The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Debbie Atkinson condition

does anyone have accurate update on the condition of Debbie Atkinson who had to be air lifted from an accident at the Kentucky Classic Saturday?

God, how awful! Jingles for her.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

If anyone knows definitively if it was Debbie, and what her condition may be, please post. I am beside myself.

Debbie was riding in the open intermediate division with Meancholy Blues when the horse caught his legs at the weldon wall...and somersaulted over the jump, Debbie fell from the horse...but the horse did not land on her according to the photographs taken from Palmer Photographers. Medics were there within seconds, ambulance and doctors followed; the UK helicopter took her to the hospital. She was surrounded by people who cared about her and were praying for her. Melancholy Blues appeared to be uninjured and stayed close by.

I finally got through to the hospital and was told by the nurse in ICU that her condition was serious but stable.
    Last edited by SR Rider; Sep. 3, 2006 at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional info just found out

Exclamation Prayers and jingles

for her, that she will have a speedy recovery!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

OOOOHH NOOOOOO!!

I saw Debbie's name as soon as I logged in this AM. She is an excellent horsewoman and lovely person. I am going to go get on the phone now and find out what I can...

sorry double post

SR Rider, thank you for the additional information. Serious but stable is still frightening, but it does mean the doctors have the things they can control under control. This I can deal with.

Sending powerful jingles and love out to Debbie, she is a class act all the way.

Unhappy

OK, folks, we need LOTS of prayers and jingles. Debbie has a serious spinal cord injury. She is hanging in there.

Right now, her horses and her dog are being taken care of. As things develop, we will find out any way that COTHers can help and get that information out.

Damn, bad things happen to good people. Debbie is a class act. Thoughts and prayers with her for a complete recovery.

I just recently had the pleasure of meeting and taking a lesson from Debbie and she is a great teacher. I will keep her in my prayers.
    Owner of Doctor Molley

I was jump judging yesterday when the accident happened (I was farther along in the course, so fortunately did not witness it) and was afraid things weren't good, based on some things I heard on the radio. My thoughts are with her and her friends and family.

Infomation is still a bit uncertain, but Debbie should be in surgery this morning, so now is a good time for prayers and jingles.

It was really, really hard for me to digest this news when a friend called this morning to tell me what happened. Debbie is an amazing rider (and instructor!), and I hate so much to hear that she has suffered such a serious injury. I'm sending my thoughts, prayers, and jingles to Lexington. Hang in there Debbie!!

If anyone hears of any way we can help, or any place to send cards, etc, please let us know. A bunch of us ride with her fairly regularly and want to support her any way we can through this.

there is a link on the University of Kentucky Hospital website that you can email to patients and the emails are taken to them

http://www.ukhealthcare.uky.edu/pati...merservice.htm
    Last edited by SR Rider; Sep. 3, 2006 at 12:29 PM. Reason: link

It is so different to hear of such a serious injury when it is someone you know personally. Debbie is a lovely person and my prayers are with her.

Thank you CookiePony for calling me and for the detailed update.

Many of Debbie's oldest and dearest friends are on their way to Lexington to be with her as I write. She needs all of our prayers.

If you have never met Debbie, I want you to know she is the best of horsewomen, a generous and caring friend, and a wonderful instructor and coach. Years ago, I was helping her at an event where she was competing two horses. I took "Prove It" up to the show jumping to wait for her...she would compete him after finishing up with a greenie. We were standing in the shade and had been hanging out for a while when Prove It lifted his head, his eye on something in the distance. And from that long way off he saw it was Debbie coming for him, and he went to the end of his reins and nickered for her.

Please keep up the fight, we're with you all the way Deb.

Default Prayers are needed for Debbie

Debbie Atkinson is in very critical condition at the U of K in Lexington and needs everyone's prayers.

Thumbs up

OOf! It sounds as thogh the EM care was excellent, and timely! Please someone reassure her that her animals are ok and being acared for. though still unconscious she can hear, and, I imagine itwould be a comfort to her.
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Prayers from VA!!