The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation Update: horses Shiloh Acres trying to save from feedlot- truck ships tonight

Went to the feedlot this Am. pictures taken and coming:

If interested in any please CALL AMBER 970 218 6351

Many horses have came and went in a few days. The broker says he shipped yesterday (there are horses missing) and is shipping again tonight. The load tonight is going to MEXICO, which is much worse than the slaughter plant. I have seen horses that have come here from Mexico, and that is what I am basing my judgement on. Many will be sent to slaughter there are used for mexican rodeo.

the grey 6 y.o. TB mare is there but sold to Mexico, supposibly as a racehorse

Amber I picked the most adoptable ones. They are:

Bay Standardbred mare, tattooed as Sue Le Plague, broodmare with good bloodlines. we rode her at a walk bareback with a healter and she was great. She has old scars on her hind legs but it very sound and trots (not paces). Swaybacked from years of motherhood. Very good natured, early 20's I beleive

Bay/White Pony, 13-14 hands. I saw this one at the auction 2 weeks ago and somehow it's managed to stay at the feedlot that long. She is old, late 20's, but sweet as a doll, legs as clean as they can be, great to ride at a walk/trot bareback with leadrope. Gotten attached to a minitaure donkey would really wants to get out, too.

Big, 16 Hand, fleabitten grey TB mare, no tattoo, branded from Somberero ranch. Again, super awesome disposition, following us around, beaten up from being there but clean legged and sound. Nice, typey, classy horse. Rode SUPER well bareback with halter- turns on a dime. GREAT DISPOSITION mid teens

Appaloosa, black with blanket on but, late teens, 15 hands, EASY KEEPER, rode well bareback, a bit lazy

Also 3 yearlings, one pretty Palomino who would make a great pony jumper. One well put together black appy with blanket on but, injured neck but should heal, one sorrel dun filly. The appy and red dun are halter broke, manes cut, great dispositions. The Palomino is feeling his oats

Amber is OUT of room. We have a few stalls at friends places but mainly she needs to get some more adopted taht she has (www.shilohacres.org) so she can bring some home. OR we need these to have designated homes once we get them healthy. We can keep them in quarantien and get them vetted at adopters expense.

Thanks for reading Photos and videos coming as soon as I can

Pregger mare still hasnt foaled, but getting bigger bags! Champion Lodge is still not out of hospital, still dont know when he can come home

Margaret

Do we have prices on anything?

Amber just updated her site that answers a lot of our questions...some prices still need to be set, but there are pictures up. She's about $120 short of the money she needs for the pregnant QH mare. The shipment is tonight, so there's next to no time, but who knows...maybe someone out there can help. Amber's especially anxious to help the two youngsters that she has listed.

Take a look: http://www.shilohacres.org/wst_page9.html
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

I know this is probably too far, too late and too little for the yearlings, but I can provide a home for one of them. I can send a dribble her way, for use for either the pregnant mare (my she is a handsome girl) or the yearlings...or whoever.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Yikes, not even the mre is safe, the one that Amber's ALREADY written a check for (without the funds to cover it)!!! And SO MANY MORE...

Just sent a dribble; it should at least help keep the mare off the truck, or cover the check. Yikes is right.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Just to clarify, Amber has until tomorrow to cover the check...but the others on the lot are at risk of shipping tonight. Not much of a difference, but the mare won't ship tonight at least.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

I just spoke with Amber of Shiloh Acres at 6:40 p.m. est. I called her to see if the pregnant little mare still needed any funds. Here is the update Amber gave me: The pregnant mare is safe; a lady just called her and paid off the purchase price and is also a likely adopter. Amber is really trying to save the two youngsters and is working on getting prices for them as well as some others, including the old STB mare. She has a possible foster home lined up. There is a very crippled, in pain, and severely foundered Morgan mare that she is trying to save as a mercy rescue. She can barely stand and she thinks the feedlot owner may sell her cheaper because she would be very unlikely to be able to stay upright in the truck. Another bit of info: the reason this shipment is going to Mexico is because this group of horses includes 3 BLM Mustangs and Amber says the U.S. slaughterhouses will not take them (or at least the Illinois slaughterhouse won't). She says that for this reason he's sending them to Mexico and "figured he might as well send the whole group". I told her Alternative Options for Horses will help cover bail money on a horse if she's short or there is an urgent need for feed, etc. I think I got all that info straight-Safehorses and FatPalomino, feel free to correct me on anything as needed.
    Last edited by gwenrowdy; Sep. 21, 2006 at 07:28 PM.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Please - bumping - don't let the Morgan mare suffer any more.

And so grateful to the adopters and those who helped cover bail.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

The only question I have right now GR is the price of the two youngsters...she has them listed as $300 each, but does that mean she's trying to get a lower price if she buys both?
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

I may have misunderstood her, SH, when she said she was trying to get a price on several of the horses: the two subjects may have overlapped. She really does want to save the youngsters if possible. Wonderful gal, depressing conversation. I'm an old Standardbred fan and the thought of that old mare going to Mexico makes me sick, not to mention the pitiful condition of the Morgan mare.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Why do the slaughter trucks always leave the night before I get paid?

That thoroughbred mare sounds very adoptable, what a shame if she goes.

catknsn, my heart just sank when I read she was going to Mexico. Such a terrible end for a horse.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses

Yes, that Thoroughbred sounds VERRRRY nice.

Not the one going to Mexico - now there is ANOTHER one listed, big, dead broke, etc. Older. But still. Very saleable if someone would get the poor thing to a proper barn - big, gray, broke, apparently sound, what's not to like?

Here's the description:

Big, 16 Hand, fleabitten grey TB mare, no tattoo, branded from Somberero ranch. Again, super awesome disposition, following us around, beaten up from being there but clean legged and sound. Nice, typey, classy horse. Rode SUPER well bareback with halter- turns on a dime. GREAT DISPOSITION mid teens

That's the one I was talking about; the one going to Mexico as a racehorse is apparently not available. This (new) one is apprently destined for Mexico, also, though, as tht's where the whole BUNCH is going.

I sent $100 via PayPal earlier today to help with the 6 year old TB mare -- could that be used for the other one? I've also emailed someone who emailed me about a gelding that might make a hunt horse for his son. The gelding would not work and is already placed, but this mare might. Why can't this crap be stopped and why can't this feedlot be reported for accepting BLM mustangs and shipping them to Mexico? What would it take to help the older TB mare? Damn, I wish the younger one could go to a decent home!
    PennyG

I see other horses on the lot as well. Why aren't they shown? I'm looking for a well broke horse that is not stubborn and not cranky for my daughter.....I see that someone has already stepped in to adopt the mare which is marvelous!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Just talked to Amber

Truck delayed until 7 AM tomorrow so you still have tonight if you want one.

Teenage TB mare has a local home, hurray!

Black/white pony has a local home, hurray!

Standardbred mare, $550

Adult appaloosa, $525

Appaloosa yearling, $300, very interested party but not safe for sure yet. They are trying to evaluate his neck injury.

Red dun yearling filly, very sweet! She is sound, just has a mild club foot that she may grow out of with proper trimming. (We had a polo pony who stayed sound with a club foot so I know it does not always impair use) $300

Palomino yearling colt - a bit more flighty than the others but a fancy mover. All 3 of these may have come from the same place. $300

Dapple gray older pony still available, just $450.

There is someone willing to quarantine board the babies - they are all sniffly - so someone can keep them to get them healthy for you if you are interested.

If you can take one, call Amber 970-218-6351

Bumping for these very reasonably priced, very needy, very nice horses.

9 more hours to help them!