The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse rescue in trouble!

I ran across this in the news. Sounds like they would appreciate any help that can be given and appears to be an honorable rescue.

http://wane.com/news/local/horse-res...victed-friday/
    Last edited by rockfordbuckeye; Mar. 19, 2014 at 06:23 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are they a 501(c)3? It doesn't say so on their website.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

The IRS has them listed as a public charity although I can't tell if that means a 501(c)3.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Are they a 501(c)3? It doesn't say so on their website.
    At the bottom of the article OP posted:

About Shadarobah Horse Rescue
    Situated at 10113 Goshen Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46818 since 2008, Shadarobah is a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization which takes in horses in need of homes due to changes in family situations, economic conditions, etc., saving them from slaughter, abuse and neglect with the ultimate goal of placing them in loving, nurturing, forever homes. We work with local law enforcement agencies to ensure proper care of animals found in substandard living conditions. We nurture and nourish these beautiful animals bringing them back to full health, knowing that many of the horses have endured traumatic lives as a result of neglect, abuse, malnutrition and poor health. In caring for the horses, we are guided by the words, “May the future be better than the past.”
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

I was hoping this was about MCF....

Their Facebook page has more updates for those interested. Looks like a pretty happy and well cared for group of horses. https://www.facebook.com/Shadarobah Maybe the *magic* of COTH can help out here!

Quote Originally Posted by rockfordbuckeye View Post
    Their Facebook page has more updates for those interested. Looks like a pretty happy and well cared for group of horses. https://www.facebook.com/Shadarobah Maybe the *magic* of COTH can help out here!
    I live close to this place. The numbers have risen slowly to out-of-control levels since the inception (ETA: it's been just over 6 years), by a woman who knew nothing about horses). There are a LOT of volunteers but the place operates on faith, has no safety net, and doesn't know how to say no.

I wish them luck, but I knew this would happen. The living conditions.....not ideal but I've seen worse. They are very good at fund raising, but not good business people - that's never good for the horses.

It's such a common and reoccurring story: the rescue needs rescued.

My friend took 2, 30 year old mares as fosters today for them, which seriously bothers me but I'm a meanie butt and a hater. *sigh* I really hate seeing old horses shuffled around .
    Last edited by hundredacres; Mar. 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I live close to this place. The numbers have risen slowly to out-of-control levels since the inception (and that was in the last 10 years, by a woman who knew nothing about horses). There are a LOT of volunteers but the place operates on faith, has no safety net, and doesn't know how to say no.

I wish them luck, but I knew this would happen. The living conditions.....not ideal but I've seen worse. They are very good at fund raising, but not good business people - that's never good for the horses.

My friend took 2, 30 year old mares as fosters today for them, which seriously bothers me but I'm a meanie butt and a hater. *sigh* I really hate seeing old horses shuffled around .
    Well that's unfortunate isn't it?
    I wondered if this was the situation when this thread popped up.

Kudos to your friend for trying to help two oldies.

Gosh HA weren't you just posting about losing a farm yourself due to unfortunate circumstances? Have some compassion for others who end up in tight spots instead of wagging a finger. I didn't post so that people could come and ridicule, I posted so that people would help. It's not the horses fault that the owners aren't financially savvy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Gosh HA weren't you just posting about losing a farm yourself due to unfortunate circumstances? Have some compassion for others who end up in tight spots instead of wagging a finger. I didn't post so that people could come and ridicule, I posted so that people would help. It's not the horses fault that the owners aren't financially savvy.
    Are you in the vicinity of this rescue?
    Do you know these people personally?

Being a 501c3 doesn't insure anything and good intentions don't feed horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Do you personally have information that they are a faux rescue, etc.? Why do you feel you need to have a dog in this "fight"?

How is your negative suspicion helping anything? Regardless of what they are, the horses need help now. That should be good enough for anyone. Would you not help save a horse that came from a "bad" owner because you didn't like the owner? How is this different? Again - none of this is the animals fault and my point was to try and help THEM.

I don't know the rescue at all and I do not live in the area. I just happened to see it skimming the news. I don't see anything on their page or pictures that makes me think they are dishonest or not caring of the animals. They all look well fed and tended to. The local media is reporting and present. If there was neglect or unsanitary conditions, etc. I don't think it would be missed based on the amount of press that is being generated.

Gosh, so much for the magic of COTH.

I'm sure the organization tried to help the horses and the current situation is very unfortunate. Hope they can find a place soon to move the horses to. I'm going to see if I can help out somehow.

Do you personally have information that they are a faux rescue, etc.? Why do you feel you need to have a dog in this "fight"?

How is your negative suspicion helping anything? Regardless of what they are, the horses need help now. That should be good enough for anyone. Would you not help save a horse that came from a "bad" owner because you didn't like the owner? How is this different? Again - none of this is the animals fault and my point was to try and help THEM.

