The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    nmo91 Guest

I currently half lease and I am really enjoying the experience. I couldn't have asked for a better horse either. I really hope this works out for you! Half leasing is a real oppourtunity to build a strong bond between you and your horse, which is something you don't get from weekly lessons.

thanks everyone, i will keep everyone posted and post pics. of the horse if i get to half-lease

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

I have leased many horses and ridden my friends horses for them and have finally bitten the bullet. About time most of my horse friends should say

Meet the bitten bullet--named Tater in my profile.
    Tater-my Western Sport Horse
    http://www.clipshack.com/5539

i won't own a horse anytimes soon, my rents won't take the plunge yet

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Breaking out the alter ego for this one...

It's your choice, but I really think that the $150 a month could be better spent at this point in your riding career on some more intensive lessons, maybe even at another barn (since your trainer doesn't have time to teach you more than once a week.) You've been taking lessons on the lunge line, so how are you going to ride this horse by yourself?

There is plenty of time to lease later on. Leasing is a situation more appropriate to someone who can self sufficiently do the things needed for horse care, and can ride the horse by themselves. Taking more lessons, maybe with a trainer who will push you harder to learn the things needed to ride and control a horse by yourself, will get you to the point where leasing is beneficial faster than leasing one now will.

There will still be horses to lease later on, and I think you'll get more enjoyment out of a leased horse when you can do things like go on trail rides, or jump little jumps, or ride bareback.

It would DEFINITELY be too soon to buy a horse at this point. There's so much to learn from lessons and school horses, and you're still at the stage where having a person on the ground is really really helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous
    Breaking out the alter ego for this one...

It's your choice, but I really think that the $150 a month could be better spent at this point in your riding career on some more intensive lessons, maybe even at another barn (since your trainer doesn't have time to teach you more than once a week.) You've been taking lessons on the lunge line, so how are you going to ride this horse by yourself?

There is plenty of time to lease later on. Leasing is a situation more appropriate to someone who can self sufficiently do the things needed for horse care, and can ride the horse by themselves. Taking more lessons, maybe with a trainer who will push you harder to learn the things needed to ride and control a horse by yourself, will get you to the point where leasing is beneficial faster than leasing one now will.

There will still be horses to lease later on, and I think you'll get more enjoyment out of a leased horse when you can do things like go on trail rides, or jump little jumps, or ride bareback.

It would DEFINITELY be too soon to buy a horse at this point. There's so much to learn from lessons and school horses, and you're still at the stage where having a person on the ground is really really helpful.
    Thank You I totally Agree with you!

From what I have read this poster is a beginner with only a handful of lessons under her belt. I am right now leasing my first horse after 11 years of riding. Now granted I know people who have bought a horses after only a few months of riding but A) they are rich b) the rider was taking 4 lessons a week.

Honestly I think it is crazy for you to have your grandparents spend that money when you sound like your not ready for a horse.

Plus what happens with the medical bills? The horse is 24 there will be medical bills. Who's paying those? Whose saddle are you going to use?

I too think it's WAY to soon to lease a horse because you won't enjoy it. But if you want your grandparents to waste their money go ahead.

if i did half-lease royal i would use the tack the owner has and we would figure out about medical bills. my trainer would not let me take lessons at another stable and right now i'm only riding 1 day a week, at my barn if you want to ride more you have to half-lease or lease a horse, i need to learn how to do these things myself and at first someone will check everything but i can learn, i know i need to become more independent in my riding. i really really want to ride more and the two options right now are A) continung riding for 1 day a week ( which i don't want to do) or B) ride a lot more not just in lesssons but in practice rides by half-leasing

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbuea
    if i did half-lease royal i would use the tack the owner has and we would figure out about medical bills. my trainer would not let me take lessons at another stable and right now i'm only riding 1 day a week, at my barn if you want to ride more you have to half-lease or lease a horse, i need to learn how to do these things myself and at first someone will check everything but i can learn, i know i need to become more independent in my riding. i really really want to ride more and the two options right now are A) continung riding for 1 day a week ( which i don't want to do) or B) ride a lot more not just in lesssons but in practice rides by half-leasing

iheartbuea

We were saying change trainers/barns totally. Don't ask your trainer if you can take lessons elsewhere...Do It.

I rode once a week for about 3 years getting my basics, after my lessons I would sit and watch other lessons to get information which I would use during my next lesson. In the summers I would work/volunteer at my barn in exchange for more lessons. This has allowed me to move to a show barn and compete. I'm now in college double majoring in equine studies, and business. I ride on two equestrian teams and am very successful in the show ring.

