The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Any horsey habits that you carried over into your non horsey life?

Just as the topic says.
    Last edited by Shodan VIII; Aug. 5, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
    I'm a furry and proud of it!

FOUNDER OF: Closet Canterers Clique and (VERY PROUD) Closet Canterer

My husband says I herd him. When we're walking somewhere, ie through the grocery store, instead of saying "let's turn right here," I just turn right, herding him in that direction. Just seems so much more simpler that way...
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

I have caught myself trying to "encourage" my truck to change lanes properly by shifting my weight and asking it to engage.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

fullmoon fever, I do that too! I also noticed when I accelerate in my truck I get in 2 point a little.

I also started giving my dogs supplements, though that's not strange, I do treat them a lot like horses in other ways too...

I once pondered aloud whether my son would "throw" a boy or girl when he becomes a father.

My husband was flabbergasted.
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

Yes, I cluck at people in the grocery store who are blocking me - they just need to back up

I cluck at kids, cats, dogs and just about everyone. At the grocey store I've been known to say "back, back, back" to some lady's cart in my way.
    I also shift weight when approaching a turn in my car.

I turn my dog out- but I know a lot of people here do that!

Things from polo:
    I use lax sticks and balls like a polo mallet, and get confused when teams switch goals after every quarter and not every goal.

I'm told that while trying to list items from an orphanage (written on a piece of paper in Spanish in front of me that I had to say aloud in English) I substitued horse for something I didn't know- though I swear I didn't!

I wonder why my school's athletic teams don't have big white tents and provide food for the players, and why people come in jeans and flip-flops.

I think "near" is left.

I wonder why people care so much what number they have on their jerseys (since I'm used to being assigned a number with a position).

I wonder how my classmate's right arms can possibly be tired after holding them up for only five minutes waiting for the teacher.

And, finally and most importantly....

I wonder how people can watch a video of skateboarders that take a fall at 10mph off a two-inch platform on wheels with no brain and gasp, "Oh, that must have hurt!"
    <><

I have the habit of clucking to my car to get up big hills....then patting the dashboard and telling it it's a "gooood car" when it makes it. :-)
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I also shift my weight in the car for some random reason.

I also lead people I'm not one to be led.

I do distance in terms of strides.

I also find myself clucking...and getting odd looks when doing it.

But more importantly, the biggest thing I do is question myself about money "Do I really want my hair coloured...or do I want that nice new bridle?"
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Default yup

do them all.

my truck just won't leg yield though. . .

I catch myself saying whoa to my kids when I have to do something that they don't like (cutting fingernails, cleaning behind the ears, etc.)
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

I, too, cluck to my car and pat the dashboard when "she" responds well.

I also turn my dogs out. I ask my DH if he's fed and watered the dogs.

My SIL throws foals that look just like their sire! (She has one son from a previous marriage who is the spitting image of his Dad and my brother's sons are the spitting image of him. It's uncanny!)

I've been know to pet my DH when he's a good boy.

When I'm a passenger in a car, I always count strides between any fence I can find on the side of the road.

I can not go to bed without sweeping the "aisle" (hallway) and the kitchen. Too bad the rest of the house wasn't as clean as the barn....
    Duct tape is like The Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by DQ2 (formerly MM2)
    I also turn my dogs out. I ask my DH if he's fed and watered the dogs.

When I'm a passenger in a car, I always count strides between any fence I can find on the side of the road.

I do the fence thing too! And when I'm not able to feed the dogs at my house, whoever is responsible, I always tell them to make sure the dogs are well fed and watered. Whenever my dogs are really slow coming to go to bed, I always cluck to them, and whenever I'm in the car and I see a big open field, I imagine myself galloping on my horse across it.

Quote Originally Posted by twnkltoz
    My husband says I herd him. When we're walking somewhere, ie through the grocery store, instead of saying "let's turn right here," I just turn right, herding him in that direction. Just seems so much more simpler that way...
    Haha me too! SO says he feels like a horse whenever i start walking into him (with my elbow hehe) to encourage him to move over.

I count my strides when walking and look for distances when stepping over things like cracks in the sidewalks, doorways and curbs!

I count my strides whilst I canter/ gallop up a polo field.

After I posted my first post on this thread, I was driving along thinking of license plates, and wondering how one would say 15.5 (the age when I got my car, which, btw, already has a special horsey plate ). I thought maybe 15-5, then I "corrected" myself, : "No, half- it would be 15-2!"

I'm so palamino.
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ
    Haha me too! SO says he feels like a horse whenever i start walking into him (with my elbow hehe) to encourage him to move over.
    Mine gets annoyed when I want him to move over at the sink and I nudge him with my elbow and cluck to him. He gets mulish and then refuses to move until I "ask like a person". Maybe he would respond better to Peeps....
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

Theres a life and people that doesn't involve horses?

Who knew?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Um, I sometimes paw when I get impatient or bored , I kick or stomp if a bug lands on my legs (you can't swat a fly when you are holding a fishing pole). A girl nudged me in the flank/rib area and said "over" when I blocked her way (she was not a horse person) .
    I'm a furry and proud of it!

FOUNDER OF: Closet Canterers Clique and (VERY PROUD) Closet Canterer