The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Compassion for OTTBs, many not so lucky

I'm wondering if there is any compassion left for the many OTTBs who become injured??? I've been trying to get help for vet bills at New Bolton for rescued OTTBs. Their owners dumped them and they were rescued through the efforts of COTHers on another thread in Off Course but there doesn't seem to be much interest in them now and money for their vet bills haven't come in.

You might figure out what's going on in my mind when I read about all the well wishers for Barbaro while I watched Nate and Kelly in my pasture, rejected and certainly neglected. Who cares about them? They need help and it's easily done. Instead of sending Carrots and flowers to Barbaro why not help a horse who needs your help. There are so many horses that need help but you can't give Barbaro anything he doesn't already have and he is provided for very well. He needs your prayers but he doesn't need all the carrots he's gotten, he can't eat them all.

Nate and Kelly are now in the hands of Lost and Found Horse Rescue, www.lfhr.org they are great horses. They deserve a chance at life too. Nate is only 4 years old. http://www.mjarden.com/nk.html Here's a video made by a fellow COTHer about them.
    Last edited by Susan P; Jul. 15, 2006 at 04:35 PM.

I think Barbaro would totally approve if donations would be made to help others in need. I bet, if he had any say, he'd be sending some himself. He is after all a millionaire!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Thank you for posting this . Just because we care deeply about Barbaro doesn't mean we don't care about the not-so-famous horses that need help. Many of my horses have been freebies. When one of my freebies had a catastrophic injury, she was treated at New Bolton, and received the same care and love Barbaro is receiving. They didn't ask for payment up front, and (although I did pay my bills right away) I know they are very patient with people who can't pay.

I'll look into Lost & Found Rescue and see how I can help. Is there a way they can set up a fund so that people can send money directly to New Bolton? I've been actively involved with two horses rescues in the past. The first was run by a shameless crook who took my money, and I left the second one because, frankly, the people running it were so naive and disorganized that they were doing as much harm as good. So I hope you understand why I am more comfortable sending the money directly to NBC.

The horses on the website are really cute!!
    Last edited by Spoilsport; Jul. 14, 2006 at 09:22 AM.

I agree that just because you care about Barbaro and I do too, it doesn't mean that you don't care about not-so-famous OTTBs. But let's just sit back and watch and see if this thread gets anywhere near the interest that the Barbaro thread does. In my opinion if you're going to send Bobby a gift and you can afford to do that then twice as much should go to help his brothers and sisters that are in such need. Until they are all safe, how can we not? Otherwise it's just like being a groupie for a movie star, a famous actor suffers the same as the poor men in the hospital ward for the poor. They can both have cancer and feel the same pain, have the same needs. The wealthy can afford whatever care they need, fine, but don't send him the flowers (unless he's a friend), send it to the ward where they don't receive them, pay for extra care or send candy. I hope I'm understood here. I would take nothing from Barbaro but instead ask for the others to share in the sympathy.

I appreciate that you do care about all the horses, Barbaro and Nate and Kelly as well as those who never had a chance. There are a lot more of those that never had a chance. We all need to have a heart and do what we can. I agree that Barbaro would want to live and let his racing buddies live too. I have a pony that was in a kill pen. http://horse-protection.org/info.php?id=47 Since this was written, Teddy had gone on to be a Pony Club pony and he and his young rider won many ribbons, champion and assorted colors. He started in riding camp, them PC Rally, they Fair Hill Horse Trials Elementary 6th out of 13. I'd say he's all that and a bag of chips and she's a great rider who loved him to pieces. She's riding a different horse now but still loves Teddy and so do I.

And read Gretchen Jackson's comments here: http://horse-protection.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Spoilsport
    Thank you for posting this . Just because we care deeply about Barbaro doesn't mean we don't care about the not-so-famous horses that need help. Many of my horses have been freebies. When one of my freebies had a catastrophic injury, she was treated at New Bolton, and received the same care and love Barbaro is receiving. They didn't ask for payment up front, and (although I did pay my bills right away) I know they are very patient with people who can't pay.

