The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Another observation, if Anky had ridden the exact same test as KB on Goldstern she would be crucified for having ruined a horse through dodgy training (she gets slammed for much less on her own horses all the time), instead KB is heralded a saint and genius for working with a modest horse - and getting the result that if Anky got she'd be criticised harshly - oh please!!!!!
    I was thinking this exact same thing but biting my tongue, not knowing what wrath might come down on the person bold enough to say something so
    true.

There really is a double standard when analysing topriders, which is unfair and hinders honest discussions as well.

In fact, what I enjoyed the most from watching the videos was the reminder that nobody is perfect, but the dressage can still be beatiful overall even with the bobbles.

I agreed Pinecone! Nice post!

Quote Originally Posted by pinecone

In fact, what I enjoyed the most from watching the videos was the reminder that nobody is perfect, but the dressage can still be beatiful overall even with the bobbles.
    Completely true, KB and Goldstern were obviously fantastic, I don't want ayone to think I was dissing them.

Talking

Replying to Nero and SAB- I think what I have noticed- riding dressage for a long time now- in Germany (classical) and then going thru many iterations of rethinking, observing, trying this and that, clinicing with Racinet- etc...I have finally come to my personal conclusion- that really good riding is less in where the neck is than mostly in how you can truly get the horse to feel you and you feel the horse,...in other words *and I know I suck at explaining* if you let the horse come to you- you can guide it- and I think the reason why Anky is phenomenal is not because she rides Rollkur- even though she does it- but so do many others do it too and less succesful...it is because she really has the utmost feel and ability to react- and I think she really has an incredibly tuned body- this does not mean that because she is skinny she is better- NOOO- big no- it's because she seems to have an extra layer of nerves around herself - that can sense just a split second before what will happen next and react perfectly- in correct measure and in an ASSURING WAY to the horse...

I really believe that this is the recipe of her success, and more than honing in on her RK riding (which I don't practice- but I am very fond of deep... I believe that this is what gives her continuing stellar performances, because her horse TRUSTS her and I think this what we need to shoot for!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine
    Replying to Nero and SAB- I think what I have noticed- riding dressage for a long time now- in Germany (classical) and then going thru many iterations of rethinking, observing, trying this and that, clinicing with Racinet- etc...I have finally come to my personal conclusion- that really good riding is less in where the neck is than mostly in how you can truly get the horse to feel you and you feel the horse,...in other words *and I know I suck at explaining* if you let the horse come to you- you can guide it- and I think the reason why Anky is phenomenal is not because she rides Rollkur- even though she does it- but so do many others do it too and less succesful...it is because she really has the utmost feel and ability to react- and I think she really has an incredibly tuned body- this does not mean that because she is skinny she is better- NOOO- big no- it's because she seems to have an extra layer of nerves around herself - that can sense just a split second before what will happen next and react perfectly- in correct measure and in an ASSURING WAY to the horse...

I really believe that this is the recipe of her success, and more than honing in on her RK riding (which I don't practice- but I am very fond of deep... I believe that this is what gives her continuing stellar performances, because her horse TRUSTS her and I think this what we need to shoot for!!
    Yes Sabine, I agree, when observing her ride at a recent clinic I got the sense that she is a incredibly instinctive rider and she seems to know what the horse will do before the horse does, its eerie in a good way watching her, and she can do amazing things to a horse she's just gotten on, or even watching from the ground. She just KNOWS horses.

Default It seems that you all missed something

When you listen to the commentator you will hear that he is saying that Goldstern is a very spooky horse in these kinds of environment.

This sounds very strange to me because he was a former police-horse.

Theo

Horsedances

We didn't miss a it. At least, some of us didn't. Just trying to keep the harmony here. Ha!

Great post SAb and Nero. Nero you are right on! I think Anky can feel the losses of balance when they happen in the hind end and can, immediately, correct them before they reach the wither or face. That is great timing and great riding! LDR or no LDR.
    Last edited by sabryant; Jul. 21, 2006 at 09:31 AM.