The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fairfax girths

I have been considering the short dressage girth. Does anyone know why the girth at http://www.hastilowusa.com/girths/pr...ort-girth.html is less than half the cost of other dealers?

That link is the prolite version, the original leather Fairfax girth is more expensive.

Yes it the Prolite verison of the Fairfax Girth. I sell them. Prolite is owned by Fairfax. It is not a leather girth, but made with synthetic material. My customers seem to be really liking them.
    Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
    www.thesaddlefits.com
    Society of Master Saddlers trained saddle fitter

I'm actually going to get the prolite version for my guy. My saddler said he was impressed with the results he'd seen from the Fairfax girth (unfortunately out of our budget) but the prolite seems a really good alternative.

I have the Fairfax (leather) - interesting, they look VERY similar... I didn't realize they made a synthetic version. Post a review of it after you've tried it for a while. My mare is reacting positively to hers - she's a sensitive, girthy mare, and this has been our best girth to date...

I know multiple people who complained after about 10 months of regular use on the same horse.. it got to the point that they no longer used their girths (same with TSF btw), as the curved part began to lift away from the horse, therefor limiting the pressurized section to only about 2" wide, thus causing a lot of discomfort. You could actually fit a horizontal fist under the front of the girth and the horse's underside... just my two cents.

I've had a leather Fairfax on my gelding for about a year. He loves it. It hasn't worn as well as I would have hoped given the price, but I haven't had any issues with fit changing.

Quote Originally Posted by _DressageDiva_ View Post
    I know multiple people who complained after about 10 months of regular use on the same horse.. it got to the point that they no longer used their girths (same with TSF btw), as the curved part began to lift away from the horse, therefor limiting the pressurized section to only about 2" wide, thus causing a lot of discomfort. You could actually fit a horizontal fist under the front of the girth and the horse's underside... just my two cents.
    I've been using my leather Fairfax every day for almost two years and it still looks like new!

The front curves slightly away from the horse, but it's supposed to. That changes when the horse begins moving. However, on mine it's certainly not enough room to fit a fist.

Quote Originally Posted by SBrentnall View Post
    I've been using my leather Fairfax every day for almost two years and it still looks like new!

The front curves slightly away from the horse, but it's supposed to. That changes when the horse begins moving. However, on mine it's certainly not enough room to fit a fist.
    I'm going to assume it was just ironic coincidence. 3 people had the same issue; not sure which model it was, all I know is that it was around $450 (Or so they said). I know they were going to contact the company, but i'm not sure what came of it.

My horse is extremely sensitive, and I just use a plain ol' Lettia Coolmax synthetic girth, but I would eventually like to upgrade to a leather girth with sheepskin lining.. I just didn't see the point in purchasing one in the past because he was growing.

Regarding the curved girths lifting away, this video may provide an explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfS5N-GD4Og