribution to the fund. No payment, back you go to jail.

I know the DA's office is watching this thread, maybe they can come up with the proper way to present this to the judge and the little scumbags lawyers.

slightlu O/T, my stepson was assaulted at his public school in gr 8 last june, and the kid was going to get a slapped wrist until I stepped in and requested stiff conditions until his trail.
    At the trial they wanted the 2 boys to sit down and make up....BULLSHIT.
    I forced the crown (da office) and their lawyers to give very stiff conditions and monitoring, as well as pychiatric help for the kid.
    It is possible , it just takes alot of pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by MSP View Post
    How about a fund for education against abuse and violence; make the general public aware of the abuse and push for harsher punishment.

How about getting the AQHA to help fund something in Chic’s name?

Darla, Chic looks QH, is she a registered with the AQHA? I would be happy to send an email to the AQHA to get them aware of this case.

Chic was not reg. in AQHA because owner of the dam never had her dam reg.

She is QH though, her sire and grandsire are reg. with the AQHA and have produced other very nice AQHA foals.

Chic was double reg. Mr. San Peppy and Colonel Freckles.

Her grand sire is Mr. San P Freckles, he is deceased.

Her sire is One Hot Freckle?

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    We don't need more big brother, Darla. I sympathize with your loss, but I don't think that more supervision of that kind will catch every miscreant. Checking for violent criminal history, but not digging up every detail of every applicants life. We are already well on our way to a police state in that regard.
    Sorry, I have never gone through anything like this before and I still don't believe it really happened, it all seems like a bad dream!!!

I also can't believe that these boys did what they did and I have never talked to the boys nor seen them up close and in person! I want to pick up the phone and call them and/or go see them, but I know I can't. I went to the jail 3 times to see them and I was not allowed to do so. It's like they have more rights then I do? I waited 4 or 5 days to even hear anything about the boys and what they did while they were already seeking legal assistance, etc.

How could something like this happen? I am just sick? I will never get over it? I still don't believe it happened! My life will never be the same! I can not wait to see these boys in court face to face! I have asked everyone to be at the court house when the court day comes. This must never happen to another animal or person! I am afriad to even own pets/horses now! How can I protect 24/7. It just makes me sick!!!

I have my own house and property for my horses and can not even let them live here because of people like these boys. I have lived her for over 40 years and have never had any trouble.

Darla.. I'm sooo sorry for your loss. Both of your loving and beautiful Chic and your innocence and feeling of safety in your own home. I have written the DA (in the mail right now) and to A&M (email response already) . As a Texas-Ex with a nephew in his first semester at Baylor I'm shocked and appalled that such a thing can happen and that the perps have not been put under the jail (just to keep them safe from the public till their trial). Nothing can be done to restore your faith in humanity, but we have to move beyond our anger. Love to you and yours..

Quote Originally Posted by millwrightmomma View Post
    In addition, hopefully the conditions of paroll (sp) should hopefully contain something about lifetime ban on animal ownership
    I had a DA in another Texas county tell us that they cannot do lifetime bans on owning animals, that the ban can only last for the duration of the offenders parol. I don't know if that's county by county, state by state or what.. Just 2 cents for this afternoon.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Just thought I'd post this from the Batt, for no real reason:
    http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/s...epublisher.com

Horsey demonstrations on the A&M campus. Thought it might make some people smile.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Darla,

I have imagined what you are going through ... and can't even begin to really comprehend. I have tried to imagine how I would feel going out and finding what you must have found. I do not know what I would do...

But I don't think anyone can understand, unless they've been through it. I'm sorry and I wish there was something I could do.

I can tell you (without going into detail) I do understand that you no longer feel safe in your home. May I suggest some profesionnal help. I know that may seem a bit over the top, but really, it's not. I am not a medical doctor but I believe what you've gone through qualifies you for post traumatic stress syndrome. It is very real... not a joke... and needs to be addressed. Again, JMHO.

-----------------------

Without going back over posts, I believe the horse's name is Cowgirl Chic? Is that correct?

I will gladly support the consensus as far as a special fund. I believe, however, that perhaps education AND I think a websit for CONVICTED EQUINE abusers would be very appropriate, especially for people trying to sell horses.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I was glad to see "held without bail"
    which means that someone thinks that this is serious enough that these two lunatics shouldn't be out walking around in public.
    Kudos to the judge who did that!

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    Just thought I'd post this from the Batt, for no real reason:
    http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/s...epublisher.com

Horsey demonstrations on the A&M campus. Thought it might make some people smile.
    I expected to see something about a demonstration regarding this horrible event. What you posted did NOT make me smile. In fact, I find it insufferably rude and insensitive that you would pick this thread to promote A&M. Nobody here has condemned or blamed A&M for this viscious killing, although quite frankly I find their treatment of their employee, Darla, to be reprehensible.

If you want to promote this university, why don't you take it to its own thread. This thread is about the torture and brutal killing of a defenseless yearling filly. It's about what we can do to ensure justice for Chic. And it's about what we can do to help Darla.