So riding once a week is not a bad thing, it's something to deal with. I think your trainer is crazy to let you lease right now if your still on a lunge line.

Quote Originally Posted by SmplySweet1021
    We were saying change trainers/barns totally. Don't ask your trainer if you can take lessons elsewhere...Do It.

I rode once a week for about 3 years getting my basics, after my lessons I would sit and watch other lessons to get information which I would use during my next lesson. In the summers I would work/volunteer at my barn in exchange for more lessons. This has allowed me to move to a show barn and compete. I'm now in college double majoring in equine studies, and business. I ride on two equestrian teams and am very successful in the show ring.

So riding once a week is not a bad thing, it's something to deal with. I think your trainer is crazy to let you lease right now if your still on a lunge line.

my thoughts exactly. i also rode once a week for years just getting the basics down, its just what a lot of beginners do, and then work up to riding more. my trainer( or parents) would never have let me lease or half lease when i was at your stage. but its your grandparents, your money, so your choice

If she feels she's ready to half-lease this horse, and her parents/grandparents are for it, then I don't see the problem with them at least trying. It even sounds like the perfect old schoolie for her to learn on.

What DOES sound somewhat problematic that she hasn't ridden alone at all yet, much less ridden off of the lunge line. Which leads me to the conclusion that she'd only be able to ride her 1/2 leased horse in her once-a-week lesson.

iheartbeau, have you thought about this fact? Are you ok with only riding Royal in your weekly lesson, despite the fact that you're paying plenty of money for him?

COME ON, people! Shoving your opinions at her is not what the OP wants! She never once asked "should I?" and not one of us knows enough about her situation to be so adamant about it. The horse she "might lease" may well be a walk-only, broke-to-death retiree who'd be perfect as a teacher for her! I learned so much from my first horse, after being a once-a-week lesson taker - how to totally care for him, tack up and untack, bathe, groom and even developed a great seat from learning to ride bareback with a halter. So don't be so quick to tell her what she "should not" do, because we don't know the details of the situation other than the little she has told us here. Kindness and encouragement are really all she wants, not put-downs.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

thank you moonriverfarm for standing for for me. i can't change barns, i'm a working student and yes i can and have ridden plently of times off the lunge line. as a working student you are supposed to get 1 lesson a week and 1 practice day a week but i'm still not getting the 1 practice day. moonriverfarm is right no offence but you guys don't know my situitation. i can w/t on royal, and i will learn how to trot him around in the arena off the lunge line. i can learn how to do these things and i really don't need people telling what i should and should not do.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Moonriver -

At the risk of starting a major battle, I think making repeated posts on a 'discussion' forum is going to invite 'discussion' of the posts.

While the occasional "cheer me on please" post seems to be met quite favorably here, if that is the only sort one ever submits, people are going to think outside the box and offer their opinions and well-intentioned advice as well.

I think since most (no, not all - there have been some snarks) replies to this poster have been a mix of 'advice from those who have been there' and encouragement to pursue the sport in a educated and economical way, that's really the purpose of the board and just as acceptable... Even if the OP only wants cheerleading.

(Or perhaps I am just jealous because other people have learned how to become visible, and I am still pointedly invisible. You never know.)
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm
    COME ON, people! Shoving your opinions at her is not what the OP wants! She never once asked "should I?" and not one of us knows enough about her situation to be so adamant about it. The horse she "might lease" may well be a walk-only, broke-to-death retiree who'd be perfect as a teacher for her! I learned so much from my first horse, after being a once-a-week lesson taker - how to totally care for him, tack up and untack, bathe, groom and even developed a great seat from learning to ride bareback with a halter. So don't be so quick to tell her what she "should not" do, because we don't know the details of the situation other than the little she has told us here. Kindness and encouragement are really all she wants, not put-downs.

I learned all what I know about horses and grooming from NEVER owning or leasing a horse. I helped out at the barn and learned all of that without spending a dime. My one lesson a week taught me the rest.

I'm not going to sugar coat things and give encouragment when what I think she's doing is a waste of money. Learn to get off the lunge line and learn how to take care of a horse from the schoolie's before leasing.

The only reason I am leasing Bobo this summer is because last year was traumatic for me. I was kicked by a horse during a horse show and tore two ligaments in my knee, I had reconstructive knee surgery. No riding for 6+ months. My parents felt terrible that I was couped up and depressed from not being able to do anything. They paid the summer lease of $200, yes I am leasing Bobo from my college for a total for the entire summer of 200. I work my butt off at an equine hospital to pay board at my friends farm, and to pay for my own lessons, and own shows.

