The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Dear Chicks Saddlery....

...Thank you so much for shipping my order quickly and accurately. However, I have one wee request. Could you please not re-use boxes from other suppliers, like the folks you get your Half-N-Half mini creamers from?

You see, I have this employee. She is very sweet, good worker and an all-around good egg. However, she has these moments when the blonde pod people take her over and she does.... well..... things.

See, your neatly packed shipment containing my order of a saddle pad, lead ropes and rhythm beads came to my office from the nice people at UPS. The address label was correct--clearly stated my name. However, because it was a box from Wholesome Farm Half-N-Half creamers, she put it in the refrigerator. Three days later, I decided that whoever hasn't claimed their box of mini creamers from the company refrigerator would be SOL since it was going in the garbage.

Thankfully I looked at the label first. I threw my head back in relief, as well, because your customer service department was going to be getting a phone call from me wondering where my package was.

Anyway, thank you for your service. I understand that tough economic times are a good reason to "recycle/reuse," but perhaps cover the Wholesome Farm Half-N-Half creamer box in plain brown paper next time and help poor, not-really-a-blonde receptionists everywhere.

Sincerely,

Chocomare

<>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

LOL! My mom is the queen of used box recycling! I get the weirdest packages, which careful inspection reveals have my name and address scrawled on a corner somewhere!

Or they could be Green by re-using the creamer box by turning it inside out, so all of its creamer-ness would be hidden inside.

Just be happy they did not use a tampon box or such.

My complaint about shipping boxes is companies that do not try to be more discreet when shipping. Mr. Trub bought me Muck boots for Christmas. I had to pretend for a whole month that I did not see the box on the front porch. Wherever he ordered from simply taped the 'shoe box' shut and stuck a shipping label on it.

Or good old liquor boxes. That had occasionally been a problem when I'd had UPS deliver things to me at work... Fortunately, cardboard recycles well and I think the ABC stores have begun doing that instead of giving the boxes away, haven't seen one in a coon's age.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Not a shipping reuse, but still. Whenever I move I get all my boxes free from the ABC store. The last place - there was no alcohol allowed on the farm - NONE. So all of my stuff showed up in liquor boxes!!

I got something once in a poptart box. I was tickled by the creative packaging.

Round here recycling cardboard isnt worth a handful of warm spit...The recycling center is renting warehouse space to store it until the price goes up. Makes sense
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

My funniest was getting a girth from an Ebay seller....in a cornflakes box. With a label with my address taped to it.
    Flaky. Very, very flaky.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    My funniest was getting a girth from an Ebay seller....in a cornflakes box. With a label with my address taped to it.
    Flaky. Very, very flaky.
    Dee

Goodness what an idiot.
    You would think that they would at least wrap the boxes in brown paper. USPS states no boxes with liquor or hazards on the box even if that isn't what is in it.
    I am surprised they ship stuff out like that it is so cheesy. Funny though. I wonder what their reply will be?
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

I have gotten an eBay purchase in a tampon box. No worries, a box is a box is a box.

My post office won't accept boxes wrapped in brown paper. Once accidental grab by the machine and the paper is ripped off, along with the address... and your box goes to the black hole in Atlanta and is never delivered.

They are also sticklers for blacking out any existing markings on a box.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

So I bought a used saddle off of tacktrader a few years ago when I was just engaged to my DH. The woman had packaged the saddle up and sent it to me in an infant car seat box with my name and address nicely printed on the top. My DH was the one that accepted the box from UPS while I was at work, and when I walked in the door he was sitting on the couch with this un-opened box and just said "Do you have something that you need to tell me, and we need to talk about?". He was a little freaked until I opened the box and out came the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    ...Thank you so much for shipping my order quickly and accurately. However, I have one wee request. Could you please not re-use boxes from other suppliers, like the folks you get your Half-N-Half mini creamers from?

You see, I have this employee. She is very sweet, good worker and an all-around good egg. However, she has these moments when the blonde pod people take her over and she does.... well..... things.

See, your neatly packed shipment containing my order of a saddle pad, lead ropes and rhythm beads came to my office from the nice people at UPS. The address label was correct--clearly stated my name. However, because it was a box from Wholesome Farm Half-N-Half creamers, she put it in the refrigerator. Three days later, I decided that whoever hasn't claimed their box of mini creamers from the company refrigerator would be SOL since it was going in the garbage.

Thankfully I looked at the label first. I threw my head back in relief, as well, because your customer service department was going to be getting a phone call from me wondering where my package was.

Anyway, thank you for your service. I understand that tough economic times are a good reason to "recycle/reuse," but perhaps cover the Wholesome Farm Half-N-Half creamer box in plain brown paper next time and help poor, not-really-a-blonde receptionists everywhere.

Sincerely,

Chocomare

I seriously just spit on my keyboard. That was bad. But thanks SO very much for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by mjrtango93 View Post
    So I bought a used saddle off of tacktrader a few years ago when I was just engaged to my DH. The woman had packaged the saddle up and sent it to me in an infant car seat box with my name and address nicely printed on the top. My DH was the one that accepted the box from UPS while I was at work, and when I walked in the door he was sitting on the couch with this un-opened box and just said "Do you have something that you need to tell me, and we need to talk about?". He was a little freaked until I opened the box and out came the saddle.
    BWAHAHAHAHA.... Well bless his heart!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Funny! Except I would have been soooo excited to get some new creamer I would have ripped it open the first moment it arrived (if I were the receptionist).
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Default Well. .. I would just like my darn package to ARRIVE!

Order placed on Dec 30th .... still hasn't arrived as of this morning. Expedited shipping my butt! It's a blanket for the new horse and he's really needed it this whole time. He's a big guy 82-84 and I need a cooler for him really bad and I'm very nervous about ordering one.

On the other hand ... it will be interesting to see what kind of box it arrives in!

Quote Originally Posted by WeDoItAll View Post
    Order placed on Dec 30th .... still hasn't arrived as of this morning.
    Have you checked in your fridge?

Hah! This reminds me - a few months back I won a close contact saddle on Ebay. Had it shipped to my parents, as I figured someone would be home there to collect it.

My older brother (a bit older, never really lived at home while I was a horsey kid) accepted a Dell box from UPS and tore into it, thinking it was his new work computer. He saw leather and thought "wow, they even gave me a carrying case! Sweet!" and then was really confused at the shape of his "carrying case" and why there was no computer in the box. Hahaha, poor guy had to wait a few more days for his computer while I ran off to the barn with my new saddle!

hahahahahahahaha...I have absolutely nothing to add here, but these stories are great! I'm here at work cracking up...just what I needed to cheer me up today!

Haha, Before being shipped all words on the box are really supposed to be blacked out with black marker or something like that. The problem with wrapping it in paper is usually by the time the package gets to you unfortunately its been through the ringer, and 99% of the time the paper gets ripped and they do not know where to send it to, unless someone brilliantly puts the address on the inside also.

When I have to wrap a box in paper I put tape on it in a manner that removing the paper is not something that can easily be done. With the clear tape wrapped around the box several times in both directions there is no way to actually just rip the paper off.

With some boxes I can not see how you would remove all other markings with out wrapping them in brown paper.

And here I was thinking my husband must have been the only person to ever receive something shipped in a cereal box (Wheaties box to be exact)...tractor parts from a place in Illinois. I now see that he is not alone.