The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Update: Shiloh Acres kept the mare off the truck

I just got a call from Amber at Shiloh Acres, she's doing some last minute dialing to see if she can find someone to step forward and save a very pregnant mare on the lot she pulls horses from. According to Amber, the mare looks to have come from a local ranch operation, she's bagged up and could pop any day now. Unfortunately, the truck is supposed to come tomorrow and if she hasn't foaled by then, off she goes to Cavel. Nice, huh?

Amber has called some CO rescues that she knows about, there is one who can take her, but they did just take an injured young horse from her last week who needs a ton of medical work and they don't have the ready cash to pay her bail ($750). So, she's looking to spread the word about her as far as she can and she's also trying to keep the mare off the truck tomorrow.

She didn't have her camera with her, but is heading back out there right now to take pictures and post them on her site. If you can take her, her number is also on the site and the best thing to do is to give her a call and she can help you much faster that way.

Her site is at: http://www.shilohacres.org/wst_page9.html and she's put up a brief description and will add the photo tonight and is also checking to see if she has papers.

I'm not affiliated with Amber in any way, and I've pretty much posted all I know about the mare, this is just my way of trying to spread the word if there is anyone out there in CO or a neighboring state who can help her out. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by SafeHorses; Sep. 18, 2006 at 05:54 PM.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

You may want to change the title of the thread. Put Urgent...maregetting ready to foal.. headed for slaughter etc. You may get a better response.

How anyone could let their mare that is so close to foaling go to auction....
    Breaks my heart!!!!!!

Cavel is the slaughterhouse.
    Proud Anti-Slaughter Handwringer http://www.tbfriends.com/

Front Range Equine Rescue has sponsored $250 to buy the pregger mare. We also have a place for her to go short term. Amber is going back this afternoon to see if she will drop tonight, try to take pictures, and see if the kill buyer will hold her off the truck tommorrow.

Margaret

The Commercial Safe Transport to Slaughter regulations state:

". . . prior to the commercial transportation of equines to a slaughtering facility, the shipper or owner must complete and sign an owner-shipper certificate for each equine being transported. . . and must include specified information including. . .a statement of the equine's fitness to travel (a statement that the equine is able to bear weight on all four limbs, is able to walk unassisted, is not blind in both eyes, is older than 6 months of age, and is not likely to give birth during the trip."

Furthermore it states, "Equines that are likely to give birth during transport can develop serious complications if they foal during transport. In addition, the mare's and foal's well-being could be in danger. Among other things 88.4(a)(3)(vii) states that an equine cannot be transported if it is likely to give birth during the trip. If an owner/shipper thinks it's possible that a mare is close to delivering, the owner/shipper should not put the mare on the conveyance. If an owner/shipper transports a late-term pergnant mare that gives birth during transport, the owner/shipper may be found in violation of the regulations. In addition, the owner/shipper could be found to have falsified the owner/shipper certificate. . . ."

Perhaps in a nice way Amber should point this out to the FO. IF she gives birth enroute he is violating the regs and could be charged with not one but two violations.

I hate to have to be the one to point this out, but if you tell a killer buyer that he can't ship a pregnant mare, he is just going to keep her there another week or so, let her foal, break the foal's neck, and ship the mare.

The only way for either of them is to be safe is to get them out of there. I hate giving people like this money, too, but I understand that it is hard to walk away from these horses. It's a tough situation. I suspect that this particular killer buyer is getting smart and realizing the bleeding heart girls will give him more money than a horse is worth. Cavel will not give him $750 for that mare. I wonder if Amber can make him a lower offer? $500 would be more than he'll get for her for meat.

Quote Originally Posted by catknsn View Post
    I hate to have to be the one to point this out, but if you tell a killer buyer that he can't ship a pregnant mare, he is just going to keep her there another week or so, let her foal, break the foal's neck, and ship the mare.

The only way for either of them is to be safe is to get them out of there. I hate giving people like this money, too, but I understand that it is hard to walk away from these horses. It's a tough situation. I suspect that this particular killer buyer is getting smart and realizing the bleeding heart girls will give him more money than a horse is worth. Cavel will not give him $750 for that mare. I wonder if Amber can make him a lower offer? $500 would be more than he'll get for her for meat.

I think we are all well aware that making a stink would jeopardize Amber's efforts.

I believe bryn was just pointing out that rules exist and that these are broken on a daily basis for profit.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Most the time rules aren't broken for profit at all.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

There is nothing wrong with saying, "aren't you afraid you might get hit with a transport violation if this mare foals enroute to Cavel? How about leaving her here and giving me a few more days to get the money together to buy her."

All is true.

Yes, people "break the rules" or "stretch the rules" all the time. . . because they can. Often though they think no one is noticing.

BUMP! the shipment is tomorrow. Can we twist the driver's arms? tell him anything! just to get him to wait until we find a home for the mare.

Can someone please take this mare? I'm too far away from her.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

I changed the title of the thread, but I am trying to be respectful of those on the board who feel they get bombarded with "save this horse from the truck" threads. I really want to help the mare, so I don't want to upset anyone.

I asked Amber when she called me if the killer buyer knew that he was violating the regulation mentioned above. He knows...she sounded resigned to the fact that if she brings it up, he'll blow it off because he has before. Who's going to force him?
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

Amber could net get the kill buyer on a 'clear line" (i.e. ok reception) tonight. She is calling first thing tommorrow to see if he will hold the mare for a few days, buying her some more time.

Unfortunetly, the laws are only as effective as those that enforce them. The kill buyer has said the slaughter house is letting "smaller" horses go through now, i.e. babies.

As for the price, I also asked Amber about that. She says she has seen the receipts from Cavel, and they pay him by weight. He has shipped many a pregger mare before. She is, well, 1 1/2 times a normal horse. BTW, as of a few weeks ago, Cavel was paying him 0.70- 0.89$ a pound. They give him the highest rate, higher than Joe Blow that calls them, as he is their biggest supplier and I beleive guarantees themx amount a week (he usually provides between 200-500 a WEEK). The kill buyer has also kept his prices consistant with Amber for the last year or two she's been buying from him.

Momma needs a home!!!! Please someone step up. We can find a place to keep her here for a while. This should be on heck of a nice sane sound hardy ranch horse (both mom and baby!)

OH MY GOD, He is breaking the law right? If so how does he keep getting away with this? I am really beginning to think this world is more full of bad people then good people. I see how hard to good people work in helping the horses but to often to bad prevail. I hope and pray this mare and her unborn foal will be saved before its to late. How can people work in a place like that and not have any empathy for the horses.

He gets away with it because he can and will until someone holds the USDA accountable for not enforcing the Safe Transport to Slaughter regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by bryn View Post
    holds the USDA accountable for not enforcing the Safe Transport to Slaughter regulations.

It hasn't been done in decades and it never will.

Card Blanche on all levels.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

" Exactly " what does the law say? This particular mare hes brokenm no law with that I can see, the mare hasn't been transported any where has it? He says hes going to so maybe he will or maybe once again hes using statements to get people to buy horses from him way over market price. Not what I'd do but certainly not against any laws

I can't foster, I can only send a dribble...my goodness, so many dribbles in the past few weeks! Breaks my heart.

Do we need more money?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

the law as was posted earlier in this thread says:

The Commercial Safe Transport to Slaughter regulations state:

". . . prior to the commercial transportation of equines to a slaughtering facility, the shipper or owner must complete and sign an owner-shipper certificate for each equine being transported. . . and must include specified information including. . .a statement of the equine's fitness to travel (a statement that the equine is able to bear weight on all four limbs, is able to walk unassisted, is not blind in both eyes, is older than 6 months of age, and is not likely to give birth during the trip."

Furthermore it states, "Equines that are likely to give birth during transport can develop serious complications if they foal during transport. In addition, the mare's and foal's well-being could be in danger. Among other things 88.4(a)(3)(vii) states that an equine cannot be transported if it is likely to give birth during the trip. If an owner/shipper thinks it's possible that a mare is close to delivering, the owner/shipper should not put the mare on the conveyance. If an owner/shipper transports a late-term pergnant mare that gives birth during transport, the owner/shipper may be found in violation of the regulations. In addition, the owner/shipper could be found to have falsified the owner/shipper certificate. . . ."

DG, I don't have an update from Amber this morning, I am going to give her a call to see what's up and when I have an update, I'll post it here. I know Amber was looking at what she has left and I think Margaret posted about a $250 donation from another rescue, but I am not sure where that leaves Amber in terms of getting the mare off the lot or at least off the truck.
    Until they are safe.
    www.safehorses.org

But thats my popint, no ones shipped a late term mare here that I can see.