The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone in the Newtown, CT area?

Wanna tell me about horse keeping in this area?

And anyone with some spare time who might be able to check out a house from a horse perspective? Realtors are so miserable with pics and stuff of barns!

I've only been to Newtown once (bought my trailer from someone in that area) but from the drive through it certainly seemed like a horse-friendly area. I'm a couple hours away in Ma but in general this part of the country has a lot to offer horse-wise. You might want to check out equinesite.com which is a New England based BB and classifieds site. Also equinehomes.com is a mostly New England focused real estate site. I don't know anyone who has worked with there realtors but worth a look! Goodluck!

My vet's office is in Newtown, and they are absolutely incredible!

I most recently moved from Newtown and sold my horse property there. I'm still pretty connected to the area. Feel free to PM me any questions. Also, Lucassb lived there for a long time and is a wealth of knowledge.

Blackhorse Equestrian Center
    Bethany, CT 06524

I have known the owners for over twenty years

One of my boarders is a real estate broker specializing in Horse properties in that area. If you PM me I'll give you her contact details. She's very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    Blackhorse Equestrian Center
    Bethany, CT 06524

I have known the owners for over twenty years
    When I was horse hunting back in 2008, the very first horse I tried was a Morgan pony at this place. I really liked it. The pony, unfortunately, was too green for me.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"
    2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine "What do I do with you, Baby J?"

SMF11, you have a PM

It looks like a neat area, and I'm glad to hear there is good vet care. How are other horsie services? Farrier? Dentist? What's the hay market like?

I'll check out equinesite.com and will get in touch with Blackhorse if we need a place to stash the ponies before the move is complete. Thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you looking at the place for 379K on the 5 acres with the barn and riding ring? I've already been to see that one. If that's it, feel free to PM me.

Newtown has a nice trail system. They do tax horses in that town, but I think you can just say it's a companion horse and not pay much. It is a pricey town. The farriers know it's big money, so they tend to charge more there. I was using the same farrier there as a friend was in another town. He charged me $200 for 4 shoes and her $160 for the same job. Vets are pricey overall in CT, but Fairfield Equine is very good and right there which is convenient if you ever need a bone scan or something alone those lines.

Nope, not that property, but would be curious about it if you'd like to send me the link and your thoughts.

They TAX horses? How...odd? Mine really are just pets at this point, so we can make that work

We do have some very good vets and farriers in the area (I live in Bethany), but be ready to pay for those services. I definitely had sticker shock moving from FL. Towns in CT tax everything...cars, trailers, and yes I have paid taxes on my horse in at least one town I boarded in. At least in this area the first $1k of value is exempt then the remaining value is taxed as real property at the town's mill rate if the town chooses to tax horses (same as your house, car, etc).

CT taxes everything. If they could think of a way to tax air, they would.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Nope, not that property, but would be curious about it if you'd like to send me the link and your thoughts.

They TAX horses? How...odd? Mine really are just pets at this point, so we can make that work

As others have said, its an expensive area. Right now I'm paying $290 for four shoes to one farrier, $330 to the other. Excellent quality, top notch service - never waited more than 24 hours for a fix (even 2 hours away at a show once), and rarely need one.

Yes - as someone mentioned, I use Fairfield Equine. Their clinic is in Newtown with in-house MRI, scans, surgery suite, scope, etc. But their mobile service is also great. I switched from another practice 6 or 7 years ago, and would never go back. I use their dental services too.

There are two fantastic chiropractors that service the area (maybe more that I don't know).

Have certainly heard that its costly to live there, but it's great to have benchmarks! How about this stuff, just to get an idea of the range?

Trim?
    Power float dental?
    50# bale of hay (grass or alfalfa or mix)?
    Spring shots + coggins?

Right now we're in sort of the polar opposite....few horse services, but wow is everything CHEAP. I really am looking forward to having more available, even if there will be some sticker shock.

4 steel shoes with front pads has been running me 275-325. What I was surprised by is that they don't reset the shoes here (that had been common practice in FL). Trim only with no shoes was running me around 50.

Coggins on my filly was just under $60, Vaccines running $40-60 each depending on what it is. We use one of the top vet practices where my filly is (not Fairfield though) farm call to this area runs us over $100.