I'll look into Lost & Found Rescue and see how I can help. Is there a way they can set up a fund so that peopole can send money directly to New Bolton? I've been actively involved with two horses rescues in the past. The first was run a crook who took my money, and I left the second one because, frankly, the people running it were too naive. So I hopw you understand why I am more comfortable sending the money directly to NBC.

The horses on the website are really cute!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs
    I think Barbaro would totally approve if donations would be made to help others in need. I bet, if he had any say, he'd be sending some himself. He is after all a millionaire!

I have to say I find this thread being started just at this moment a bit in poor taste and the underlying suggestion that New Bolton by not doing pro-bono work is somehow a sign of no compassion a bit irksome.

A center like New Bolton could work 24/7 all year long with money-deprived horses injured - for free - and still not likely beable to fix them all. Not to mention the facility would be bankrupt in less then a couple of months and then to what benefit for anyone else would that have helped?

Just look at the Emergency Room crisis for US hospitals with humans.

Abandoned anything and everything has been around since the time of Jesus. Charles Dickens did not write tales of poor boys on the street turning to crime as a work of pure fiction - it happened then (abandoned children) and continues today. Just within the last couple of weeks Chicago was shocked to learn of a mother who dumped her son at a large public event.

I take my hat off to those folks who work at rescues, save horses from kill pens, and all that goes with the passion to make a difference. However I do draw the line at casting everyone who won't make their professional services free to everyone and all some how compassionless.

Susan, I have a lot of respect for you and your compassion is inspiring but I am slightly offended by this post. This BB has moved mountains to save many horses, so many have opened their hearts, farms and wallets.

What a shame to count how many views this thread has when the original thread to help had thousands.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

This came strictly out of your imagination. Never did I imply that New Bolton does not do pro bono work, I know for sure they do. They give of themselves quite generously including Dr. Richardson. He's been very generous and they are all generous to rescues. Of course they can't do everything for free. I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need. Since this is a horse forum I don't bring up children in need, there are many of those that need help too.

I have no clue who did what to help a horse but what I do see is rescues begging for help and I don't think they should be in that position. How many horses end up there that were supposedly loved at one time? We should all be grateful for the safety net of horse rescuers. They are the true heroes for horses. I would call Dean Richardson one of the heroes but not because he's a talented surgeon who is doing a hurculean effort to save Barbaro, but because he cares and helps any horse he can, and not always for money. I have NOTHING bad to say about New Bolton Center, they are MY vets, I think they are among the very best of caring vets in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass
    I have to say I find this thread being started just at this moment a bit in poor taste and the underlying suggestion that New Bolton by not doing pro-bono work is somehow a sign of no compassion a bit irksome.

A center like New Bolton could work 24/7 all year long with money-deprived horses injured - for free - and still not likely beable to fix them all. Not to mention the facility would be bankrupt in less then a couple of months and then to what benefit for anyone else would that have helped?

Just look at the Emergency Room crisis for US hospitals with humans.

Abandoned anything and everything has been around since the time of Jesus. Charles Dickens did not write tales of poor boys on the street turning to crime as a work of pure fiction - it happened then (abandoned children) and continues today. Just within the last couple of weeks Chicago was shocked to learn of a mother who dumped her son at a large public event.

I take my hat off to those folks who work at rescues, save horses from kill pens, and all that goes with the passion to make a difference. However I do draw the line at casting everyone who won't make their professional services free to everyone and all some how compassionless.

So how do you suggest horses get help? Say something in your comments that help so we aren't discussing the poor horses any more because they are all taken care of. I'm very aware of what has happened in this BB, too aware. I'm also aware of when it's no longer of interest.

If you want to criticize me for bringing up the subject, that's fine but let's just get the horses taken care of and I won't say another word. Don't you see the contrast in concern? You must. It's upsetting to me, knowing that there is such a need for so many OTTBs and other horses of all breeds or cross breds. I'm not going to get into other animals or people since this is a horse forum. BTW, I applaud the Jacksons for being great owners, they are wonderful and kind and I'm hoping and praying that Barbaro will pull through, absolutely and also have a great quality of life. I also applaud New Bolton and Dean Richardson and all of the staff, they're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry
    Susan, I have a lot of respect for you and your compassion is inspiring but I am slightly offended by this post. This BB has moved mountains to save many horses, so many have opened their hearts, farms and wallets.