I don't know the rescue at all and I do not live in the area. I just happened to see it skimming the news. I don't see anything on their page or pictures that makes me think they are dishonest or not caring of the animals. They all look well fed and tended to. The local media is reporting and present. If there was neglect or unsanitary conditions, etc. I don't think it would be missed based on the amount of press that is being generated.

Gosh, so much for the magic of COTH.
    Hundredacres offered actual, known to her information about this place.
    She didn't trash them, she offered her opinion re: how they got where they are today.
    That is good information to have... if you bail them out, will they do better in the future with keeping the number of horses they have at a 'supportable' number and not end up in this fix again?

Asking you if you had first hand information is not a negative. Perhaps you are local and could counter Hundredacres comments or shed better light on the situation.

Umbrage, however, over questions, helps no one.

As for the last paragraph, think back to the news story on Today show last Easter about the mare who had the 'miracle' twin foals... people all over the US ooh'ing and aaah'ing over the TWINS!!! not a singe 'journalist' noticed that mare was skin and bones... go take a look at the website for Mill Creek Farm Retirement Home for Horses, look at the pics on their website, check out the numerous stories via AP about them, then go look at the thread here on COTH written by knowledgeable horseman COTH'ers who visited and posted pictures of the animals they saw:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...es-Nov-16-2013

All the press in the world swarming the place, is no guarantee that all things that look good or are in fact 'good'. Giving money to a person or org. that finds itself in a 'fix', that will just continue the poor behavior that got them in the fix to begin with, isn't always the best way to help the horses.

Questioning this organization and how they got in the fix they are in is not an accusation that it's a bad place or the primaries are bad people.
    It's just a smart thing to do.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Mar. 21, 2014 at 08:09 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    I live close to this place. The numbers have risen slowly to out-of-control levels since the inception (and that was in the last 10 years, by a woman who knew nothing about horses). There are a LOT of volunteers but the place operates on faith, has no safety net, and doesn't know how to say no.

I lived in this area & still have family there. Their assessment of the place is similar - basically that someone is running a rescue as a means to subsidize their horse habit.*

Maybe the situation is a shame, maybe it's not. Not every barn closure is a loss.

ETA * - Not saying they're using rescue money to pay for their own horses, just that their desire to have horses is filled by the rescue, which is ultimately funded by others.
    Last edited by red mares; Mar. 21, 2014 at 08:47 AM. Reason: clarify post

If you are running a rescue (and a 501(c)3), it is your fiduciary responsibility to make sure that someone in your organization is "financially savvy." This rescue isn't someone's personal farm, it's a taxpayer subsidized (by virtue of its tax exemption) business.

All rescues should have someone on their board and helping with their day to day management with business experience. This hand to mouth existence, constantly begging for money because of one disaster or another is not good for the animals they want to help.

Do it right...set up the rescue the right way, don't take in more animals than you can financially support, make sure there is a cash cushion. And never, never use it for your own financial gain.

the owners aren't financially savvy.
    Lack of financial savvy is why many people lose/sell their horses. Why should rescues be exempt? Because they have "good intentions"?

The did get their act together & found another barn, the horses were move this morning. Sounds like a lower rent area than where they were if I'm remember the area correctly (which I might not be)

http://wane.com/news/local/shadaroba...fore-eviction/

2 members found this post helpful.

You over reacted to my comments OP. I sent money. I sent friends with trailers. I made a connection for them for grant money. I NEVER said they were dishonest or that the horses were in terrible shape. Show that to me.

What the woman who runs this rescue does have going for her, is balls and volunteers. She's out there, she raises money she has a presence in the community. What she needs to do now, is fine tune her business skills and stop taking in un-adoptable horses.

But it's ANOTHER rescue operating by the skin of their teeth. Speaking the truth about how they operate, which is how most rescues operate. Rescuing the rescue - it happens on a weekly basis.

I lost my farm recently and MANY people suggested I send my horses to this rescue. There was no way in hell. I took care of every one of my animals through my personal tragedy -- on my own --. I have choice, choice words for you but I will refrain.

BTW, Shadarobah has been losing their property for a long time but another friend took a horse that they took in just last week. They wanted her to take another horse they've had for 3 years that has never had it's feet trimmed. They were also out of grain when she picked up the horse. This horse needed about 200 pounds of weight to be safe, and they took it in with an eviction notice looming and no grain to offer it. True story.

I hope they get their act together and learn what is salvageable, and what their limits are. We need rescues with business sense.
    Last edited by hundredacres; Mar. 21, 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Lack of financial savvy is why many people lose/sell their horses. Why should rescues be exempt? Because they have "good intentions"?
    Actually, in a majority of cases, it's because of a job loss or medical bills. A taxpayer supported charitable organization really doesn't have either excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Actually, in a majority of cases, it's because of a job loss or medical bills. A taxpayer supported charitable organization really doesn't have either excuses.
    fair enough. We can agree that lack of finances are a valid reason to lose/sell a horse. My language wasn't as precise as it could have been.