The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I've had both that would clean up after themselves and those who didn't. I don't have a problem either way.

Currently, I use a farrier that is in high demand and has two assistants. I've seen both the farrier and the assitants do the sweeping. To me, it signifies how professional he runs his business.

Playing the devil's advocate here, if you believe you only pay someone for their knowledge, then why aren't we cleaning up after vets? Or what about when we have someone put on a new roof? Or put up fence? We are paying these professionals for their expertise but we expect them to clean up after themselves. It would be a sign of disregard and disrespect for the owner's safety and property to not clean up afterwards. So, why would farrier's be exempt?
    Just something to think about...

My horse, my barn, my mess. I don't expect the farrier to clean up after himself. It's no big deal to me!

My dog will happily join those of you who would lick the aisle clean....because he pretty much does already!

I don't know if there is a set standard of conduct for farriers that requires them to clean up or if it's more a matter of mgt practices for each individual situation. I've been on both sides of this deal and while using the services of farriers unless one had the time to sweep up...like those having an assistant helper with them or, having an area to work in with something other than dirt footing....most would just carry a magnet to pick up nails...if they were tired of patching the tires on their work vehicles. The hoof clippings would be left for the establishment to deal with...whatever was left untouched by the dogs. Some farriers would take away the used shoes while others would just leave them in a pile for the barn mgt/owner to deal with too.

As far as clean up goes with me, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Sometimes the owners are sweeping up after each horse I trim and sometimes they don't. I carry a magnet to keep track of horse shoe nails when I am pulling shoes because "I" too don't want a horse to step on one or get one stuck in my truck tires and have to deal with a flat or slow leak.

I never feel obligated to clean up a work area unless the trimmings are proving to be a problem and the owner isn't making an effort to do something about it. I can ask for a broom as most barns have them. Some owners will tell me just to make a pile and they will pick it up later.

So to me, it depends on the situation and as a horse owner, I've learned that it's best to be flexible about the small things. So I'm flexible about cleaning up. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. However, when it comes to nails, I always keep track of them and hand them to the owner to dispose of after I've collected them up.

Tree

1 members found this post helpful.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    They get paid plenty. Any Tradsman worth his salt can clean up after himself. Or go find another barn to shoe for! Same goes for the vets,when they work in my barn , they pick up what they drop. They are not gods, nor will my help spend time cattering to them. My barn .... my rules
    Amen, I don't mind sweeping up poop and clippings - My farriers almost always sweep up and always use a magnet on a stick to pick up nails.

I'm just happy to get a farrier to come out, show up on time, and not charge me a bazillion dollars. Sweeping up their crumbs is the least of my worries.

If this is the BO farrier (not your horse) I would say it's the horse owner's or BO's job to take a moment to clean up. Maybe talk to the BO about your concerns? The nails are the only thing that might worry me. Why not ask BO to put out a trash can right where he's working so nails aren't left on the floor? If farrier won't toss them in the can, whoever is holding the horse can do this... it'll only take a moment.

I use the best farrier in the area and am so happy to have his services. He doesn't clean up after himself, except if a horse poops while shoeing he will pick that up so the horse doesn't step in it. When Jet gets shod, I will hold him, and any other horses he does that day, and sweep up and use the magnet on nails after each horse.

There is no way I would expect him to clean up. It only takes a few minutes while he is packing up his truck, and I'd rather sweep than use an inferior farrier that cleans up.

This farrier is on time, great with the horses and is out the same day if a horse pulls a shoe (Jet would paw the no climb and rip it of on the fence occasionally). He also doesn't charge to tack a shoe back on, even when it is the horse's fault for pulling it off, not poor shoeing.

I love my farrier.

I never expect a farrier or any other horse care professional who comes here to work to clean up after themselves. If they do, I am grateful. If they don't, I clean it up and move on. If the farrier is great, I smile while I do it

Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    Go Ahead complain to the farrier, I dare you. They're job is already hard enough without having to be Mr Clean. I would lick up my farrier's mess if I had to in order to keep my horse sound.They are paid for thier expertise with a rasp and hammer, not a freaking broom. I have never seen one that leaves nails in a high traffic area, usually they are swept to the side of the aisle or where ever into a nice obvious pile.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.
    M
    M

Before I moved far away (from the "real world") I had the *best* farrier ever (and nice looking too!). He would not require me to be there, although I always was, in order to make it easier for him (I would bring the horse in from turnout).

He always swept up when he was done, even though I told him to leave it and I would do it. He even would shovel up the poop.

He drove well over an hour to get there. He never charged to tack on a pulled shoe. One time I called him at 10 PM and left a message that my horse pulled a shoe, he was there at 7 AM the next morning to tack it on, for free. He said he didn't want to let it go and let the horse rip up his unshod hoof. He was absolutely amazing!

I have never found another like him where I live now. The guy I have now is good, but if my horse pulled a shoe, it took him 2 weeks to get out here and tack it on, and he $25 charges too (I know most do charge). And he leaves clipped nails all over the place. We clean it up. Whatever...

He is slow as molasses and we have to be there with him, and he takes constant cigarette breaks while working on the same horse -- even though we have a large NO SMOKING sign. (He steps outside.)

So I finally decided to let my horse go barefoot because he was pulling shoes a lot and it meant waiting weeks for this guy. It's working out fine.

