The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Will someone explain how exactly, you go about arresting a horse?
    *Finally returned from the dead.*
    One man's wrong lead is another man's counter-canter.
    - S.D. Price

Quote Originally Posted by Parysa View Post
    Will someone explain how exactly, you go about arresting a horse?

You lean'em against the trailer and have them spread their legs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

The Rolling Stones sooo don't suck!!!

Default huh?

"I'm with slc, i don't get all this hate and bashing and just plain ugliness towards other people. I am so sick of it everywhere, not just with horses."

where did you see this on this thread?

is it hateful to note that someone's horse bolted?

i don't get it. i think you are reading somthing into some of the comments that isn't there. at all.

Default For speeding

Quote Originally Posted by HardHeadedHanna View Post
    I just read in HorseIllustrated that Salinero acted up at WEG and the police had to be called to deal with him. Does anyone have pics of this event? Wwere any of you there and can you give a first hand account.
    Yes the Police arrested Anky and Salinero for going passed the speed-limit at Aachen

I'm waiting for the replay on Cops...especially the 'perp trot-out'.

What's the 'pony paddy wagon' look like? Dream Coach?

But seriously, relax, he/she is just a horse they all act up. They're animals. If all those horses were always controllable, they wouldn't need the horse cops there.
    Cheryl in WNY
    Horse Kids Kit & Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by cheryl ann View Post
    I'm waiting for the replay on Cops...especially the 'perp trot-out'.

What's the 'pony paddy wagon' look like? Dream Coach?

But seriously, relax, he/she is just a horse they all act up. They're animals. If all those horses were always controllable, they wouldn't need the horse cops there.

You are just saying that to help the international coverup.

Truth is, Salinero was on his way to make a score....my sources tell me he was to meet a wellknown dealer in the area, wether to purchase Karotten or Zucker....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Default holy quote batman!

slc, I have never seen a post like this from you! What in the world!?

Dear, do you have your panities in a wad today? Did something happen to you?

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    is that all you got, sannois, when someone doesn't go along with this malarky? 'taking it too personal'? come on, you can do better than that? why don't you go back to the old standby's like anyone who doesn't agree with you beats their horse?

rumor has it salinero is hangin' with low friends in low places. rumor has it that in the lockup, he was seen conversing with a zebra.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    You lean'em against the trailer and have them spread their legs...
    So did he get sent to a "white collar" prison with carrot breaks, all-day pasture turnout and free-choice alfalfa since he's so well-known?
    - S.D. Price

where the stars shine bright all through the night

Gee I didn't realize he had gotten in trouble. I was thinking that it was a thread about new kur music that he would be performing too.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage--Mythbusters
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by indyblue View Post
    If it is "white collar" ,a friend of mines top show horse did time in one for a varity of crimes.He thought it would be a breeze...maybe plow the odd field, do some charity work pulling carts at local fairs, menial stuff like that.Sadly for him being pretty and a gelding,he ended up being some reining stallions bitch for the duration of his stay.Never recovered from it.Last I heard he was serving drinks in some seedy barn down south.
    Oh, how the mighty fall. But let that be a lesson to other horses. You do the crime, you're gonna do the time.
    - S.D. Price

Quote Originally Posted by Parysa View Post
    So did he get sent to a "white collar" prison with carrot breaks, all-day pasture turnout and free-choice alfalfa since he's so well-known?
    If it is "white collar" ,a friend of mines top show horse did time in one for a varity of crimes.He thought it would be a breeze...maybe plow the odd field, do some charity work pulling carts at local fairs, menial stuff like that.Sadly for him being pretty and a gelding,he ended up being some reining stallions bitch for the duration of his stay.Never recovered from it.Last I heard he was serving drinks in some seedy barn down south.

Nah,he's at liberty,on parole teehee!

There is a photo (and some text) of this scene at the bottom of this page:

http://www.eurodressage.com/reports/...ix2-photo.html
    --
    Europe\'s Largest Dressage and Breeding News Related Website
    http://www.eurodressage.com

that's the police horse's job. to be there any time 'bumper cars' are needed. and gee, why would they be there all the time? BECAUSE - because it happens all the time. and it was during the award ceremony, when even some AMERICAN horses have taken off - oh my my my.

what WILL we find to gossip about TODAY?

Default wow

salinero actually looks beautiful in that picture...and she is sitting well. when a horse bolts, many of us tend to tense up and grab at the reins, she's not doing that in this pic...

"At the press conference she said "Salinero really got scared in the prize giving and I did as well. I did the fastest trip today," she joked. "

nice to see that anky has a better sense of humor than some of her slavish devotees...

actually he looks fabulous, and frankly, i like that she didn't yank the crap out of him and set him down or cowboy him. something really startled him. balkenhol had the same thing with goldstern.

Actually the one rein stop saved my ass on Saturday. I started out my lesson in a sweatshirt and felt like I had to take it off after we got warmed up. I asked my coach to hold my horse's rein while I took it off. It went OK until I pulled it over my helmet and my horse panicked for some reason. He leaped up and sideways and my coach lost the rein. He started to take off with me and my instinct was to pull his head to the right into the one rein stop he's been taught. He imediately gave to the bit and doubled around and stopped. He was anxious about the "monster" he saw come over my head but he settled down once I got him stopped. Without that one rein stop I would have been run off with, out of control and probably dumped.

Pulling straight back on a bolting terrified horse really doesn't help much curb bit or not....and it can happen to anyone regardless of how well trained their horse is or how good a rider they are. Horses panic sometimes...it is their nature.

Those "cowboy" tricks can be very useful. No harm in them and they can really save you from a bad wreck.

i'm glad no one was hurt - that's the important thing.

but one question - why do such high calibre horses need bumper cars? i know i'm only a lowly foxhunter - but runaways are NEVER tolerated in the hunt field - and neither is using other horses as bumper cars. and when i evented this was NOT done either.

i realize the dynamic is different of course - nothing like a few thousand screaming fans to get a horses blood up.

on the other hand - being in a field of 80+ extremely fit horses on a cold frosty morning - hounds are screaming - horn blowing, and we're at a hard gallop in a huge hayfield surrounded by deer hunters shooting at deer.

and the horses blood is up too - and all their herd instincts are at a peak. and most certainly they are not as beautifully trained as an olympic level horse. and yet - butter wouldn't melt in their mouth - even the crazy thoroughbreds (green horses excepted)

i'm not picking on anky - i would have asked this question regardless of the rider. regardless of training or discipline - runaways happen for all sorts of reasons. but i am suprised, given the level and exquisite training, that this issue would be common enough to warrant polices horses being stationed to stop runaways.

JSwan...I will say that I am shocked to hear that she screamed for help and ran into other horses. That is very dangerous and I remember one of the worst wrecks I ever saw years ago in an eventing warmup ring where a horse ran away out of control and crashed into another horse. The horse that got run into had to be destroyed and both riders were injured. I'm glad no one was hurt in this instance.

What was so funny about my incident Saturday was that I had friends there watching my lesson and I had just discussed the one rein stop with them as they have a horse that is bolting. They got a great demonstration that I never planned! Later, I showed them how to teach it first from the ground so the horse learns to give to the rein and later how to confirm it under saddle.