What a shame to count how many views this thread has when the original thread to help had thousands.

[QUOTE=Susan P] I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need.

That is none of our business.

I have no clue who did what to help a horse but what I do see is rescues begging for help and I don't think they should be in that position.
    I agree. We are ALL aware of that.

Kristie (who is on the racing forum because of Barbaro.)
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Well isn't that what the Barbaro fund was for to begin with? Getting money to NB so they could help more horses?

Also it's tough to hear that you're having trouble getting care for those horses, but many here do quite a lot for lesser known TBs, as well as horses of all breeds, to get them sound and get them care.

I know "we're" (that bad "other board") gearing up for another charity auction for CANTER midatlantic to do just that- care for OTTBs that CANTER takes on who need to get off the track ASAP (some sound, some not) and also, in sad instances, pay for euthanization of those that just can't be helped.

I think the vast majority of people riveted to the Barbaro case are also quite likely to be doing other things to help other horses too. The whole "let's see if this thread gets as many views" thing sounds sort of bitter, but I'm not sure there's cause to be.

This board in particular has always amazed me- people will pull together over horses that no one's ever heard of before, getting them rescued, getting them rides, in some cases finding stolen horses and getting them home.

I think that in your heart what you want to do is draw attention to the other horses who need help- I think the best way to do it is not through posting here but by engaging people outside of the horse community who know NOTHING about these other situations. Several non-horse people at work have made donations to horse rescues because I talked with them about it during conversations about Barbaro- how awesome is that?

I think he's doing quite a lot to advance the cause of all OTTBs, even if it seems we're all obsessed by this one "star"
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

[quote=equinelaundry][quote=Susan P] I am referring to individuals who could help and while they may cry over Barbaro they may not have ever given a dime to help a horse in need.

That is none of our business.

They've made it our business when they publicly post, they are sharing their opinions here.

I think we all care about horses, with very few exceptions perhaps. But I'm trying to point out something, so if I come across in a way that some find offensive I have to tell you that it's troubling to hear people say how sad they are over Barbaro when I see how easy it is to save the others and yet a blind eye is turned to them. I am not, can not say that those who are sad over Barbaro are not sincere and not helping to save other horses, they may very well be, but there is currently many horses who need help, NOW and it is a lot simpler to help save thousands of horses with far less money. No need to send Barbaro gifts, he's going to get everything he needs because he has caring owners who can and do provide everything.

Aren't you also hurt knowing that there are so many horses in need? I think you are.

Local organizations would love the help. Do a bake sale and hand out information, anyone can do that.

I talk to everyone, horsey or not and tell them about horses in need. I got the local newspaper to write a story about them, it just came out yesterday. I bought 30 copies to hand out to people so they would be encouraged to help. It has information on how to help. I went to businesses to ask for help, I'm doing everything I can. I'm not just asking for help for the two that were at my farm, or even the rescue that helped them but that people would be aware of the need for horses, OTTBs and all. I help with dog rescue, took in feral cats that needed a home, get animals spayed and neutered, I'm trying not just talking. But I can only do so much, not nearly as much as rescue organizations do though, if I could do more I would. If you think of something else I can do to help let me know.

By the way, I've been offering my horses to lease for free after paying people to train them.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated
    Well isn't that what the Barbaro fund was for to begin with? Getting money to NB so they could help more horses?

Also it's tough to hear that you're having trouble getting care for those horses, but many here do quite a lot for lesser known TBs, as well as horses of all breeds, to get them sound and get them care.

I know "we're" (that bad "other board") gearing up for another charity auction for CANTER midatlantic to do just that- care for OTTBs that CANTER takes on who need to get off the track ASAP (some sound, some not) and also, in sad instances, pay for euthanization of those that just can't be helped.

I think the vast majority of people riveted to the Barbaro case are also quite likely to be doing other things to help other horses too. The whole "let's see if this thread gets as many views" thing sounds sort of bitter, but I'm not sure there's cause to be.

This board in particular has always amazed me- people will pull together over horses that no one's ever heard of before, getting them rescued, getting them rides, in some cases finding stolen horses and getting them home.