Darla could be any one of us. That is what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbB View Post
    I was glad to see "held without bail"
    which means that someone thinks that this is serious enough that these two lunatics shouldn't be out walking around in public.
    Kudos to the judge who did that!
    BarbB, a later article says they were released, one on $60K bail and the other on $63K bail. Even worse, the charges in that article are only misdemeanors with 1 year jail and $4K fine maximum. I'm just hoping that article is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by Darla K. McCrady View Post
    A&M and Blinn do much good for the students, research and the community. I feel they should not be blamed for Chic‘s death.

But, maybe they could start doing background checks and drug testing on students before they can enroll into the universities.
    I agree wholeheartedly. They check academic and personal achievements; they should also check criminal history. Although unfortunately juvenile records tend to be sealed, so that may not be possible...

Unfortunately, I too can understand all too well your not feeling safe in your own home, or feeling you can keep your animals safe. Do you have any friends or family you could stay with for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by mairzeadoats View Post
    I expected to see something about a demonstration regarding this horrible event. What you posted did NOT make me smile. In fact, I find it insufferably rude and insensitive that you would pick this thread to promote A&M. Nobody here has condemned or blamed A&M for this viscious killing, although quite frankly I find their treatment of their employee, Darla, to be reprehensible.

If you want to promote this university, why don't you take it to its own thread. This thread is about the torture and brutal killing of a defenseless yearling filly. It's about what we can do to ensure justice for Chic. And it's about what we can do to help Darla.

Darla could be any one of us. That is what this thread is about.
    Oh whoah, step back. I was just looking through the Batt to see if there were any more articles on the subject at hand. I came across a picture I thought I'd share, because it made ME smile, and I thought it might make Darla smile as well. I'm sorry you choose not to smile. I don't think, however, that it was the least bit "rude or insensitive," especially following Darla's own post where she states "A&M and Blinn do much good for the students, research and the community." Apparently, she isn't as quick to be upset as you.

I'm sorry, I guess I shouldn't be trying to cheer up the victim by showing her good things going on in her community. I'm only supposed to make posts about what an awful, terrible world this is, and how she's living in a community that has no respect for animals, and how staying in depression is the best way to be. Right? Because personally, if I was feeling unsafe in my home, worried about my horses, and feeling as if nobody around me cared, it WOULD make me feel better to see the positive side of my community and to see that there were others around me celebrating the horse, rather than killing them. It may be a thread to talk about preventing this in the future, but its also a thread about reassuring Darla that those boys were not representative of her community, and as long as the community involved is Texas A&M, then I WILL promote every good thing about A&M that I can. Because maybe then she won't have to feel unsafe. I know I would feel safer in the presense of the Aggie spirit than I would anywhere else. I guess I just try to live in a happier world than you do, and I just wanted to bring some of that to yall. Sorry for trying to help.
    Last edited by archieflies; Oct. 25, 2006 at 08:43 PM. Reason: to clarify meaning
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Angry

The vast majority of posts on this thread are vents of outrage, suggestions for positive action, and expression of condolence and support. Hardly indicative of a lack of caring.

The only uncaring posts I can find have been attempts to derail/hijack the thread by...the grammar police, the moral police and the defenders of A&M from non-attack.

There is something called timing, Archieflies. Something which you clearly lack. If you stopped spending all your time defending A&M from non-existant blame and attacking people who were venting their outrage and horror -- which is all you have written up until now -- you might get that this is not exactly the time or place to promote A&M equine exhibitions.

Try real hard to imagine how you'd feel just 10 days after getting up in the morning and finding, say, your child murdered, drenched in blood. Ready for some cheering up? If so then you really have a problem.

The vast majority of posts on this thread are vents of outrage, suggestions for positive action, and expression of condolence and support. Hardly indicative of a lack of caring.

The only uncaring posts I can find have been attempts to derail/hijack the thread by...the grammar police, the moral police and the defenders of A&M from non-attack.

There is something called timing, Archieflies. Something which you clearly lack. If you stopped spending all your time defending A&M from non-existant blame and attacking people who were venting their outrage and horror -- which is all you have written up until now -- you might get that this is not exactly the time or place to promote A&M equine exhibitions.

Try real hard to imagine how you'd feel just 10 days after getting up in the morning and finding, say, your child murdered, drenched in blood. Ready for some cheering up? If so then you really have a problem.
    Wait, I still don't get where the problem is... How is my timing "bad?" Really, really, really, how is trying to make someone see the positive in their community a BAD thing? I don't think its EVER too early to encourage healing, but if you disagree, that's your choice. It wasn't you I was trying to cheer up. OK, I guess I'll "take back" what I said when Darla says she's offended by it, but I personally don't care if you were offended. You're not who I was talking to.. And who said anything about a lack of caring? I don't believe I was the one accusing anyone of a lack of caring. I don't understand a thing you're saying, I don't think you're reading what I'm saying AT ALL... whatever.

