The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by nero
    """The Other side consists of lots of US riders( let's call them the republicans..)""""
    Ok, this die hard DEM is NOW offended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think Shrubco represents the U.S. take a look at actual election results. He wasn't even ELECTED the first time and quite narrowly the second time (how, I will NEVER understand).

This administration barely represents half of the people who actually voted. Nevermind all the people too fed up to bother. But I digress.....
    There are your fog people and your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said. Brian Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by nero
    That aside when arguing that we use pics of rk to 'prove' it is hard on the horses, well that would only be vaild and useful for the purposes of a debate if the pics (that are so often used on these forums, the same ones over and over again, from the ONE source,) WERE NOT taken by someone with an axe to grind against the method itself. Lets have a pro rker take pics at a show, edit them, select the ones they want for their purposes, or better still someone who was totally neutral in the debate, then if those pics still look harsh and show horses twisted and tormented you might have a case.
    Thank you for finally entering into a discussion.

1. Have the pics in H4L really been used before? (Actual, serious question)
    2. I would LOVE to see photos from MANY sources of horses actually in RK for discussion. The problem typically is, though, when a pro RK person posts pics, they post pics from the show ring--NOT actually IN RK.

I'd love to see some if any one has them.
    There are your fog people and your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said. Brian Andreas

"and we're forever thankful to have our omnipotent slc give us the straight scoop on what we're really saying."

no seigi, that's just how i see it. you'll have to decide what you think yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    The real question in the end is: have horses suffered a lot because of RK and if they have- do they suffer as much as those that you describe because they have their feet disfigured, or those that are treated abusively to jump higher or those that get raced at age 2 and die on the track.
    I just cannot comprehend the "since THEY do it, it's ok for US to do it" philosophy. Many horses in ALL disciplines are started too early, pushed too hard, and die in the name of "sport".

I would certainly hope we set the bar a bit higher than death to determine what is and isn't cruel.

class, everyone should strive to improve their knowledge, I'm not sure what is funny about that. It would be sheer arrogance for a person to think they know EVERYTHING and have nothing else to learn.

Pots, kettles, frying pans, they're all great for troll poking, lol.

sorry. i just got a tickle out of you telling an "R" judge what the number scores meant. i'm sure that is very useful information to her.

not to say the pro rollkurists here offer anything better in return. most here i don't think have much experience with it, and are just repeating things they heard, too.
    Uh Oh slc.....I think you might be onto something here......

I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I'd add two "thoughts":

According to my calendar the full moon was on the 9th of August - today it is the last quarter. And it isn't as hot out - so tempers can't be blamed on heat, either. So perhaps the last quarter of the moon is the culprit and not the full moon or high temps.

I couldn't help but notice that you could replace the word "Rollkur" with "slaughter" and this thread has amazing parallels to slaughter threads. How interesting.

Oops - I guess that's three "thoughts".

Back to your regularly scheduled Rollkur debate. I'm just lurking while I wait for the farrier to show up!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tewhann
    I just cannot comprehend the "since THEY do it, it's ok for US to do it" philosophy. Many horses in ALL disciplines are started too early, pushed too hard, and die in the name of "sport".

I would certainly hope we set the bar a bit higher than death to determine what is and isn't cruel.

you can do as you please TEwhann- you can ride RK (if you know how) or abstain if you have ethical concerns...I do the same- and choose to abstain. However I would never dream of telling you that you couldn't try it...that would be akin to me lording over you my ethical framework.

Since none of the RK horses are clearly and apparently suffering from their training in the sense that they break down regularly, show high amounts of tension during competitions or are known otherwise as treacherously dangerous and unpredictable- I have a hard time attaching such a serious verdict on to a photograph- which as always- just reflects a moment in time.

Can I ask a REALLY stupid question?

What is the purpose of this post, and where was it supposed to go. The OP was check it out, we must speak for those who have no voice.

Well ok. Now somewhere along the way the pot met the kettle and the black dog jumped over the moon while his owner was running behind him with his GPS hoping to scratch him behind his ears right on his GSPOT. Then the democrats moved on, some judge somewhere obviously does not know how to use the scores, and slc is right. OK at least in slc's mind. Elvis wore white after Labor Day and was abducted by aliens as a result. It's also been noticed that if we replace the word ROLLKUR with the world BILLYGOAT, then the post makes absolutely no sense at all.

I would say with the complete lack of intelligible information coming from either side, one poster definitely being much less intelligible than the rest, maybe you should all save and energy and just post in big letters, "I'M RIGHT AND YOUR WRONG", and be done with it.

The facts?

- Rollkur in the picture looks cruel.
    - You can't judge a process by a picture.
    - You also can't judge a process from a picture from an article that was written to make a point. (I am quite sure that if the writer wanted to show the benefits of rollkur, much better pictures would have been used.)
    -People posting on this topic haven't ridden at this level or close, and certainly not this caliber horse.
    -I suspect some of the strongest opinions on this topic haven't ridden their way out of training level and have never felt a horse honestly in front of the leg or through.
    -Some posters are very big name droppers, even when they're incoherent.

In summation, I will say, SHARE THE MEDS AND SAVE THE WHALES AND LEAVE ROLLKUR TO THE PROFESSIONALS.

Thank you for your time.

Have a nice day!

does anky should be shot and anky kills horses...qualify as 'name dropping'? or is it just named droppings?

I would say that that would be consider a threat, as well as slander.

Glue sniffing anyone?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by subk
    Wow! How arrogant. You know this is a public BB and just because you spend a lot of time here it doesn't give you extra special rights to decide who ought to be here and what subject matters should be in the posts. The readership around here is much more fluid than your personal little cliques.

If you are tired of Rolkur posts then...Don't open them--even more effective: don't post on them. The nastiness of the pro-Rolkur crowd is enough to make me want to be against it. Personally I like passionate people--I may not agree with them but I have a certain respect for them.
    Very well put subk! Maybe if some of the "democrats" stopped opening and posting on RK threads...it would die a natural death

Then again, maybe they enjoy trainwrecks