I think that in your heart what you want to do is draw attention to the other horses who need help- I think the best way to do it is not through posting here but by engaging people outside of the horse community who know NOTHING about these other situations. Several non-horse people at work have made donations to horse rescues because I talked with them about it during conversations about Barbaro- how awesome is that?

I think he's doing quite a lot to advance the cause of all OTTBs, even if it seems we're all obsessed by this one "star"
    The Barbaro Fund seems to be to raise money for New Bolton Center, but the rescues need it, they can save healthy horses. I understand New Bolton needs a fund too, they do get lots of endowments already.

Susan, you need a hug so here ya go....(((((HUG)))). I know the frustration you are feeling. I feel it every day. EVERYONE who is involved with rescue feels the frustration and feels the sorrow of not having enough money to save them all.

We cannot dictate what people do with their money, we just can't. If people want to send flowers rather than give to a rescue then it is their choice. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and we can't fault people who we think [/I]should[/I] be doing something but aren't. If guilt worked then there would be no suffering for humans or animals. Is it hard to digest this every day? Yep, in fact, it can gag ya and leave a sick feeling in the stomach but you press on.

I have lots of friends who have "money" and what they do with it is their own business. They are well aware of my work and if they want my opinion on how to spend it I'd surely give it to them but they don't.

You bet I am hurting over so many horses in need. I get up every day and try to change it. A quick check of my past posts would confirm that.
    Doing nothing is not an option for me.

Ponies are cool!

Wink

We are on the exact same page EL, hug you back ((((HUG)))). In no way do I disagree. I do want to raise attention to the contrast and perhaps if only one person is aware this is a time to do it. When someone in your family is suffering people become more sensitive and call me an opportunist but if I have a problem that gets attention, I can say, please look at others with this problem, they need help too. Sometimes people need a little poke to get them to see this. > < POKE, POKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaundry
    Susan, you need a hug so here ya go....(((((HUG)))). I know the frustration you are feeling. I feel it every day. EVERYONE who is involved with rescue feels the frustration and feels the sorrow of not having enough money to save them all.

We cannot dictate what people do with their money, we just can't. If people want to send flowers rather than give to a rescue then it is their choice. There is absolutely nothing we can do about it and we can't fault people who we think [/i]should[/i] be doing something but aren't. If guilt worked then there would be no suffering for humans or animals. Is it hard to digest this every day? Yep, in fact, it can gag ya and leave a sick feeling in the stomach but you press on.

I have lots of friends who have "money" and what they do with it is their own business. They are well aware of my work and if they want my opinion on how to spend it I'd surely give it to them but they don't.

You bet I am hurting over so many horses in need. I get up every day and try to change it. A quick check of my past posts would confirm that.
    Doing nothing is not an option for me.

Default same here...

I think the problem is that you are "preaching to the choir" here - most of us on this board DO give to rescues or have rescued a horse or horses too... I think it's great to bring attention to the disparity between the media frenzy over Barbaro and the quiet suffering of many horses (and recuses!), but I think most people on this board are aware of that and already give... Anyway, we just need to keep soldiering on and try to educate where we can. i DO thing that great strides are being made to bring attention to the plight of racing TBs and to urge greater responsibility and support withing the racing community as well as from outside interests. As an owner, I know that I've always followed and cared for my horses and have a full plate as far as donating and caring for my horses...

I agree that sometimes people jump on the bandwagon when it involved someone or something newsworty not thinking there are lesser known situations which are as or more needy. It's up to us as horsewomen and men to make the public aware of the plight of other horses who are not fortunate enough to be at big vet hospitals with owners who have plenty of funds. That does not in any way infer that the support to NB is not a great thing, and thank God Barbaro's owners can afford to try everything to save him AND that the team of doctors is so qualified and caring.
    I do what I can for unwanted OTTBs by purchasing and reschooling them for new careers. I've kept three and who knows, any I buy might end up with me for life! I'm not wealthy, and don't send donations often, but I do my part in the ways I can. I've also offered on this board to take horses from kill sales (like New Holland) if we can find a way to get them here. I can adopt, but am too far away to pick up.
    That said, I hope SusanP can get some help on the vet bills for Nate and Kelly. She was so instrumental in saving their lives and my hat's off to her for her unselfishness.
    "While people are arguing over whether the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just gonna drink it and be thankful." - Cowboy

Track to Trimac Thoroughbreds on Facebook!!!

