The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Update on Max

We have been very successful with our auction, raising over $800!! This will be enough for Max's purchase price and pay for worming/feeding/bedding him til he goes to his new home, and there should be enough left over to pay towards his shipping bill once we decide where he is going to go. Yeay!!

As I have told many people, Max was entered to race this past Saturday night in the last race at Mountaineer. He was scratched that night and I was worried that something "bad" had happened to him. So the next morning I made sure to ask the trainer's wife about Max. She said that there was so much speed in the race Max wouldn't have had a legit shot to win, plus no one wants to run in the last race aka the "midnight handicap" so they scratched and will re-enter him. To me this is excellent news - they are looking out for Max's best interests and trying to give him as good a shot as possible in his (probable) last race. And the extra time is a bonus for him - more time to get as sound as possible. Dont get me wrong - he is not lame on one leg more than the other, he is considered "racing sound" but barely. Max is body sore and run down, but hopefully this little break will help make his last race a good one. BUt not good enough that his trainer decides he wants to keep running him!

So that is our Max update - keep thinking good thoughts for him and thanks again!
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Tooners wants you to tell Max that if he just lopes along waaaayyyyy at the back of the pack, he'll stay out of trouble and his trainer won't want to race him anymore so he can retire to be completely spoiled. Good luck Jessi, and thanks for doing this for him!

Quote Originally Posted by Saskatoonian View Post
    Tooners wants you to tell Max that if he just lopes along waaaayyyyy at the back of the pack, he'll stay out of trouble and his trainer won't want to race him anymore so he can retire to be completely spoiled.

Same advice from my guys in KY. Wish they could talk to each other on the phone.

Jessi I hope he COMES HOME soon!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I was wondering what happened --- I checked out all the races and didn't see the entry. Jessi, you have a PM
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

I don't think he's been entered yet. He's been running badly for a long time, why do they expect a sudden miraculous reversal in form? It sounds like he is protecting himself by not exerting himself. Let's just hope there aren't more horses in the next race that are protecting themselves even more!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

MAX has alot of folks in Saratoga pulling for him, some of them pretty important folks!
    jsflwr joined me for the day yetsreday and I hope she had fun. I enjoyed meeting her and spending the day. I told everyone in the joint about MAX in the last few weeks.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Thumbs up What A Day!

Dear Linny,

Thank you for a fantastic day at Saratoga on Thursday. The sights, the sounds and the people were wonderful.

I wish that all those who put down racing folk as being uncaring could have been flies on the wall to witness the spontaneous and enthusiastic responses from those to whom you explained that we are trying to give an old racing thoroughbred a well-deserved retirement. Their sincerity and concern was moving and genuine. Of course, the "neigh"-sayers would have to open their minds to appreciate this…. Sleetwood Mac truly does have a lot of folks pulling for him at Saratoga, from the backstretch to the clubhouse!

Your many and varied vantage points at The Spa afforded me some nice photo ops and opened my mind to some interesting new possibilities. When the images have been uploaded to an on-line album, I’ll post the link. It was great to dust off the old camera and have some fun. And now I understand why so many racing fans regard Saratoga as the Mecca of race tracks.

Thanks for letting me have a glimpse behind the scenes. Watching your broadcast live is completely different from catching it on TV. You’ve got a great vantage point. You’ve also got a great crew.

Linny, your "Day At The Spa" was a wonderful idea!

Kudos!

And good luck to Sleetwood Mac. He's entered in the fifth at Mountaineer on September 8. Go slowly and safely, Sleetwood.

Default Good Luck Max & Jessi!

Sleetwood Mac runs tonight in the 5th at Mountaineer.

Max worked 4 furlongs on Tuesday:
    "Date: September 5, 2006
    Track: MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT
    Distance: Four Furlongs
    Time: 50:80 Breezing
    Track Condition: Fast
    Surface: Dirt

On a lighter note, here are some photos from my "Day at the Spa" with Linny:
    Saratoga Race Photos

Great pictures from Saratoga!!

Does anyone have an update after Max's race?

He came in fifth.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Ok guys, here is another Max update!

I have good and bad news.

Good news first:

As luvmytbs mentiones, Max came in 5th - he laid 2nd early and got a bit tired and was 5th. I saw him after the race and to the trainer's credit Max has gained a little weight and looked better than he did the last two times he raced. He was fairly sound after the race - moreso than after previous races.

Bad news #1 - Max has to run again. Trainer was pleased enough with his performance - "He just got a little tired down the lane" that he will run Max again. I went to ask him the following morning and he said "The price just went up." I told him "That's ok, we will wait." Maybe he thinks I want him to run him, I dont know.

Then he laid bad news #2 on me:

He is dumping another horse this week - an old class horse named Sugar Mags. Sugar is a 97 model by Miswaki who has earned a bunch of money (but not for this trainer). He says Sugar is a good horse for someone to lay up and bring back next year - which means he is pretty sore at the moment. Didnt say what is wrong with him specifically. But he wants $500 for him, he goes on the truck next week.

