The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

The owner of Silverwood Farm actually posts on this board. She has posted in the Breeding Forum on ocassion.

Yes, I would probably get a hint of wonder and worry if I saw the conditions you did, but they did get destroyed by a tornado recently. She had photos on her website of the destruction. One of the photos showed her horses standing in deep water that used to be their pasture.

I don't think your post was bitchy at all, but rather genuinely curious and wondering - what the heck?? And also your concern makes sense, being that you are so closely connected to Art Deco - having a foal from him. I too have checked out the people and facilities of my horses' sires and dams, just out of curiosity. If you had no knowledge of the tornado, you would have every right to wonder what the heck is going on.

But yeah, I imagine the facility was a little more spectacular before the tornado.

Here is a link to the "tornado page" that Liz put on her website. It shows the magnitude of the destruction.
    http://www.silverwoodfarm.com/tornado.htm

TS, which part of this would you worry about? the muddy horses? Your comments are almost as ignorant as the OP's comments.

After confirming that this was, in fact, the correct Silverwood I was shocked to see a small group of muddy horses, a run-down house and indoor, and no sign of any workers/clients/regular hustle and bustle so to speak.
    People who have been on the property say the house and indoor are not run down. You can see the condition of the indoor and a little of the property in the inspection photos . The OP can see from the aerial photo on the history page of the website she admires so much that any activity would not be out by the road but back by or behind the arena. According to the website you can only see the roof of the arena from the road. Stallion paddocks are behind the arena. How could she possibly make such an assessment by driving by?

The foot just goes further and further into her mouth.

I do not believe the OP is being honest about her intentions here.

It does not add up.

Quote Originally Posted by Moho View Post
    I was simply expressing my surprise when I drove past the facilities -- I have, of course, dreamed of one day visiting the home of that world-class bloodline and amazing website... perhaps anything less than a golden barn would have done , but you have to admit (if you have seen the website/Art Deco and then see the barn, it is a little different).
    I have had the opportunity to tour a few breeding farms before. Some of them were spectacular, and some were very ordinary. The most notable was Dan McWhirter Quarter Horses, who stood the world class, AQHA and NSBA Hall of Fame pleasure stallion, The Invester. They are super incredibly nice people, but their facility was very much like any of ours.

I was expecting to see glamour and ritz, but in fact there was mud and normal paddocks and even a dirty stall or two. I think for me, it wasn't a feeling of disdain or condemnation, but rather a "Wow, they're just like ME!" It made me feel very at home that they were salt of the earth people who put their britches on one leg at a time, just like me. There was the casual unrolled hose, the trailer parked out front missing a wheel, and things like that.

Their horses were phenomenal and I still don't think I've picked my jaw up from the ground. But their babies were all together in a big paddock that was kind of muddy. The punkins had burrs in their little tailes, and were friendly and curious. They were not china dolls locked in stalls in full body suits which is what I had expected.

I love that farm and those people, and they took fantastic care of my mare while she was there for breeding. But their farm was just as ordinary as mine, and I guess it was a shocker, but not in a bad way. Their site is wonderful too: http://www.danmcwhirter.com/

But their babies were all together in a big paddock that was kind of muddy. The punkins had burrs in their little tailes, and were friendly and curious
    You and the OP need to get out more. I think you will find that most breeding farms let the youngsters be youngsters living in a herd and do not bring them all in each day for grooming and primping!

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    You and the OP need to get out more. I think you will find that most breeding farms let the youngsters be youngsters living in a herd and do not bring them all in each day for grooming and primping!
    Many barns competeing their babies in halter commonly pamper weanlings and yearlings. When your weanlings and yearlings look like this, trust me, they most certainly ARE pampered, sweated, stalled, etc. I grew up in the AQHA show world and babies were commonly stalled and then allowed turnout in small groups to the indoor arena, or individually in a larger paddock where they could run. They were not commonly housed together in a large group in an outdoor paddock with a run in shed. Their coats were meticiulously groomed, and weanlings at 5 and 6 months of age stood cross tied to be body clipped and blanketed. They were doted on and received a tremendous amount of human interaction and attention. They were taught to square up and get on the trailer like a big horse and go to a show.

I was happily amazed to learn that Dan and his wife allow their babies to live "out" and they don't push their halter career at a young age.

http://www.jlperformancehorses.net/specklufkin.jpg (weanling)
    http://www.rockingmqh.com/StraitSierraARWCb.jpg (world champion weanling)
    http://www.4barm.com/rocker02.jpg (yearling)
    http://www.carolinefyffe.com/shows/972/dsc_0224_std.jpg (yearling)
    http://www.carolinefyffe.com/shows/972/dsc_0128.htm (yearling)

Out in a herd, wild and wooly, is the norm for youngsters on a a sporthorse or wb breeding farm. I think most horse people consider it healthy and appropriate to raise athletes this way.

