The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

My old farrier not only cleaned up after himself, but he carried a magnet with him to pick up nails with... unfortunately he seemed to be allergic to the telephone and a was complete flake.

My new farrier tried to sweep up the first time, but I didn't let him, so the second appointment he didn't bother.

I think that if the client is there when the farrier does the horse, or the barn staff holds the horse for the farrier, then the owner/holder should clean. However, if the farrier does the horses alone, and there is a broom and a shovel handy he ought to make an effort to t least sweep the mess into a pile out of the way.

Mine always sweeps everything into a nice pile although if I catch him I will step in and snag the broom to finish up. I don't think a farrier should be expected to remember how each barn disposes of hoof trimmings but a neat pile out of the way seems polite. I wouldn't pass on a great farrier because he or she didn't clean up but it is a nice extra step that takes all of 30 seconds.

My husband is a farrier. I showed him this thread and asked him about it. With his clientele, the owners or barn help clean up the trimmings, but he makes sure every nail tip (he catches them in his hand), old nails, old shoes etc go in his box and go in the trashcan or leave with him in his truck. He keeps track to make sure a nail isn't left around for a horse to step on. He will sweep up if it's a public barn and there is no one around to do it, but as a rule the owners or barn staff take care of it. I think being a horse owner/rider himself he appreciates the grief a stray nail can cause!

3 members found this post helpful.

My farrier picks up/checks for nail bits - the rest, trimmings and poop, I do. works for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

It's nice to see an old thread surface!
    We board in a self-care barn where everyone picks up after themselves. So, the farriers are kindly asked (not ordered) to do likewise. We even use please, and thank you! The farriers are not fly-by-night farriers, and they very kindly pick up after themselves and dispose the filings and trimmings in the trash. We take care of the manure. The horse owners are expected to make sure the aisle is clean before they leave following a farrier visit. This works quite well. I have never seen a farrier get huffy about this. Maybe it is because we are all doing our own work there and treat them kindly and equally, rather than treating an outside service provider like an indentured slave.
    Last edited by Chief2; May. 17, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: additional material added
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

wow, we are definitely lucky. Our farrier sweeps after himself and runs a metal detector where he has been working. He truly is a gem. The BM is always there, but he also helps her to take horses back to the fields or bring the ones he is going to trim. He is really wonderful!

1 members found this post helpful.

There are 3 that work in the barn we ride. Two clean up after themselves and one doesn't. Ironically the one that doesn't is the rudest man I have ever met. If he wasn't as good and reliable as he is he wouldn't be allowed on the property (He is brilliant when it comes to babies). Other two are good and usually reliable and both clean up after themselves however neither are good with babies or difficult horses.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

My farrier might sweep the clippings to the side, but I do not expect him to clean up the mess. He will make an effort to pick up nails, if he sees them. I am there to sweep and clean up during and after all the trims/shoeings. At a boarding barn, it should be the responsiblity of the barn help/manager.
    Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
    2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
    Royal Dutch Sporthorses of exceptional quality
    www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/

My farrier tries to control the nails and clipped points. I follow him with a magnet & broom after he's done. Tires are expensive and a flat is a pain.
    No... I don't expect him to clean up trimmings.

Haven't seen one clean up in years.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

My farrier cleans up after himself including shoveling my horses poo when she poos on him and I always feel terrible about it because he's quite busy. I think its great he's a good guy and helps out but I agree that it's not really his job and if the owner is already there - why not do it yourself?

So the moral of this story, is that the farrier/vet "should" clean up after themselves - but should NEVER have to, because you have already done it.

Before I entered the farrier business I only knew one farrier - the guy that worked on my horses. He always cleaned up after himself, returned telephone calls, was prompt for appointments, and replaced lost shoes by the next day. So when I started my own farrier business, I did the same because I didn't know any better.

9 members found this post helpful.

Mine have always picked up nails and heads and swept clippings to the side. I pick up and dispose of the rest. Works for me.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

I clean up for my farrier.

IMO it's the BMs job.
    It's takes two seconds to sweep everything up and shovel it all into an old feed bag and toss it in the garbage.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

I expect farriers coming to shoe horses in my barn to clean up after themselves. If they don't, they are reminded politely. The third time, they are no longer welcome. A professional is expected to police himself. Not my job or the barn staff's job. If the owner wants to do it, then they are welcome to.
    My husband's plumbers would never leave your bathroom full of crap after freeing the toilet stoppage, so I expect no less from other professionals coming to my facility and doing a job.

I cracked up when I figured out this thread was started years ago and resurrected. It's always relevant!

Cleaning up is affected by economics (rates charged), the local customs and the size of the barn. If the farrier is on the low end of the fee scale, cleaning up "costs" them more. If they charge a higher rate, it might include the time to clean up. It will also follow local customs. It also depends on the number of horses per appt. If at a private barn with a horse or two - clean up is easier. If its a larger barn, the time to cleanup, rotate the horses in and out, etc can really add to time.

My male farrier use to leave stuff on driveway including nails which irritated my non horsey husband to no end. Always thought he'd get nails in his fancy car when parking after work. I very diplomatically Asked farrier to please sweep up, & I always leave broom & dustbin standing close by. One Christmas I gave him a nail magnet & he appreciated that .
    My female farrier always cleans up without asking. I asked her once about this. She thought it was a male/female thing among farriers. Females being better at housekeeping?
    I agree with the "trades" comment that plumbers, electricians, carpenters, never leave their garbage behind in my experience. It takes only a couple of minutes per horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't realise this was an old thread until I saw Thomas' post!

My dog would expect the farrier to leave the trimmings, I expect to clean up the poops, but the nails he takes.

When we had our roof replaced every speck was cleaned up. When the driveway was asphalted, it was left spotless, when my cleaning lady left, she tidied the rags, etc....otherwise it is only part of the job. My vet - would take most stuff with him but I usually offer to dispose of the yuck.

I don't really care as long as I get a good job done by my farrier.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

my farrier has offered, but i never let him. that is not his job. I have never asked a farrier to sweep up. I have been taught from a young age to treat a good farrier like gold. to me, that means sweeping up the mess myself. i consider it MY barn mess. i even sweep the mess as he is working( never while he is under the horse, but if he is at the truck)