I am disappointed about Max, but glad that he ran an improved race. Wish we could have bought him this past weekend.

And I am heartbroken about Sugar, who was a heck of a nice horse here in his younger days.

But on the brighter side, this trainer is trying to work with us - as long as he keeps offering the horses for sale to us at a reasonable price before the killer truck we can try to do our best by each one. One at a time, I guess. Oy.

Thanks for the update, Jessi. Guess we'll have to wait a few more weeks. Is there a local TB rescue that could pick up Sugar?

Did you get my Paypal thing - I think I got it sorted out. I can't believe how anal they are about everything!

That trainer represents everything that is wrong with the racing world (NO I'm not saying the whole world is rotten just that there are too many of them like this). Never mind him reneging on his word, has that horse hit the board at all this year?

Now comes the it's a rescue, I can hold them up for more ransom part. (I wonder how much he thinks he'll get for a corpse if/when that horse breaks down?)

Why not call the kill buyer that works that area and ask him how much he does pay for horses of that size? I bet it's closer to $300. Then you are in a position to bargain. I hope you can send the info. on this other old chap around to a lot of TB rescues and see if they can round up the funds to save him. Or find out where the kill buyer takes them and when he goes have someone ready to go to the auction to bid on him.

Generally horses at that time are bought by the pound. And the killer buyers are usually happy to make a few $$ extra, and sell the horse to anyone who wants it.

And sadly, even bad trainers want to eat, & are eternal optimists. Sadly, they are pragmatists too.

Good luck with Max.

I'd be happy to help with Sugar if I can...
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I guess Sugar needs somewhere to go first. =(

Summer this trainer is a businessman above all. He is really trying to do the right thing by giving us the oppt'y to buy the horses before they go on the truck. We bought a filly from him like this about a month ago and found her a racing home with a trainer who will keep her forever, even after she is done racing. There just are not enough homes waiting to take a sore horse who has known nothing but racing - even for free. Remember the cheapest part of getting a horse is the purchase price.

We cannot forget that this is a business and these horses are inventory. All we can ask is a fair shot to get the horses, one at a time, into good homes instead of into a can. I make no judgement calls on trainers who choose to send them to the killers but instead focus on the chance we have to get these horses before the killer guy. I am nobody to judge someone else for what they do - that is between them and their conscience. And I know of many a trainer who has very sadly sent a horse to auction (esp over the winter) because they need the money to put food on the table, pay the rent to have somewhere to live, or buy feed, hay and straw for their other horses. And I dont even want to hear "If you can't afford it, dont choose that occupation." This is a lifestyle that chooses YOU - and you can go from top of the heap to bottom of the barrel in weeks. So I refuse to sit in judgement of my fellow trainers. I concentrate instead of what good I can do instead of worrying about the actions of others.

I have been drilling this concept into daughter Lauren's head this week -

"Don't blame Joey for getting you in trouble by distracting you from your work - pay attention to your work instead!!"

"Dont fume over (3 yo) Dylan getting into the chemistry set that YOU left where he could get it even tho I told you to put it UP."

"Dont tell me Nappy is a bad pony because he won't pick up a canter while you have a death grip on his mouth." Hopefully it will get thru her head eventually - but I am not very optimistic lol.

Linny I just don't know what to do to help with Sugar. I don't want to try to solicit funds for him since we just had the auction for Max (who STILL remains in training, unfortunately).

I thought of using Max's funds to buy Sugar then put that $$ back in Max's fund with my own $$, but 1) Darren would kill me and 2) those funds aren't mine to make that decision with. It was donated for Max, not Sugar. And if we did get him, what would we do with him....???

There was an organization who was going to donate $$ towards Max's purchase price, anyone remember who that was? Maybe we can get them to contribute towards Sugar.

I am going to look up his breeder info and see what I find. Wish me luck!

OK....... looks like the breeder was

John Kluge's Morven Stud, Ltd. But there was a dispersal sale in 2000 and I am unsure of the farm's status. Anyone have a minute to google?

Whoa - John Kluge is a international media zillionaire. No joke - see http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/K/.../klugejohn.htm I used to live in the part of the Virginia where he had his farm. For him, breeding racehorses would be a side, "prestige" business rather than how he made his living. Sugar would have started with all the advantages in life a racehorse could hope for, that's for sure.

If he is still alive, Kluge has got to be very old. I'll bet the dispersal sale came when he was either too frail to run the business anymore, or he passed away. In other words, I don't know if they can help you with Sugar. Although ... there have to still be millions of dollars still sitting around. If a member of the family remembered Sugar ... I guess it would be too much of a longshot. They probably sold him as a yearling. I'm just rambling on now!

Would that be the same Kluge after whom the University of Virgnia Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center was named?