Not sure what your point is with the show pics. These horses are tarted up for inspections and shows too. Did you look at any of the inspection photos?

I think I'll give up now.

Totally inappropriate and libelous... MoHo...who are you?

Silverwood Farm was the pioneer breeder who developed the Colored Sport Horses in the US. I remember the day Liz unloaded her first crop of Deco babies at Devon...what foresight and vision! I respect the work of decades she has devoted to breeding and contributing her flair and talent to promote the uses of the Internet. Her sites and those of her clients are without question informative, innovative, pro-active and lovely. I have been to her farm..it is not unlike any other privately owned breeding farm. Liz is genuine, gracious and will make her time and horses including, her stallions, available to her visitors.

You are obviously uninformed ..not a fan..perhaps..fishing for something..otherwise why name the farm? Just pose a generic question instead of sticking a finger in the eye of THE person responsible for the fact you actually have an Art Deco baby! So leave her alone..you are totally alone on this thread. Disgusting!
    Tradition of "Grande" Sporthorse Champions
    Couture Du Jour - Devon Winner '10 & '12 & PHSA Champ '10
    Grande Desire & Impression '08-10 PHSA Champs
    Grande Sovereign -CH & HB Sire

I know how they feel at silverwood, our farm was hit by a tornado this past april. Even though it was one that was just forming it ripped the roof off of our new barn (we had been finished with it for two days). My husband and I plus a few friends built it from scratch. We didn't have insurance on it yet since we had just completed it! It was horrible we were on our way to put the horses in the barn when it happened, our horses took off through the paddock and we were wondering why, as my husband and I stood outside our back door holding feed buckets it went by, it also moved our horse trailer about 4 feet from where it was parked. So I can only imagine the horror from an F3. I am just so thankful none of their horses or humans were hurt. Tornados suck!!!

Perhaps I should have specified WB or Sporthorse breeding farms since that is what we were talking about. This is the norm for youngsters on this type of breeding farm. Out in a herd, wild and wooly.
    My point was that I was amazed to learn that a world class farm could look and feel just like my very own farm. This was in response to the OP's observation that Silverwood Farm wasn't shining with glitz and glamour. YOU chose to single out one line from my post and tell me I "need to get out more" because I don't know what I'm talking about. I was clearly speaking of QH babies at a QH farm when you told me I need to get out more because I don't know what I'm talking about. So I corrected you.

Anyway - I wouldn't support anyone wishing to be hurtful or slanderous about Silverwood either. I just thought that perhaps the OP's post was made out of genuine concern or curiosity. But I really don't know.........

Warmbloods/sporthorse babies in the Olympic disciplines are not pampered, stalled, groomed to within an inch of their life, and although we do show them in breed shows, they are not by ANY means of the imagination thought of as 'halter horses'. They also grow up to compete successfully under saddle, which I understand many of the QH halter horses do not. It was just noted on another thread that Idocus won the young stallion championship at Dressage at Devon (a 'halter' class if you will) many years ago, and has since competed in the Olympics at Grand Prix and just came back to Dressage at Devon last week to win again at Grand Prix.

We bring our babies in from the field, brush them off, sometimes bathe them, clean up the halters and bring them to a show, braid them and bring them in the ring. They go back home, off the trailer and back out into the field. They're not kept market pork fat. Maybe the OP came from a QH background. Who knows, but it did sound as if there was an ulterior motive in the post.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

Default Wow.

"database error"

Default Wow.

The original post had me speechless.

What the hell does it matter if the *barn* isn't "world class" (whatever that means--does it have to be polished mahogany and brass or is some sort of hardwood with teak detailing and powdercoat steel ok? Geez.) or if the *house* is "run down"?

The horses (which one would hope are the important part of the equation) are lovely and have food, water, turnout etc. etc. And "muddy"? So effin' what?

Maybe it was just a grand lapse in judgement from the OP to post all the identifying details, and maybe she was just innocently in awe that such a fancypants horse had such a, let's say, "unostentatious" home.

But there sure seems to be some nastiness in there.

the description is the norm for sport horses which as babies need to be outside in groups and running around in whatever weather in order to grow, develop and be strong healthy adults. the owner of silverwood is a very nice person and knowledgeable. i'm sure she is doing the best she can under the circumstances, but wow, thanks for the concern.

art deco was and always will be a super stallion that many people have offspring from and just love.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    ... which as babies need to be outside in groups and running around in whatever weather in order to grow, develop and be strong healthy adults.
    Absolutely agree! I only wish more people could see that.

Liz Hall is a class act. I only bred one mare to Art Deco years ago and my foal's pic is still in her slide show. I think of Liz fondly as she has always been good to mare owners. A friend of mine has bred to Sempatico for two years in a row, and Liz always delivers the semen on time and is among the stallion owners that people LIKE to deal with -- year after year.

