The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper
    I usually agree with your comment about everyone always telling people to leave. Maybe I'm not picky enough, or maybe there aren't a dozen wonderful barns around me just dying to have me board there, but it would take a hell of a lot to make by uproot my horse and move. However, in this case, IF all that the poster says is true, moving seems like the only option. I am taking everything she says at face value.

If her trainer won't give her more than 1 lesson a week, what can she do? She is not in a position where simply riding more and getting time in the saddle would help her. If you have the basics, then yes, riding out of lessons will help, but it really doens't seem like this is the case.

Thank You! When your a beginner it is a) easier to uproot and in this OP's situation it is what she needs to become a better rider.

to get my one practice ride a week i have to have a safe seat and be able to tack up on my own which i know if i really tried i could do. my seat has gotten so much better from just that one lesson one the vineyard. i have been working incrediblely hard and i make subtle hints that i really really want to ride more. i have not gotten the OK yet for my practice rides but i have been waiting since i started working and still have not gotten them. i cannot imagine leaving my barn.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbuea
    to get my one practice ride a week i have to have a safe seat and be able to tack up on my own which i know if i really tried i could do.
    So go and show your trainer that you can do it. Make SURE you can do it. Practice with a friend who can do it.

my seat has gotten so much better from just that one lesson one the vineyard.
    See, you need to get her to work you harder!

i have been working incrediblely hard and i make subtle hints that i really really want to ride more.
    don't be subtle

i have not gotten the OK yet for my practice rides but i have been waiting since i started working and still have not gotten them.
    Be vocal. Say you want your rides. Maybe you can trade in 2 or 3 of the rides you're NOT getting for a supervised ride of some kind. Be proactive or you'll never get any better!

i cannot imagine leaving my barn.
    So then get riding, girl!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

my mom already talked to my trainer she said what i said in the above post i made. on fridays is when i want to ride but i never get the chance to practice tacking up b/c no one gives me permisson to.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

hoping it works out for you - good luck!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

my mom already talked to my trainer she said what i said in the above post i made. on fridays is when i want to ride but i never get the chance to practice tacking up b/c no one gives me permisson to.

iheartbuea

Be more assertive to what you want. It sounds like they are walking all over you. If you want to work great, but you were promised lessons in return. Even if they can't be riding have ground lesson, learning to lunge, tack up, wrap what not.

I think we are just confused that you are planning to half lease a horse but that your instructor does not yet feel you are experienced enough to tack up or ride by yourself.

I hope you find a solution that is beneficial to you.
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Quote Originally Posted by tullio
    I think we are just confused that you are planning to half lease a horse but that your instructor does not yet feel you are experienced enough to tack up or ride by yourself.

I hope you find a solution that is beneficial to you.

Yep! My trainer would NEVER allow a student to lease if they don't know their basics yet, especially tacking up, and wrapping.

i'm going to the barn tommorow and i want to ride, how do you think i should tell my trainer without being mean but being accertive? the horse i ride in lessons is being leased out so the girl who leases him gets to ride him on fridays and whenever she wants. there is another schoolie i can ride. if i don't practice how to tack up by myself and ride by myself i will never learn how to to it, i have not had the chance to practice the skills needed to ride by one's self yet.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Exactly. Half-leasing a horse that you already ride in lessons should be because you are ready to ride outside of lessons. If you're half-leasing the horse just to take your regular weekly lesson, that just means you're paying an extra $150/month for no reason.

i can't half-lease the horse i ride in lessons, he's already being leased out. i can really only ride him once a week since he's being leased but there is another schoolie i can ride on fridays.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Interesting, opposite situation at my barn recently. A kid wants to lease, is prepared to shell out the money, but my trainer insists this kid instead rides in an additional lesson a week if he wants to spend more money at the barn. The kid is a pretty good rider, too (w/t/c/probably advanced beginner or intermediate jumping) but only rides once a week.

OP: I'm all for you one day leasing a horse (but maybe not right now), but in the meantime, DEMAND that the ride you have coming to you is instead a time in which you can practice tacking up, if that is the hurdle preventing you from getting to ride outside of lessons. Otherwise, perhaps you should be getting some other form of compensation ($$...) for your labor. "Working student" does not mean the same thing as "slave", despite the similarities in workload.

You're a loyal customer, clearly. It doesn't make sense to me why your trainer would disregard the opportunity to groom and educate a new rider who clearly wants to spend money and time at the farm!

I'm curious: what parts of tacking up do you struggle with? Are you more or less there, you just need someone to double check you, or are you still not always putting it on correctly the first try? If you need more practice, why not, when you're there at the time of a lesson for a person more experienced than you, ask if you can help them tack up. This way you get the time you need, plus with someone else there (who has to be there anyway...) watching you, they can help you figure it out better.

Good luck!

i can put on the bridle most of the time and the saddle i can most of the time put it on right, i just need someone to double check to make sure i did it right. for me to practice ride i need to have a safe seat which has now pretty much there and i have to be able to tack up on my own. i can do but i really need someone to double check to make sure it's right.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

i can put on the bridle most of the time and the saddle i can most of the time put it on right, i just need someone to double check to make sure i did it right. for me to practice ride i need to have a safe seat which has now pretty much there and i have to be able to tack up on my own. i can do but i really need someone to double check to make sure it's right.

iheartbuea

So Let me get this straight...Your grandparents are going to pay 150 a month so you can ride the same horse every week in your lesson which you also have to pay for? What a rip off! Since you can't ride on your own yet since your trainer won't let you why are you leasing a horse?

You might be really excited, but for the people on here that are trainers or riders who like myself ride by myself most of the time, we all see that this is for you right now at this stage of riding a disaster in the waiting.

Honestly WAIT...wait until you are comfortable and have learned some more it will make your lease more enjoyable.

i would NOT lease Luke ( the horse i ride in lessons), i would half-lease another schoolie. as for my practice ride i would ride another schoolie. luke is already being fully leased out.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

yeah, i understand that you are excited and want to lease, but based on what you have said you are really ,really not ready. no one is putting you down for not being experienced, everyone was there once! its just that BASED on the info you've given, it sounds like a baad idea. it also sounds like your working alot and not getting enough in return! i would definitly speak up and BE assertive, but not mean about it. and i really cant believe that your trainer would give the OK to lease, since she hasnt given you the practice rides, b/c you said you needed a "safe seat", SO based on that, your trainer DOSNT think you are ready to practice ride, so i dont get why she would let you lease when you would be riding on your own, when your not even doing that yet?

i can't do practice rides yet and i feel ready to do practice rides but i have not been given the chance to prove that i can practice ride.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

having trouble editing, i have not been given the chance to prove that i can practice ride

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

sorry about that i thought the post did not end up edidting

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Do you notice a trend here??? I do.....Most of the people think this is a badddd idea!

From what you have told us you are NOT ready to lease a horse, and that your trainer is allowing this is horrible, she should realize that your not strong enough yet for a leased horse