The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Oh Aunt Esther

If shopping is what you like... You really MUST take up driving. Not only do you get to go horse shopping, there are the clothes and HATS (to go with your purses) and carriages too (not to mention the marathon gear for CDEs). Plus what other horse sport offers Picnic classes!

I think I can see what the problem is with the non-warmbloods though... They aren't tall enough to fit that tiny person on a giant horse picture that is the current image of dressage! Under 16 hand horses... what are you people thinking of!

Says me who spent a LOT of time looking for 15.2 or under horses just recently - no ma'am I WON'T be just as happy with your 17 h horse. I'd like one that doesn't require an oxygen mask to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by knz66
    How about purchasing a horse advertised as half dutch/half TB only to get the papers from at that time AHSA and under breed, says "PINTO"
    Did they mean Pennsylvania Dutch?

Talking

Here are some pics of my Appy boy, Strollin' Cash! I love my non traditional breed and would probably apt for another non-trad breed should I ever strike it rich and be able to buy another horse!
    We especially have fun when we perform our Pas De Deux with a fellow Appy in our area! We definitely turn heads... (and just a slight brag but Cash and his partner Wolfie recently won the Pas De Deux class at Morven park in July! YEAH!)
    I find it quite amusing too when people ask what breed Cash is... guess the long, full tail throws them off!
    http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL971/.../153227177.jpg
    http://pic2.picturetrail.com/VOL971/.../153227189.jpg
    "Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
    -Ann Landers

I ride a Dutch reg'd Friesian at training level. We have yet to embark on our show career but I love her! She has such a big trot and the best rocking horse canter. During my last lesson, I overheard some people debating whether or not they should have their legs shaved!! This is of course a sin in the Friesian world,so I couldn't even begin to contemplate doing such a thing. I know the registry classifies them as warmblood but of course they certainly are not your traditional warmblood breed. I had post pics for critique a while ago, I will try and post a link when I get home.

Aunt Esther, would you be willing to share some pictures of yourself and your lovely dressage mounts? And your horses doing other disciplines, as well, if you would be so inclined.

Mr. Jude does love his xc, and has obliged to perform the requisite dressage in order to get to the cross country field, but I cannot say he "does" dressage. His best dressage, by far, is done on the jump field.

Our little Arab, though, will be quite the dressage star, I am sure of it. I can understand, Aunt Esther, why you are not so very fond of PB Arabs, but appreciate your consideration of the Arab enthusiats out there.

And Meredith, I am utterly drooling. How does he feel about chestnut Arabs with perfectly coiffed natural-length blonde manes?

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Esther
    And hopes that they will include photos.
    I've got a non-warmblood that's also not technically a dressage horse (reiner). However he's stepped in the dressage pen once (a schooling show)...I'd try showing it more if there were any shows around here! He's 15hh, has a draft-sized heart and the patience/tolerance of a saint I'll let you guess this one's breed

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...ssageAug06.jpg

(PS - if Aunt Esther could be so kind as to not mention any of my fashion faux pas -- I'm a western rider with a western horse! -- I'd be grateful )

Aunt Esther, I am concerned that your permissive attitude toward breeds will lead to the enjoyment of dressage by all.

Glad to know I am not the only one without a Warmblood...although mine kinda looks like a mini Warmblood when his mane is pulled. He's actually a Connemara pony.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nch=imgAnch116

Please ignore the rider (me!) in this one:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...nch=imgAnch115

And just because he's so darn CUTE:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Anch=imgAnch19

And here is my newest project...definitely thinking Grand Prix potential with this one:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...Anch=imgAnch15

Quote Originally Posted by Jude
    And Meredith, I am utterly drooling. How does he feel about chestnut Arabs with perfectly coiffed natural-length blonde manes?
    Trust me, he's not picky. A lot of people are big fans of the Hispano-Arabs!

Default Aunt Esther continues to swoon at the photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Jude
    Aunt Esther, would you be willing to share some pictures of yourself and your lovely dressage mounts? And your horses doing other disciplines, as well, if you would be so inclined.

Mr. Jude does love his xc, and has obliged to perform the requisite dressage in order to get to the cross country field, but I cannot say he "does" dressage. His best dressage, by far, is done on the jump field.

Our little Arab, though, will be quite the dressage star, I am sure of it. I can understand, Aunt Esther, why you are not so very fond of PB Arabs, but appreciate your consideration of the Arab enthusiats out there.

Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, loves learning about her fellow BB members' horses and seeing the beautiful photos.

Aunt Esther feels she must clarify her position on Arabians a bit. Aunt Esther, while not a huge fan of them, likes nothing more than to see someone on an Arabian wipe the floor with people on giant Warmbloods. Aunt Esther always feels that the karma is particularly good on days like that. It makes the Arabian owner/rider smile, and it reminds the Warmblood people that they do not have an exclusive on blue ribbons.

Aunt Esther is quite fond of Anglo Arabs, and learned to jump years ago in Lanaken on a lovely French Anglo Arab.