Besides that, I would hardly say I spend "all my time defending A&M." Today, actually, I spent 8 hours in a classroom of seventh graders teaching math, a few hours cooking and cleaning for my husband... and 10 minute son CoTH offering what I thought would be a cheerful note in a time when cheer was needed. ALL my time? Ha! Believe me, I have much more to care about that this.

And, since you tell me to imagine myself with a slaughtered child... yes, cheering up is EXACTLY what I would be needing! Call me crazy, I guess I have a serious problem by your standards. I don't like to be upset. Judge me as you will.

If Darla was offended by the link I posted, then here are my apologies to her: I wish you a swift return of happiness in your life, and I truly, truly believe you live in a good place with good people who will help you in your time of trouble. I won't, however, apologize for calling it a good place. Bad things can happen in good places, yes, and grief is entirely natural. Healing, also, is natural, it just sometimes needs the aide of friends and happy moments to help it along.

And so, mairzeadoats, I am done. Have at me as you wish, but know that my statements will not change and I no longer feel it necessary to worry about how they make you feel.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Thumbs up

BarbB, a later article says they were released, one on $60K bail and the other on $63K bail. Even worse, the charges in that article are only misdemeanors with 1 year jail and $4K fine maximum. I'm just hoping that article is wrong...
    The article is wrong. I spoke to Shane Phelps, the DA prosecuting this case, yesterday, at some length. He states that one of the pending charges (criminal mischief ) is a felony that carries up to a 2 year (?) sentence, and $10K in fines. I think the cruelty to animals charge is a misdemeanor, but when coupled with the CM charge, will probably carry more weight.

Y'all feel free to call Mr. Phelps. He said that the more fuss is raised about this horrific incident, the more likely the miscreants will be held to the higher fines/stiffer punishments. Nice man. His sister is a dressage trainer.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Default ranting with a purpose

It appears as if some people are taking this matter seriously, ie the police and DA's office.
    The 2 asshats were released from jail, one apparently has been tossed from his residence, while the knife wheeling 'petterson' has been allowed back, although the locks had been changed. Apparently his parents don't want him around either. The police however, had an interest in his room, the amount of blood in his room raised concerns with them. He cut his leg during the incident, too bad he didn't cut it deeper. His room was looked at by the police, and it is thought that the self proclaimed "drug-lord" with the big ego, will soon be re-arrested and charged with other offenses.
    Hope they hang the SOB.
    There were 4 boys involved, 2 watchers..........WTF I hope they have some really 'sweet' dreams about all this, what kind of cretins are they to allow their drinking buddy to slice the throat of a horse, a kind and loving animal.
    They , too, have been tossed from their dorm rooms.
    I bet their parents are proud... NOT .

It has been shown that animal abusers go onto high levels of abusivness.
    What kind of men will these people turn into, child molesters, wife beaters, murderers...........I hope the DA's office jumps on this hard, and quickly before the public hue and cry dies down.
    They should be charged with every possible charge, tresspassing, weapons offenses, cruelty to an animal, abuse to an animal, mischief, public drunkeness, and anything else they can dream up.
    Is there a curfew in the town?? How about peeing on the bushes????
    Everything and anything should be used to take these people off the streets.
    School expulsion should be coming soon, it has been almost 2 weeks since this horrific act, the 4 broke the moral conduct code of the school.
    A&M has a terrific reputation, has done alot of good work, and produced fantastic grads working in many segments of society, obviously these 4 will never fit the mold of an 'aggie'. The faster they are tossed, the safer many of its students will feel.
    I for one, would not want to be sitting beside an alledged drug dealer that likes weapons, and freely uses them on animals. Nor would I wish to be in the room with someone that condones that behavior, ie the 2 watchers,or be around a person that thinks using a golf club to spear the dieing animal though its chest is OK.
    I am sick and tired of hearing about and seeing the results of animal abuse.
    As soon as the courts and the public make these offenses more than just a passing hand slap, the sooner some idiots will start thinking of the consequences.............maybe.
    Not just in The US but in Canada , too.

Sorry for the rant, I am truely fed up with child and animal abuse.
    Condolences to Darla, I hope she is strong enough to start living her life again.

Your comment about weapons made me think, did anyone ever determine where they had a polo mallet from? I'd hate to think a member of the polo club was involved. Does anyone know?
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

I just got off the phone with Mr. Phelps. He was incredibly nice and was more than happy to take the time to talk to me.....an Iowa resident who read about this case on the internet. He did say that the process will be expedited and plans are to take the case to the Grand Jury next Thursday, 11/2.

We also spoke about the links between animal cruelty/abuse and child abuse, murderers and rapists. He said they may explore that further by bringing in a psychologist during the punishment phase of the trial, in hopes of getting stiffer sentencing.

I can only hope that if these two slimeballs do go to prison, they get what they deserve from someone large and "needy", as another poster put it! Better yet, they could be slashed and stabbed in a prison brawl and left to bleed out. Preferably after numerous "encounters" with "Bubba".