The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Fly pony..with an attitude like that,I'm sure they'd be really happy to go find another barn to work for.
    Even though I have no problem cleaning up after myself,you wouldn't last long on my books.
    Yes,you are entitled to run your barn your way,but to me life is too short to deal with attitudes and egos.

I encounter them and you don't see me for dust.

There is always another barn around the corner where there are nice people who treat you with respect.

1 members found this post helpful.

My farrier magents the area for nails, but leaves the hoof trimmings, etc.

I don't think of it being part of his job to pick up the filed and clipped parts of her hooves.

2 members found this post helpful.

Every farrier I've ever worked with has swept up after himself. I always offer to do it for them, but they don't always let me. All the other farriers who've worked in the barns I've been at have at least swept the leavings into a pile at the side. I guess I'm just lucky to be and to have been around those guys and gals.

I actually don't remember if my farrier cleans up after himself or not, he probably does but anyone in their right mind wouldn't let him. I wouldn't expect him to though, personally, if it were my barn. I haven't had my "own" barn so usually he was there doing many horses, not just mine. He does, however, make sure all the nails are in his toolbox, and not on the ground. I like my farrier, he works hard and does a good job, and is appreciated. I can handle sweeping. Heck, I'm with the lick it up crew. Around here, good farriers are hard to come by. I even bring him coffee sometimes. Can't hurt, right???
    "Wost Case Ontario..."

Red face

My farrier is careful with nails(he has a little magnet thing on a long pole to find any he has dropped. Also when he clips the ends of the nail off , he catches them in his hand. I don't expect him to sweep. That chore falls under barn help duty(which since I do self care means me)

In the three farriers we have used here, I haven't had one that doesn't grab a broom if it hasn't already been grabbed. Another local farrier that I saw working the other day didn't grab a broom, but he paid one of the boarder's little girls to collect nails and clean up (she found this to be a very good opportunity...she even was game when he told her she needed to lift the anvil into the truck )

That said, I don't think I would EXPECT it. But it just seems professional.

Now that I trim our own, I am much worse then they ever were about grabbing a broom quickly! After doing the heavy work of the trim, I am ready for a break and that sweeping up chore always seems like it can wait a few minutes
    Trakehner Treffpunkt & Tannenwald Trakehner
    Breeders & Friends of American Trakehners - European Engineering, Made in America!
    AND ... Breeding-Stallions.com

Wow, I must be in the minority here. I've never had a farrier NOT clean up after himself. Seems to be the norm around here. If I am there when my farrier starts packing up after doing his last horse and I even try to sweep up, he grabs the broom from me and insists on doing it. My vets also always clean up after themselves, but are happy to let me help.
    If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on my cats.

3 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Member of the Lick-It-Up Clique

When my horses were boarded my shoer - the one I've used for the last 5 years - always swept up after himself.
    Now that he comes to my place I tell him to leave it for me.
    He is doing me the favor of coming to my place just to trim my 2, the least I can do is sweep up.

Re: tradesmen
    My DH was a locksmith and always cleaned up after himself - metal filings and/or sawdust - he carried a dustpan and whiskbroom in his tool kit. Most customers told him they'd do it, but he just wanted to leave the place as neat as he found it.
    When I had a bathroom rehabbed in my old house the workers not only swept up after themselves each night they washed the floor!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

I would never ever expect a farrier to clean up. That's the job of the owner! And its what brush and shovel are for!

To pick up nail fragments just use a magnet
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Sep. 2, 2006 at 07:06 AM.

My farrier sweeps up after himself. We are, of course, horrified when we catch him doing it and tell him we'll take care of it. It usually turns into one of those battles of politeness, like when friends are arguing over who will pick up the tab at a restaurant. We usually compromise on him sweeping up his working area and depositing the trimmings in the muck bucket, and someone from the barn taking the muck bucket to the manure pile. I think pushing a broom is part of his decompression process after he's finished a horse. It gives him something else to think about and helps stretch his muscles.

