The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

I trim my own. When I'm done I pick up all the hoof trimmings and give them to the dogs. They consider it a real treat. Wouldn't want to deprive them.

My dogs take care of the trimmings, and I run a wheeled magnet over the area after he leaves. No Big Deal.

Is the revival of this 7 year old thread, a record?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I didn't realise this was an old thread until I saw Thomas' post!
    I didn't either, until I saw County's. And then I was all , because what if that means the Zombie Apocalypse has started?
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

2 members found this post helpful.

Probably depends on the farrier and where they are used to working. Many of ours will always sweep up but I always tell them, don't worry about it, I will get it.

Some that work at big barns/A barns are used to having full time staff that sweep up. And this could be the issue the OP is facing.

I know in the construction business there are tradesmen that will leave a big fat mess - were talking food wrappers, nails, wood, shavings etc because they are used to being on jobs where the superintendents hire a cleaning crew everyday but not all jobs have that kind of budget.

Ahhh just read 7 year old thread!!! LOL Oh well.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

What difference does the age of the thread make? It's not like the problem was discussed, solved and eradicated. Clearly it is still pertinent to some people.

Having been part of the barn staff for years, I would not expect a vet or farrier to clean up afterwards. I was always right there ready to help.

But that being said I did notice a difference between men and women. Basically even very professional men left a huge mess and the women at worst would leave little piles off to the side.

My farrier as a way of cupping the hoof in his hand when he clips the nails...never drops any.

Mine brings his wife along and we have a great time talking horse! Mr. Ez usually comes with me so it's kind of a party. Sometimes his wife or Mr Ez sweeps after each foot, sometimes I do and sometimes between horses the farrier does it.

I would never expect him to do it, though. I like to sweep after each foot so he has a clean work area.
    Ride like you mean it.

Obviously the revival was due to a search on the subject. Yay for people who go to the trouble to search their questions/subjects. There's always a critic when they don't!

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    Is the revival of this 7 year old thread, a record?
    Ride like you mean it.

I have to dissent with most. I don't know a single farrier that doesn't clean up after himself at our barn. We have 3 farriers that have a regular/posted schedule, and another 3-5 that come in on an as needed/phone call basis. Every single one of them sweeps the alleyway, bare minimum, with most grabbing a shovel and wheelbarrow and hauling it out. The one who just sweeps it in a pile is considered messy.
    If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.
    ~ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by dotneko View Post
    What difference does the age of the thread make? It's not like the problem was discussed, solved and eradicated. Clearly it is still pertinent to some people.
    It's hard to dig up some oldies though! 7 years of being buried is a long time so it's amusing!

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Obviously the revival was due to a search on the subject. Yay for people who go to the trouble to search their questions/subjects. There's always a critic when they don't!
    I wasn't criticizing - it's just a note to the unearthing of an ooold thread is all. Like I said, it's amusing it wasn't lost or archived somehow.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

Not to high jack the tread but I am having a similar issue! I don't really mind the clippings but the old and new nails really concern me. The farrier uses the grooming stall that has a rubber mat with grooves. Even when swept by the barn staff there are still nails left behind. Would it be out of line to ask the farrier to use his magnetic tool to pick up the left over nails? Last time I found 14nails and picked then up by hand.
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

I don't care how good they are, nails and metal shards should not be left around. I pay $300 to have my farrier do my mare. I can't be there, so I expect him or one of the barn employees to leave the area safe. You cannot convince me that is unreasonable!

I would happily do it myself, if I were there.

A different farrier didn't clean up after himself recently... I found a nail embedded in my barn boots. I'm thankful it lodged in there, and not in a horse's foot!!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

If the aisle is already a mess, i wouldnt really pitch a fit over hoof trimmings.... If the aisle is clean, well, come on... at least sweep it out of the walkway. And always pick up the nails!!! One of my favorite barns to board at required the farriers to remove all nails new and old and had a big sign with a magnet catcher hung up next to it.... no excuse there.

Just seems to me if you make a mess, clean it up. Of course if Im out with the farrier, I am more than happy to sweep up for them out of courtesy...even if it isnt my farrier :P
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4aOTTB View Post
    Would it be out of line to ask the farrier to use his magnetic tool to pick up the left over nails?
    Not at all out of line - however, you can get a rolling magnet at Tractor Supply for around $25. It's a bar about 18" wide, wheels on the end & a handle so you don't have to bend over. Here's the link: http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...r?cm_vc=-10005

Really useful to have around the barn (and house!), not just for the farrier - but for picking up construction nails, etc, etc...

I don't expect a farrier to stop and clean up after himself. If they do, cool. If they don't, it's not like I have such an amazing glut of local highly skilled reasonably priced farriers to pick from that the cleaning is seriously going to be the tie-breaker.

It takes me <30 sec to wheel my magnet-on-a-stick around and nab any nail bits left behind after the farrier leaves. It's just a part of the routine on days he's here.

It is really useful to actually keep a decent broom, flat shovel, and trash receptacle near the farrier work area if you want the mess cleaned up. A decent broom is a large stiff push broom IN GOOD CONDITION, NOT A CORN BROOM WITH A SPLINTERED HANDLE WITH ALL THE BRISTLES ROTTED OFF!!!

Professionalism is often sorely lacking amongst farriers. I'm sure if people got past "never shows up on time" and "can't work without a cooler full of beer", they would get to "he's a da*n slob" would get mentioned.

If there is a broom and dustpan or shovel around, we sweep up after we are done. If we're on dirt, we drag a magnet to make sure no nail bits got missed, and rake up the hoof trimmings that are big enough to rake.

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    It seems that people on this board (not everyone!) complain if people don't use the search option to find information and they complain if you revive an old thread. Sigh.