The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Do any of you tow with a Ford Explorer?

Maybe you guys can help me. I want to buy a 2 horse trailer, but I'm not sure if my 98 V6 Ford Explorer can tow it? Anyone know the average weight for most fully enclosed 2 horse trailers, and if my truck can handle the job?

Thanks in advance!

Thumbs down No way.

That is *not* enough truck.

So how much does the average fully enclosed 2 horse trailer weigh? I understand some are made of different materials and some have tack rooms, some don't. Anyone have a clue?

Just because you can pull it, doesn't mean you can stop it (or stabilize it, for that matter!). An Explorer is absolutely not enough truck. Please don't put you or your horses at risk.

Red face

You might be able to do it for a little while(until you tear up the engine or transmission). It definitely is not enough vehicle for towing.I have a Jimmy(similar size vehicle). I think the specs on towing for that is max 2000lb. You have to consider not only trailer wgt, but horse wgt, and weight of all the other stuff you are towing(hay, tack, etc).

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO......and on and on...

First, a V6 pulling horses will last about 6 months. Then you will buy either a new transmission, a new truck, OR BOTH. FORGET IT.

Second, the weight of an Explorer is WAY TOO LIGHT. The trailer will pull you all over the road, and you would have a VERY hard time on the highway getting up to speed. AND STOPPING...YIKES!

And finally...the wheelbase is WAY TOO short, making your turning and backing difficult, and making your whole rig susceptible to flipping.

Trade it in on a 3/4 ton or better. If you DO by a 1/2 ton, MAKE SURE it has the towing package, and that you are ONLY hauling a 2 horse. I have a steel two horse bumper pull, extra tall, extra wide, it weighs 3500 lbs empty. With one 1200lb horse in it, my original tow vehicle, a 1/2 ton, was pretty much maxed.

Got a new truck, 3/4 ton....now I'm looking for a bigger gooseneck!!!!!
    My boys...
    http://community.webshots.com/user/FirstStepBack
    RIP Gem...for you are the greatest...thank you for the inspiration...I will always remember you!
    Gem Twist (1979-2006)

Measure the wheelbase of your Explorer. Measure from the center of the front wheel to the center of the back wheel on the same side. How long is the wheelbase? Shorter than 120 inches? Then you should not pull a regular 2 horse trailer. The LONGER your wheelbase, the more stable your truck & trailer will be, and the less likely you are to have a rollover accident. (Remember, the Explorers of that vintage are particularly given to rollover accidents - Ford Motor Co. lost those suits in court, I believe, & U-Haul already would not rent even their small trailers to Explorer drivers BEFORE the court suit.)

You MIGHT be able to pull a Brenderup which is a specially engineered lightweight trailer. Personally, due to the Explorer's history of rollover accidents (poorly engineered vehicle), I would not tow ANY trailer with it, even a Brenderup.

Two horse trailers weigh in the range of about 2,000 lbs & up EMPTY.

Do a search on this board using key words like "towing", "truck", "trailer", "Brenderup", etc.

Do a quick internet search & find the websites for Brenderup (or any trailer you might be looking at) plus the website for Ford Motor Co., which will give you all the specifications for an Explorer.

Thumbs down don't even think about it or you risk injury or death

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
    no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Cool Flamesuit all buttoned up......

I have a 2H aluminum 4-Star walkthrough that I haul with my '02 Explorer. The car is rated for 5500lbs GTW. The hitch has anti-sway bars and it pulls like there is no trailer behind it.
    I have taken it as far as Galena, IL - a 4-hour haul with some steep roads - and never had a problem. I have hauled in some incredibly awful downpours (not from choice) and trailer never felt like it was out of control or would not stop.
    Before this I pulled the same trailer with a Chevy Blazer for 6 years and went through 3 sets of brakes.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Cool

you are going to get killed one of these days.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    you are going to get killed one of these days.
    Can my horses come to live with you when I go?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Wink

yes - i tow with proper equipment so your horses will be ok as long as they don't pi** off my little goat, emma. she is the anti-christ.

i can't help it - towing properly was beaten into me by my dad and the us army.

Thumbs down Holy Crap NO

Hell I dont even thing my 1500 Dodge Ram V8 full size bed is enough.. but it is for one horse. There no wheel base on those little explorers. I would say you could pull a utility trailer, you know lawn mowers etc.. But maybe not even that. At the very least that could hapen you look in the rear view Mirror and see the Trannie and engine Smoldering in the middle of the road! What everyone said! NOOOOO
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Default ITs called...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I have a 2H aluminum 4-Star walkthrough that I haul with my '02 Explorer. The car is rated for 5500lbs GTW. The hitch has anti-sway bars and it pulls like there is no trailer behind it.
    I have taken it as far as Galena, IL - a 4-hour haul with some steep roads - and never had a problem. I have hauled in some incredibly awful downpours (not from choice) and trailer never felt like it was out of control or would not stop.
    Before this I pulled the same trailer with a Chevy Blazer for 6 years and went through 3 sets of brakes.
    Dumb Luck, And tempting fate!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The best transmission man I know calls them the Ford Exploder. We couldn't find a salvage yard that would even sell us a used one. All it ever towed was a small boat. It's your money.

In the Explorer's defense... I had mine for almost 10 years (it was a '91) and over 200K miles and had only one real issue with with (why oh why did Ford put the plastic clutch fluid reservoir inside the bell housing I'll never know). It was still running fine when I retired it.

Having said that, I got my F250 PSD before I got my trailer

I'd have thought twice about pulling an empty trailer with the Explorer much less a loaded trailer. Someone at the barn I used to keep my horse at pulled her horse and trailer with an Explorer and I'd cringe everytime I'd see them come up the driveway...

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    Maybe you guys can help me. I want to buy a 2 horse trailer, but I'm not sure if my 98 V6 Ford Explorer can tow it? Anyone know the average weight for most fully enclosed 2 horse trailers, and if my truck can handle the job?

Thanks in advance!

OMG you are stupid. Seriously, there should be an IQ test required before you are allowed to purchase animals or have kids.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

*shudders* nooooo.

Trade it in and get a 3/4 ton. People are morons on the road as it is, you don't want to make it any easier for them to kill you.
    Arm yourself with a well maintained truck that is equipped to pull substantially more then you need it to pull and a well-maintained trailer and don't tempt fate before then. Perhaps an F-250?

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post

OMG you are stupid. Seriously, there should be an IQ test required before you are allowed to purchase animals or have kids.
    Was that necessary? At least she asked the question before hooking it up - I came back from a VHSA show where someone had the brilliant presence of mind to pull a 2 horse with a JEEP .

For the record, I learned to drive in an Explorer, and I *hate* that car. It drives like a washing machine - all boxy. I actually like driving the 1980something F-350 better then the 95 explorer. I would *never* haul with it, though I've considered using it on occasion for other barn chores.

Forget the fact that the wheelbase is way too short to safely manage a horse trailer. The 1998 wheelbase is even shorter than 2dogsfarm's 2002. Your V-6 simply is not designed to pull that kind of a load.

Please don't try it. Wait on the trailer until you can trade the Explorer in on a full size truck.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett