The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

i know theo, and i feel you are right, but despite their differences, i still think that the judges are more united than the people here, and even when the judges differ, i still don't agree with the 'they're all crap, the judges all suck, and i ride better in my backyard' attitude so often expressed here.

i study the differences in judging and learn from it. that's ok with me...i don't always think clarke is the right one, but i usually can understand the differences between him and the other judges. i try to look and see who's thinking what. among a whole bunch of trained, experienced judges, i prefer their judgement to a group of people without their training or experience.

Quote Originally Posted by fiona View Post
    yes.
    I agree that Anky's ride was the best. It was mistake free. 2nd horse was awesome but with mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by sabryant View Post
    I agree that Anky's ride was the best. It was mistake free. 2nd horse was awesome but with mistakes.
    Almost, because Salinero had a glitch in his extended trot.

But the thing I am really worried about is that Matiné (also in the GPS)
    had the same problems with his changes from one gait to another in the FTM.

Question for you all about the movement of Andreas' horse. That suspension, or extra air time in all gaits. Is that something the horse was born with, or was it trained into her? Or was it improved by training?

I understand that all horses move best when properly muscled and balanced and yada yada yada.....but what I wanna know is do you think any gadgets were used ever to get her to move like that????

For example, and for God's sake don't shoot me or flame me, I knew a Saddlebred trainer who could get horses to have that extra milisecond of air time by using bungees in training. Don't ask me how, but he did it. Does stuff like that happen to these big dollar horses?

Ok, I am scared now, LOL!! SLC don't yell at me!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?

Thumbs down

No. The horse has natural suspension which you can see , not unlike Farbenfroh. The challenge for the trainer Rudolf Zeilenger was more likely getting the work more forward rather than more upward.

'Funny' thing about the internet is that a couple months from now likely someone on another board will add to another thread about this horse that they think they read somewhere that there were rumours this was the case. All because of this thread. And then the OP will read that and think, see I was right!

Carry on. What next?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsedances View Post
    Almost, because Salinero had a glitch in his extended trot.

But the thing I am really worried about is that Matiné (also in the GPS)
    had the same problems with his changes from one gait to another in the FTM.
    You know, I saw that bobble in the extended trot but I saw it with every horse in the extended at just about the same place. I wonder if it was a footing problem????

Agree that Matine is a spectacular horse with a great future, but she did make mistakes and lack the precision and strength of Salinero. When she is more mature and has more GPs under her belt, she is going to be tough to beat. The tail actually didn't bother me because she had such a nice expression and always looked like she was really trying to do everything that was asked but had a few moments of confusion. However, she never "shut down" during those moments. I think she's a classic example of one of those mares that will keep giving even when there's nothing left to give. Love her!!!

Default Matine

Just being nosey, but does anyone know how old Matine is? Any vital statistics? I loved the video, but unfortunately didn't get the translation of the comments. If she's young, like you said, imagine when she's mature!!
    Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    Member of the Womanly Riders Clique
    Founding Member of LCLR Clique!!

She's nine

Well I was fortunate enough to attend the WEG'S and watched all of the GP rides. It was truly a thrill to be there and watch all of these horses go. And while the judging seemed at times to vary - I felt the Keur scores for Anky were a shock. An 86% means this horse was very close to perfect 9's for all movements (10's are rare - so 90% is the ceiling). The ride was just not there in my eyes. The horse and the rider were tight and stiff and it just wasn't that many points higher than the 2nd,3rd or 4th place horses. The Danish rider on the gray mare was a joy and each ride she went even better. Their lightness and power and the same time and connection to the music through the entire ride was just plain magic. In fact, rumors floated around that an offer to buy the mare for $millions was turned down.

I honestly felt the Keur judging left a bad taste in my mouth after a week of feeling I was in Oz. Be happy to elaborate to anyone who wants to PM on this.

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    No. The horse has natural suspension which you can see , not unlike Farbenfroh. The challenge for the trainer Rudolf Zeilenger was more likely getting the work more forward rather than more upward.

'Funny' thing about the internet is that a couple months from now likely someone on another board will add to another thread about this horse that they think they read somewhere that there were rumours this was the case. All because of this thread. And then the OP will read that and think, see I was right!

Carry on. What next?
    Let me remind you that Rudolph Zeilinger is a master (the best) in getting the maximum out of the passage and piaffe of a horse. He is even hired by some other famous trainers to do this PaPi part of the trainingscale.

Don't ask me how he does it, but he does it with almost every horse, also the ones from which we never suspected to get the job done.

Theo

I just watched Theo's videos, and unlike the World Cup last year in Vegas, I do think Anky had the best ride. Not the most difficult, as her frestyle is too test like, but the most mistake free and the best piaffe, passage, pirouettes. I really liked the grey mare, but she had mistakes, and occasionally tipped downward in front, as she gets stronger and more settled in the GP she will be amazing. All the others in the list had good rides, but with weaknesses in different areas. No one had the elevation in the piaffe passage as Matine and Salinero. Lots had good passage, but piaffe suffered.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoodle View Post
    I just watched Theo's videos, and unlike the World Cup last year in Vegas, I do think Anky had the best ride. Not the most difficult, as her frestyle is too test like, but the most mistake free and the best piaffe, passage, pirouettes. I really liked the grey mare, but she had mistakes, and occasionally tipped downward in front, as she gets stronger and more settled in the GP she will be amazing. All the others in the list had good rides, but with weaknesses in different areas. No one had the elevation in the piaffe passage as Matine and Salinero. Lots had good passage, but piaffe suffered.
    I agree with the red-line of your statement, however I want to say something about the choreography of Anky. I also made the same statement already in the topic of Karen Robinson.

From the judges handbook :

an abundance of transitions will affect th smoothness of the presentation, which is to be avoided.

The one golden rule for the design of a Freestyle is : better to make it appear too easy, with a lower degree of difficulty byt technically perfect, than proving to have been too ambitious, at the expense of technical perfection
    This doesn't only count for the choreography but also for the smoothness of the music.

If you can listen to the commentator(s) at the end of the ride of Bernadette Pujol you will hear them say. Lovely horse, wonderful rider, nice music, but a little messy, it's like being in a Mexican bar.

Theo

Quote Originally Posted by ise@ssl View Post
    An 86% means this horse was very close to perfect 9's for all movements (10's are rare - so 90% is the ceiling).
    Just a reminder that 10 mean "Excellent" NOT "perfect," and 9 is very good.

(10's are rare - so 90% is the ceiling).
    And 10's aren't that rare.

I really don't understand what people here seem to have against Anky. I watched the videos and I thought Anky's ride was beautiful, quite fluid, light and virtually free of mistakes. She is a beautiful and quiet rider. I did not notice tension in Salinero. He looked beautiful and light and I'll say it again - fluid. Just watching her video helped me with my own ride yesterday.

I watched the other horses and while I really liked the 2nd place horse - it was in that horse that I sensed some tension. She swished her tail sometimes to her movement without it appearing to be a resistance, but other times it did look like some resistance. There are, of course, many fabulous rides, but I have to say that I thought Anky's, overall, captured the whole basis behind the freestyle.

I'm amazed that some "experts" here on COTH believe that that they are better qualified to judge than some of the best riders and/or judges in the world.

Default Aunt Esther rolls her eyes

Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, wonders how long members of this BB will be subjected to thread after thread jumping on Anky.

Aunt Esther suggests getting over yourselves.

kelliope - you're a joy.

Default High Trees

High trees catch a lot of wind.