I wish I could agree with you, though I believe the members of this BB are overwhelmingly horse lovers, too often their view is myopic. I'm trying to broaden their vision to see the need outside of their own. A lady said, "I have my own vet bills." A donation jar right in front of her and she could have dropped in $1 and said nothing but instead she pointed out how selfish she was. Doesn't she think we all have vet bills? I owe NB money now and will pay them but in the mean time I squeeze out what help I can for other horses, I am going to pay them but they can wait another week. I have been suddenly besieged in bills but am swimming out of them soon. I appreciate the patience they've shown and I haven't forgotten them. I don't ask for help for me, I ask it for horses that have no one that loves them or takes responsibility for them and are now taken in by rescues.

Who is a rescue, shouldn't it be us? A few people can't do it without help, we need to get more people on board. Not everyone on this BB contributes or is even aware of the need. It always shocks me when people are selfish but just because you love horses and the sport of horses doesn't mean you will help or are aware of the need in the first place. The awareness campaign IS what is making the biggest difference to help horses, let's not stop that. $1,000 mint juleps got in the news big time and they sold every one. Now we can wait for the next "cause du jour".

Wait, this sounds like I think the people in this BB are selfish, sorry, not the case at all, don't mean that, please don't read this into that. But I mean to say there is a need for awareness but there are SOME people who don't realize the need while yet there are others who don't think they need to leave their own backyard and reach out to others. I hope that sounds better, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by witherbee
    I think the problem is that you are "preaching to the choir" here - most of us on this board DO give to rescues or have rescued a horse or horses too... I think it's great to bring attention to the disparity between the media frenzy over Barbaro and the quiet suffering of many horses (and recuses!), but I think most people on this board are aware of that and already give... Anyway, we just need to keep soldiering on and try to educate where we can. i DO thing that great strides are being made to bring attention to the plight of racing TBs and to urge greater responsibility and support withing the racing community as well as from outside interests. As an owner, I know that I've always followed and cared for my horses and have a full plate as far as donating and caring for my horses...

Susan - I do feel your frustration and want to help, but please remember that just because people do not give to YOUR organization doesn't mean they are not doing their share. At my small barn, there are three of us who have "rescued" OTTB's and spent thousands of of our dollars that we could barely afford to rehabilitate them. One woman has three rehabs. Maybe if you met her and she didn't you give you money you would assume she didn't want to help, but she is doing more than many of the rescues and has never asked for help or gotten any credit.

I also think the money going to the Barbaro Fund helps all horses, both in advancing research and in allowing NBC to be very flexible in the way they bill people.

I need to correct you, I don't have an organization, I help any individual or organization that I think is doing a great job and if they need my help provided I am able.

Again, please remember that I do not have nor am I a member of any organization, I am just an individual, speaking only for my opinion, not for any organiztion.

I needed to clarify that so as not to implicate any group or organization in my comments, it's all on me what I've said. If you don't agree, please don't blame anyone else. I hope that's understood. The only people I don't mind offending is selfish people, not people who help or do what they can. I don't limit that to horses or animals. I just think that all humans are morally obligated to be their brother's keeper when their brother is in need or suffering, not because they are too lazy to help themselves. Remember this is a forum and I'm expressing MY opinion, I understand others don't and won't agree with me. I may not phrase things correctly so I'm hoping to be understood, so if I say it twice it's because I want to be understood accurately, without hearing my voice and watching me, I may come across in a way I do not intend as I've seen reactions to my comments before that were misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoilsport
    Susan - I do feel your frustration and want to help, but please remember that just because people do not give to YOUR organization doesn't mean they are not doing their share. At my small barn, there are three of us who have "rescued" OTTB's and spent thousands of of our dollars that we could barely afford to rehabilitate them. One woman has three rehabs. Maybe if you met her and she didn't you give you money you would assume she didn't want to help, but she is doing more than many of the rescues and has never asked for help or gotten any credit.

I also think the money going to the Barbaro Fund helps all horses, both in advancing research and in allowing NBC to be very flexible in the way they bill people.