My Deco foal was one of four full siblings. The two brothers were both well over 17H and the mom was 16.1.

The OP may have been asking innocently but very naively.

Most of us keep our youngsters outside and they are rough looking.

I know a warmblood facility built on major financial investment and all the youngsters live outside without even a run-in for rain. (We don't get a lot in SoCal.)

Horses are healthier left outside.

It's not fair to comment on the appearance of anyone's operation in a forum.

Wow. What a post. Here I thought when I opened it that it would be more raves & wonderful info about my all-time favorite stallion. The stallion I'm saving my pennies in the hope that by the time I reach a point in my life where I can justify breeding a foal, he will still be alive & well & have available semen.

I can understand being startled, as someone else mentioned, that such famous stallions get to live such 'normal' lives...complete with the joys of rolling in mud. Or at how peaceful the farm was without people running everywhere. Especially, as was also mentioned, if you are used to the quarterhorse or Arab world where the horses, including babies, are blanketed, clipped, stalled, and under lights at all times with turnout strictly restricted.

And as far as Art Deco's height. Pfft. He's an old man. We all get a bit smaller as we age. Just ask my grandfather (he's about 6" shorter in his 70s than he was in his 20s). And I don't know ANY horse who looks as big out relaxed in its pasture as they do all gussied up & "on" for a show or a display. For that matter, a 17.2h TB that my trainer had in for training awhile back looked about 16h when you saw him even in a short distance away.

I think the OP owes Liz an apology.

What a simply awful post. If it was not meant as sheerly mean spirited the OP could use a few lessons in tact and writing.

The OP's attitude is one reason we have no sign, no big gateposts and no hint to the public that we are where we are.

My mares and foals are out 24/7 for their own benefit. They are allowed to be horses. My barn is maintained for their benefit, but not for show.

Angry

I passed a sign for "Silverwood Farm" the other day and thought I would slow down... this is, in fact, the final home of the famous Art Deco -- sire to my own horse and star of the farm's gorgeous website www.silverwoodfarm.com.

After confirming that this was, in fact, the correct Silverwood I was shocked to see a small group of muddy horses, a run-down house and indoor, and no sign of any workers/clients/regular hustle and bustle so to speak.
    How did you confirm this?

When I pointed this out to area trainer, they also filled me in on the fact that when they saw Art Deco years ago he was "barely 16 hands." (I know that height can be hard to judge, but the website said 16.2h).

Now I don't want to make assumptions -- I didn't tour the whole property and I never saw Art Deco myself. .
    But you DID "tour' the property uninvited? Are you sure you didn't see Art Deco hidden under all that mud he must have been standing in?

How is it possible, in the small horse world that we live in, that 1. I was oblivious that the barn was not world-class/not like the website and Art Deco might not be 16.2 or 16h, 2. This trainer seems to think the horse was much shorter than the website advertised and 3. I can't get a straight picture of what the place and horse are all about from anyone or anywhere!
    You don't hesitate to bring up the name of Silverwood or Art Deco but you don't mention the name of the "area trainer"! What "straight picture" are you looking for?

I have mulled over this post all morning and it's so inappropriate on so many levels. MOHO, you really need to get a grip.....as has been mentioned previously, homes of great and famous stallions can be the creme de la creme like Hilltop or Iron Spring Farms where visitors are ga-ga at the sumptious surroundings, or they are farms like mine and others just trying to make a living and get by and enjoy the work. If Art Deco wasn't what he had been advertised to be in every way he certainly would not have been as successful a sport horse stallion as he was.

Shame, shame on you MOHO for being hurtful and obtuse for reasons only you must know.

Quote Originally Posted by Critters Everywhere View Post

I can understand being startled, as someone else mentioned, that such famous stallions get to live such 'normal' lives...complete with the joys of rolling in mud. Or at how peaceful the farm was without people running everywhere. Especially, as was also mentioned, if you are used to the quarterhorse or Arab world where the horses, including babies, are blanketed, clipped, stalled, and under lights at all times with turnout strictly restricted.
    Yep, that's kind of how I took the original post. And maybe because I've been in that situation of realizing that some "big name" barns are down to earth and the ponies get to be ponies, including glorious mud rolling! (their favorite past time!)

illusion21 Guest

Default wow.

That is quite a rude posting. It makes me mad just reading it.

I lived on a breeding farm all my life. Yes its filled with muddy horses in "run down" pastures. No, people don't go out everyday to brush them for the people like you who drive by and expect the "world class" breeding farm.

You may see a "run down" place while others see the most well known breeder in the business with premium foals and successful stallions.

Maybe you should take a step back and realize it is not about the look of the farm. It is about the horses.

duh.