Aunt Esther, who is a purist, reminds the naysayers that dressage, after all, means training. It does not mean Be A Bitch About What One Doesn't Like And Look Down One's Nose At Other People. And whether one "does" dressage on a 13.2hh mongrel pony cross or a $500,000 pushbutton FEI schoolmaster than one simply had to have, both are "doing" dressage. After all, Aunt Esther has always been about the horses.

Aunt Esther is also pleased to see top hats. USEF Rule DR120 says "a hunt cap or riding hat with a hard shell, derby or top hat." It does not include "but only if you 'earned' a top hat'." Aunt Esther has always felt that the attitude about "earning" one's top hat is ridiculous. One only lives once. And if the rider wants to wear a top hat, Aunt Esther feels they should have at it. After all, the majority of riders will never show FEI. Most will never show above first level. Aunt Esther feels that this silly and snobbish "earning" a top had attitude is for the birds. The same thing goes for derbies not being "in style." Aunt Esther says bugger that and wear whatever one most feels like wearing.

Of course, within the bounds of what is in good taste, of course.

Sadly, Aunt Esther cannot share photos of herself. For if Aunt Esther's true identity was to be revealed, Aunt Esther would forever be mobbed in public.

Well, I'm an Andi fan. You go Meredith. Hope you make it to Nationals!!!!!

I don't have pics to post of my 11yo 3/4 andi (1/8 arab + 1/8 quarter horse = full andi looks). When I'm not ready to kill him, I'm having a blast with him as he does the harder elements of dressage for shits and giggles. Now that I've finally gotten my saddle issues under control, maybe I can meet Meredith at nationals some year.

Here's a young Irish Draught stallion I owned/raised/sold (and have a bad case of seller's remorse over). He's not under saddle yet in these pics but they show his movement:

Harkaway Lionhawk at 2 years of age

Hawk at 3 years old
    Liz
    Ainninn House Stud
    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Talking

I just had to join in the fun!

Here is Aragon and his wonderful baby "custom" baby blue pad! He is a 3 year old Section D Welsh Cob!

Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, please know that this pad is for schooling purposes, as is the black CC saddle. We were preparing for a cavelleti lesson... We do like to look smart for our instructor! Do I get points for that?

http://s106.photobucket.com/albums/m...gAnch=imgAnch1
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Default the hiatus is over :D

Just because i'm a sucker *jk*. Aunt Esther.... this is my stb/belgian (well from an educated guess) about 16 y/o (again, an educated guess). I know there are some attire faux paus.... i am searching for a good pair of white gloves -- and i will forever tape his braids BUT, i loff my WHITE show pad (homemade prize for grand champion sr dressage at a little recognized show last year )

http://groups.msn.com/CAROLnDOCCER/c...oto&PhotoID=24

I'm putting the link to a prior post where i have 4 pics. I love this horse to death And he does quite well, getting better every ride. All of these pics are in first level.

http://praha.planetsg.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=53359 -- the 'concentrating pic in post 2, is us before our class.

PS - yes he is 'dahling' but he's also a good boy Thanks
    Carol and Princess Dewi

**~Doccer'sDressage~**

Gallop on Grant - where do you ride? That arena looks somehow familiar...

Elegane E - whether or not I ride at Nationals this year, I will still be there to watch and swoon over all the beautiful Andis. I look forward to seeing you and your boy there sometime!

Default Showing Spots

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse
    Ah man, people would sure give me odd looks when I showed up at clinics on my appeeloosa...

Wait a minnit, i resemble that remark!

I have a Danish Knabstrupper, in fact I have several, and we show proudly, in all disciplines!
    but I am considering changing Xavoys name to "I-am-not-an-Appaloosa".

SPOTS RULE man!

You can see all the spotties at
    www.knabstruppers4usa.com
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Waterwitch
    Here's a young Irish Draught stallion I owned/raised/sold (and have a bad case of seller's remorse over). He's not under saddle yet in these pics but they show his movement:

Harkaway Lionhawk at 2 years of age

Hawk at 3 years old
    Liz, he's on my list of stallions to consider for Miss Virginia. This will be her only foal and it has to be extra special

Ignore the fashion and rider form fo paws and check out these knees! This pic was obviously taken a looooonnnnngggg time ago. We used to show up at a horse trial and people would say "You're not going to event HIM are you?"
    http://www.msnusers.com/critterpictu...hoto&PhotoID=5

He was a BLAST to ride and usually placed in dressage also. I put him down at age 37, 3 years ago.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Default norwegian fjord

Aunt Esther it is so nice to hear somebody acknowledge the Norwegian Fjord. I just started mine schooling training level and he loves it. We definately have some warmblood competition but he's a great pony.

Meredith, I ride at Highgate. Do you know it?

I will be at Nationals keeping EleganteE company! Taking her to Joe T's for pitchers of margaritas!
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Hmmm... No, I am not familiar with Highgate. Your indoor arena just looks very much like the one from my childhood barn in Plano.