I've found hay prices to be much more reasonable than what I was used to in FL, but it depends a bit on where your hay comes from. The training barn where my show horse is feeds local hay. The barn where my filly is feeds NY hay.

Not sure on the cost of a power float as I use a dentist from out of state.

Fairfield Equine was excellent -- I used them for 20 years before moving away. I'm guessing good grass hay is around ten bucks a bale and on its way up, like in the rest of New England -- we're paying 11/bale now in the Boston area.

There are plenty of horses living in the abutting NY towns, from Pound Ridge and north, who have all the necessary services, too, so don't be distracted by state lines and think they're far away

Property shopping in the northeast is nutty -- prices vary dramatically by very small increments of distance, based on real & less-obvious things. Like, you may not care about the quality of the school system or the location of the nearest Superfund site, or the proximity to a defunct mill-town, but, you'll want to know what impacts the prices so you can make your own decisions. I recommend asking a ton of questions that might seem rude in any other part of the world, but are the norm here. For instance, no matter what the realtor says, look up the horse rules for each town yourself, and ask about development, as in, can your neighbor put 100 houses on that hay field. Newtown is a pretty old Yankee farm town with a steady influx of NYC money & development -- a cultural blending of the sullen with the brash . It's still cute as a bug, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Have certainly heard that its costly to live there, but it's great to have benchmarks! How about this stuff, just to get an idea of the range?

Trim?
    Power float dental?
    50# bale of hay (grass or alfalfa or mix)?
    Spring shots + coggins?

Right now we're in sort of the polar opposite....few horse services, but wow is everything CHEAP. I really am looking forward to having more available, even if there will be some sticker shock.
    Trim: $100
    Dentals: TOTALLY depends on scope of work, but farm calls start at $75...I would expect to pay no less than $250.
    Hay: There aren't really any dealers that will do 50 pound bales - expect 25-35 pound bales and expect first cutting to run you $8 and up and second cutting to run you $10 and up.

Fairfield Equine is lovely and comprehensive, Mark Baus is also a good vet, and I like Ron Gaeta and Krista Zahn as well. There are many good options for vet care in the area.

I'll be the voice of dissent on Blackhorse - I did NOT keep a horse there but did go to view it prior to moving and it was not somewhere I would have left a horse. Perhaps it has changed since. My former neighbors are selling their horse property, although I believe they took it off the market recently. Feel free to PM.

HA. Now there's the sticker shock I thought I'd see A hundy for a trim IS quite impressive.

And $10 for a 30 lb bale? Also impressive. Maybe I can just have a semi of hay hauled in from MN yearly I'm paying $4 for a 50 ish lb bale of beautiful 2nd cutting mix hay (I know it's a steal...things are SO cheap here.) And I paid $285/ton for a fifth cutting alfalfa that was beautiful!

Well, board in Fairfield County/Westchester County is EXPENSIVE for a reason. You are looking at between $1200 (basic care) to $3500 (full care) a month.

Just a heads up that the hay won't be what you are used to. There is a seller in NY that ships in from the west, but it's also expensive...

I live in Woodbury, about 15 minutes from Newtown. Taxes are outrageous in CT. Yes, there are taxes on horses. You declare their value and pay personal property tax on them like on your car, boat, etc.

We have a great farrier (Jaret Horseshoeing) and there are several other super ones in the area as well. Around $200 for 4 shoes, think a trim is around $60. He has been a horseman all his life, mom is a trainer, raised on a farm, so he's very knowledgeable and loves the animals.

We use New England Equine and loooooove them. Prices probably comparable to Fairfield. But they are another option in the area so if you move, do check them out as well. Dental with no power tools but sedation was around $250 including the farm call; Coggins was $55 I think (?) and I rx the shots and do them myself (vet has to do the rabies).

I've had hay included in my board for the past 6 months but had been paying anywhere from $6-$8 for a bale of first cut, CT or NY grass hay, average 30 lb bales. There are several local dealers who are open certain days to pick up, as well as delivery.

I'd love to be in Newtown for the Bridle Lands!

Good luck with your move!