Default When I boarded...

my farrier would clean up nails, but it was my responsibility to sweep up. Larger barns I have worked for expected the barn help to do it. Now my horses are, except in bad weather, shoed outside, so I rake it up!

If the farrier does leave a mess, the horse owner, if present (and I think they should be whenever possible, should clean up. Just as they should clean up their own messes.

Working a Showmanship pattern somewhere in the great Northeast...

Our farrier picks up nails right away. Sometimes he arrives early and will start trimming the retirees before anyone gets there to help him. Between horses he'll sweep everything off to the side so that he has a clean area for the next horse. I would never expect him to dispose of any trimmings. Can you imagine having to remember what each barn does? I'm sure some put in the trash, some in the poop pile, some out in the hedgerow...heaven forbid you put in the wrong place!

One of our vets we do clean up after...he's always leaving stuff behind (big stuff like power floats and such!), so we do a walk thru the barn as he is packing up to save him a return trip.

I expect any professional (or anyone else, for that matter) to clean up anything potentially hazardous - nails, sharps, biohazard-type stuff, paint, chemicals - or that would require special equipment (such as a truck to haul away the old shingles ). Other than that, unless it has specifically been included in the price, I'll clean up because I'm grateful for their services. Perhaps this is why I don't have a problem with getting my farrier and vet to come out whenever I need them.

Edited to add: My vet once left his ultrasound behind...talk about not cleaning up!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Wink

Barn dogs pick up hoof trimmings

When boarding in the backyard, our farrier would run a magnet around to pick up any nails. The barn I board at now has a farrier stand equipped with a broom if anyone wants to groom there.

If the farrier sweeps the clippings to the side, they've done their job. The rest is on you .

Our farrier never cleans up -- I had forgotten about nails, it's been THAT long since anyone has been shod! but back when I was having shoes put on, my farrier at that time was very careful about the nails... but left them for me.

My vet leaves all her trash as well. To be fair, there isn't a trash barrel in the vet/farrier area. I'd prefer to have more room rather than waste some with a trash receptacle. And I don't mind picking up after either farrier or vet though the latter can be a bit gross!!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

That problem was a very recent one where I board. My farrier and previous ones have always swept up their mess. I never expected anything different, quite frankly. Clean up is part of the service. I am rarely there when my horse is getting shod. At my barn, it is not the barn man's job to clean up after the farrier.

The other boarders' farriers also sweep up, too, except for one. As typical, the horse owner was not there while their horses were trimmed/shod. Four horses were shod and the farrier left a big mess in the aisle. The BO was steamed and left a note on the bulletin board: "Farriers must clean up their mess." Unfortunately, the note didn't do any good because the BO didn't write it again in the following 6-8 weeks for the next trim.

Sure enough, that same farrier left a big mess, including nails for other horses to step on. What a slob -- I thought if he left this kind of mess behind, what kind of work is he doing? The BO contacted the owners directly about it. If the farrier does it again (or they don't clean up after him), he can't come to the property any more. It's not as if it takes even 10 minutes to sweep up the trimmings, etc. It is more professional and it should be part of the service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mare mom View Post
    Any thoughts on how to handle this concern? I am at a barn where one of the farriers shoes the horses in his care in the barn aisle and refuses to clean up after himself. He leaves piles of hoof clipping and old/new nails laying all over and just departs without sweeping up. I have found his mess several times when I have gone to ride my horse and am concerned that someone (equine or human) are going to end up with a nail in their foot. It really frustrates me and the barn manager can't seem to get this guy to clean up after himself. Any suggestions on what to do? Does anyone else have this problem??
    You say in your post that these horses are "in his care."
    If by that you mean they are his horses, then by all means he should sweep up after himself. No different than any boarder having to sweep up after they have made a mess in the asile or wash rack or grooming stall, etc.

That being said, every farrier I have ever used has swept up their trimmings and nails into a pile as they worked. I then just pick up with shovel and put into the garbage. A few would use a magnet for nails.

what confuses me is the idea of the farrier coming out, shoeing four, and leaving. no one held the horses or helped in any way? I expect a farrier to run a magnet over things, of course, but the 'mess' of dirt and hooves is for the barn to deal with, by whomever- BO, BM, horse owner, etc....

So is this farrier doing horses w/o requiring someone assoc. with the horse - be there, too? Confused here.

I'm thankful for my talented, knowledgeable, reliable, hard-working farrier.

I would never expect, nor ask him to clean up after...he's worked hard all day. (although if I'm not looking, he'll sweep things up in a pile). I would never ask him to work on a rank horse or one that doesn't stand well or pick up feet well, or to work on one without someone there to hold the horses--he's not paid to train horses. I certainly don't want him hurt either...not only do I like him as a person, he's far too valuable to the welfare of my horses.

He does have a nifty magnetic gizmo to find and pick up stray nails and parts when he's done, and I do appreciate the use of it, if I can get it away from him long enough to use it .

I tipped him yesterday and also voluntarily paid him extra to compensate him for gas when he made a special trip out to work on just two horses (one that was a semi-emergency). I make sure I provide plenty of cold drinks (or coffee in cold weather) when he's here, and munchies when I have them. And he gets a holiday "bonus" or gift from us every year, as well.

A little sweeping or raking, and a shovelful of trimmings isn't going to hurt me (and the neighborhood dogs often want them, anyway).

1 members found this post helpful.