The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Aunt Esther on White Gloves

Aunt Esther, national and international Purse Champion, would like to remind dressage competitors that dressage means white gloves.

Aint Esther would like to point out that black gloves are wrong. Dressage is "dressage," it is not "hunter jumper."

But what if you are doing eventing tests?
    Then don't white gloves = poser?

Aunt Ester, did you read responces to my "critique us" post? The white gloves - they are overpriced and always from thin, not breathable material. There are so much more comfortable black gloves, but I forgot that dressage is not about the comfort, right? STRESSAGE is about making look good every single detail in our outfits. Can we be not as black and white, please?

ain't Esther right.

I don’t know, I guess in "real" dressage, however, try telling a bunch of eventers that.

Why is it wrong to wear black gloves? What if your hands are not perfect and it would look worse, not beter?

I think dressage is about fluidity, meaning what looks the best should be used.
    ------------------------------

actually dressage is about sorting out your hand problems and not thinking you can cover them up with bad fashion accessories!

Quote Originally Posted by fiona
    actually dressage is about sorting out your hand problems and not thinking you can cover them up with bad fashion accessories!
    Well said fiona!

Aunt Esther, isn't there a rule about not wearing white before June and after labour day?
    And if you are going to wear white gloves, may I remind you they look very tacky when stained? This usually demands a new pair of white gloves for every show. Which is how I came to have 6 pairs of white schooling gloves some years back.

But now, all of mine are leopard print becuase they're the only ones the shop hasn't sold out of in show seasons, we're not showing and they match my (leopard) Lippaloosa...

Everything I touch turns grey/brown. My white show breeches have been worn 4 times and they already have permanent battle scars. I spent most of last night trying to get sweat stains out of my ratcatcher (worn less than 10 times). Don't get me started on the saddle pad. There is NO way I'm adding another single solitary piece of white. Especially not for mother-loving Training level schooling shows.

So you folks all have fun with your FEI movements and white gloves. I'm tied up with a bottle of bleach...

Why is it wrong to wear black gloves? What if your hands are not perfect and it would look worse, not beter?

I think dressage is about fluidity, meaning what looks the best should be used.
    If your hands are that much of an issue, gloves may be the least concern

White glove are available at a very reasonable price on ebay. Personally I have several pair of youth football receiver gloves. They are white so the receivers hands stand out, pretty durable, slightly tackified (is that a word?) so the ball won't slip and they go one sale every fall at large chain sporting goods stores. You can get a nice pair for $10 or less.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

That's not what the rules say.

the SSg ones are washable. I used Oxiclean on my pants, prewashed them in it and all the green and black came out.

And people wonder where the term "dressage queen" came from.
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Default AHA!!

I do believe that our own Aunt Esther is the virtual alias of Ms. Lisa Wilcox.

Quote Originally Posted by fiona
    This is just an opinion of Dressage queen

My hands get the most compliments from clinicians, judges and trainers. I feel that my hands are the biggest asset of my position and of my riding and for my level of riding my hands are really good according to several professionals. The shocker? I'm riding and showing in black gloves!!!! No, I'm not trying to hide my best asset, as I said before, black gloves are more comfortable and breathable. I have a collection of gloves for every weather to ride in. they are all black. Try to find white gloves for riding in winter or pouring rein.

Aunt Esther, my skin is very white. Especially against the dark bay (albeit somewhat summer bleached) of my horse. Can I skip the gloves altogether?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Black gloves are more comfortable?? How so? I wear RSL gloves and they are so thin and soft. And then there are Roeckl's.
    http://www.eurosaddlery.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=298

I don't even wear black gloves for everyday schooling and lessons. I wear old white ones, that are no longer in good enough shape for showing. Even when I evented, I wore white gloves for dressage.

Being called a DQ is a compliment imo.

But who would the rail birds have to point at and laugh about if I didn't ride my Paint horse eventer with my black gloves?

I will sacrifice myself up for the sake of DQ entertainment.

Talking You say DQ like that's a bad thing?

I'll have you know it pulled at my very heart strings to see black gloves with RHINESTONES on them in the tack store. Did they have them in white? No.
    But I am such a puritan that I knew I could not possibly show in them.

Actually, I am not showing at all this year until hubby finishes my bigger ring. I got tired of practicing in 20 x 40 and getting lost in the big ring.
    So it made it a bit easier to pass on the "bling bling" gloves as they may be a bit trendy, and already out of style by next year when I show again.

What I want to know is when you put on those lovely soft black gloves, how do you get out the black dye off your hands after your first ride?