Default Neatnik

My farrier/trimmer insists on cleaning up anything metal with this wonderful magnet gadget (I think it's a toy he enjoys playing with ) and he'll also sweep if I'm not there. Yes, I'm blessed with one who will also do my horses if I'm not there. Thank heavens! But, I leave the broom, shovel and much bucket right near where he works to try to make it easier. When I am there, I do the sweeping. I agree, their job is hard enough so I want him top focus on the tootsies!

back before I knew better and used to have my horses shod, my farrier ALWAYS picked up the nails with a stick magnet...he always left the hoof trimmings and that was fine, but I do expect them to pick up the nails...it's so nice not to have to worry about that anymore though! :O)
    Any man who can render himself unconscious with a pretzel, isn't smart enough to lead the Free World

Quote Originally Posted by Simbalism View Post
    My farrier is careful with nails(he has a little magnet thing on a long pole to find any he has dropped. Also when he clips the ends of the nail off , he catches them in his hand. I don't expect him to sweep. That chore falls under barn help duty(which since I do self care means me)

Mine does the same thing. Nails, he is particular with, but I would NEVER dream of asking him to sweep up the trimmings. Not his job. Besides, the B/O's dogs looove the hoof trimmings, lol Yuck.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Ditto Estelle. I'd worry about nails and not pieces of hooves. Most farriers I know do run a magnet for nails when they are done.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but I have to say that my vet definitely does not clean up after himself. I do a fair amount of breeding, so we are talking sleeves used in palpation, etc. It was a little surprising at first, but he's a super vet and repro genius, so I accept it. But if he wasn't so talented, the picking up would be an issue for me.

I too sweep up after myself and clean up my mess. I expect it of others so I do the same.

Most of the private barns the owners tell me to leave it and take the broom from me.

If I'm at a big boarding barn doing lots of horses, then I usually do it myself. Most owners are not there and I think the grooms have enough to do for little pay. I don't mind sweeping, it is a way to unwind. Plus I do it for the horses, those shavings draw flies something fierce

Regards,

I have been friends with my farrier for years. I knew him even before we were friends actually..but he always sweeps clippings into a pile out of the way.But its up to the barn staff or horse owner to pick it up.The one thing he does that I like is carry a magnet on a stick to pick up the nails.
    But I generally clean up after him, especially since my yearling used to give him such a hard time lol. I even brinh him Timmes coffee! If I show up without the coffee.....oh boy!

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

I alwasy clean/sweep when I'm done. Actually, I sweep a lot because I don't want the mess underfoot(so to speak). I carry a broom and a shovel and if there is a muck bucket provided, will scoop the mess up and put it in the muck bucket. Otherwise, I just sweep it into a pile. What I don't do is go fetch a wheelbarrow , scoop the stuff into it and then wheel it out to the manure pile. That's not my job.

Since I catch my nail ends and don't let them hit the floor, and since I throw any unuseable nails into the bottom of my shoeing box, I don't ahve any of that to worry about.

My farrier has always been excellent about keeping track of any nails, old or new.

He has never cleaned up after himself and I've never expected him to. When I boarded, the barn expected me to clean up the mess. Seemed normal to me!

Our two regular farriers are awesome, we won't let them sweep but they always catch nails. The crappy farrier (don't get me started on him!!) left nails everywhere! They were just 'a flyin! I was crawling around on the floor to find them all since I'm paranoid!

But, I don't expect the farrier to sweep. The one time I asked him to was when my shoulder was partially dislocated and I couldn't really sweep...and no one else was there...

On a sidenote, our vet cleans up after himself. He asks where the garbage is and deposits everything in there (obviously except sharps, etc)
    -- eatmydust

Black River Farm
    Somewhere on the Black River, Ontario

Default Wow, now I loff my farrier even more!

My farrier always cleans up after himself, including using a magnet for nails and sweeping up his hoof trimmings. It's just what he does. He also competes internationally in farrier competitions, gives clinics for other farriers, and is one of the heads of the farrier association in our state. I say if someone that talented and busy can be bothered to make sure he picks up, so can everyone else. Then again, he's a true professional through and through, so I wouldn't expect any less from him.
    Jen way up north.
    Chiclet - my little reiner
    Peep - my little dun Easter filly