The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Being the bitch that I am (not really IMO), I always tell any new farrier that cleaning up after himself is his job. And it is. Last wk had to have a substitute farrier before a show and this guy did not have a magnet to pick up his nail pieces. I handed him mine to use.

2 members found this post helpful.

I pay my farrier to trim my horses feet, not clean my barn.

He is more than willing to sweep up, but to me it is my job not his.

1 members found this post helpful.

Just out of curiosity, do your boarders sweep up the cross ties, or do you?
    It seems as paying customers, they have less burden to clean up after themselves than a professional coming in to do work.
    For reference, my boarders and farriers are expected to sweep up their work area. Not cleaning the barn.

We also have a cute, sweet, conscientious farrier who takes this big magnet bar and rolls the area after he is done to get all the nail pieces out.

I am of the camp of thinking that cleaning up after him/herself IS their job.
    ESPECIALLY if it is nails and nail parts. It just takes a minute, and the nails they clip off or drop are a hazard for tires, feet, tummies, etc.

2 members found this post helpful.

I will usually sweep up as my farrier gets his stuff loaded, but if I'm not there I certainly expect him to clean up after himself.

NJR
    Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Farriers are tradespeople; not gods. I expect tradespeople to clean up after themselves. There should be no need for the farrier to look for a broom he should carry one on his truck for cleaning up after himself.

Mine, doesn't drop nails he cups his hand and catches the nail clippings as they fall. He will run a magnet and sweep up after himself. I'd expect nothing less.

How can they take pride in their jobs if they leave a mess behind?

Wow- I feel soooo lucky!
    My farrier, not only cleans up after himself, but he calls the day before to confirm the appointment, and he is always on time. If he expects to be 10 minutes late, he will call. And on top of all that, he is professional, nice to the horses, but firm, and he does a good job

I had the same farrier for over 20 years, I could have cared less if he cleaned up or not, He did a great job on my horses, I did not hire him to sweep!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My farrier (a woman I might add) always begins sweeping up after herself; I grab another broom and we do it together while we chat. If I were not there for any reason (this has never happened) she would clean it up herself. I have one boarder who uses a different farrier, and he never cleans up...not nails, not feet or anything. The boarder is probably the worst sweeper on the face of the earth, so even if he makes an attempt at clean up, OMG, what a mess.
    I got a little in the face of this farrier about not picking up his nails and he made a joke about my wheelbarrow getting a flat; I was some pissed. Extremely rude and unprofessional in my opinion. (is the fact that he is European and a male have anything to do with it?)

In my limited experience at the current barn, the other profession is vets.
    Eww on cleaning the bucket'O'blood containing discarded wipes and a disposable clampy-thing.

And the roofers? Left tons of nails in the gravel drive way plus other stuff. Plumbers etc all require a cleanup after a visit though they try, sort of, to clean up after themselves. Generally everyone is eager to get all their tools and supplies rounded up. Occasionally they miss.

I've never had nor would I have, a farrier who didn't at least clean up the nails. Do I expect (or allow) them to sweep? No, that's my job. My vets have always cleaned up their paper bits, bandages, etc but again, the hosing and/or sweeping is my job. Do I think any of them are "gods" and therefore entitled not to clean up after themselves? No. I was raised by a career military officer dad and was taught early that "the broom goes with the job" no matter what the job is but I do know that my farrier and vet have other places to get to and sweeping is one of the few areas I can get a lot OCD about so I would just as soon do it myself anyway. My BO doesn't care much about the sweeping but I don't feel like the barn is done unless I sweep. I'm the BM, the barn is my responsibility and I take pride in how it looks...so, I sweep. A lot.

...but that's just me.