To the OP: I think you are wasting money which is what you can actually learn for free.

Quote Originally Posted by tullio
    Moonriver -

At the risk of starting a major battle, I think making repeated posts on a 'discussion' forum is going to invite 'discussion' of the posts.

While the occasional "cheer me on please" post seems to be met quite favorably here, if that is the only sort one ever submits, people are going to think outside the box and offer their opinions and well-intentioned advice as well.

I think since most (no, not all - there have been some snarks) replies to this poster have been a mix of 'advice from those who have been there' and encouragement to pursue the sport in a educated and economical way, that's really the purpose of the board and just as acceptable... Even if the OP only wants cheerleading.

(Or perhaps I am just jealous because other people have learned how to become visible, and I am still pointedly invisible. You never know.)
    Well said! This is a discussion board. Things will be discussed. If all you want is people to agree with you (or tell you your ponies are "cute" ala Benlea) then you will be disappointed when people give their opinions.

It is true, as others said, that it is this girl's decision and her family's money. However, many of us have been there and done that, and most of us would agree (even if we're not saying it) that an extra $150 a month could be better spent on more riding lessons with instruction rather than on paying to walk around on a horse.

Seriously, though, if your instructor will/can only teach you once a week and you want more, you need to find a new place. The fact that you are a working student is irrelevant, if you WANT to ride more and you CAN'T, wouldn't you want to find a place where you could? Remeber how you said that after one lesson at Arrowhead when the instructor was tough with you, that you felt so much more confident about your riding?

You should heave a heart to heart with your current trainer and tell her that you really want to take more than one lesson a week. If she can't accomidate you, then maybe you should look for a place that will.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Don't worry, tullio...we invisibles CHOOSE whether or not we remain that way and no one can change that!!!!
    All I was saying is the OP is simply sharing something she is excited about, and perhaps responses could be either encouraging, or absent, since she didn't post asking for advice. If she had wanted opinions, by all means I'd say she had to take her licks. But she is obviously in need of some positive attention; can't we indulge her, or ignore her?
    Just my humble invisible opinion here.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmplySweet1021
    I learned all what I know about horses and grooming from NEVER owning or leasing a horse. I helped out at the barn and learned all of that without spending a dime. My one lesson a week taught me the rest.

I'm not going to sugar coat things and give encouragment when what I think she's doing is a waste of money. Learn to get off the lunge line and learn how to take care of a horse from the schoolie's before leasing.

The only reason I am leasing Bobo this summer is because last year was traumatic for me. I was kicked by a horse during a horse show and tore two ligaments in my knee, I had reconstructive knee surgery. No riding for 6+ months. My parents felt terrible that I was couped up and depressed from not being able to do anything. They paid the summer lease of $200, yes I am leasing Bobo from my college for a total for the entire summer of 200. I work my butt off at an equine hospital to pay board at my friends farm, and to pay for my own lessons, and own shows.

To the OP: I think you are wasting money which is what you can actually learn for free.
    thank you, thank you. that money could be MUCH better spent on lessons, that could prepare you to lease later on. sorry, if you cant trot off of a lunge line, i really dont think you are ready for leasing, and $150/month is a lotttttttt of money to just be walking around. i really really think you need to talk to your trainer also, because you said you are supposed to get a "practice" ride each week for being a working student, and you arnt getting it, that seems pretty unfair if you are out there working and not getting what your supposed too!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbuea
    i can't change barns, i'm a working student and yes i can and have ridden plently of times off the lunge line. as a working student you are supposed to get 1 lesson a week and 1 practice day a week but i'm still not getting the 1 practice day.
    This is where I would complain. If you are a working student and you are to have one lesson a week and one practice day a week and you aren't getting the practice ride, then you need to sit down with the trainer (or whomever you "report" to) and politely state that you aren't getting your practice ride. And what can be done about that.

Now, ** Zipping up flame suit ** ...

I just love it on this board where the answer for every question or problem (even if not solicited) is... LEAVE. Leave the trainer, Leave the barn, Leave the area, etc. etc. etc.

Boy, I'd get dizzy and confused if I kept moving all the time. No place is perfect... and not all of us have alot of options of places to go where we can board and receive lessons. I can't afford to board one place and take lessons elsewhere because I can't haul out (no truck or trailer and can't afford one). And Hunter/Jumper trainers are not in abundance where I live (at least not in my area).

So sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

iheartb : this is a decision that you, your trainer, your grandparents and parents need to make together. I've never seen you ride, etc. so I can't judge if you are ready for a 1/2 lease or not. But hopefully your trainer can.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212
    This is where I would complain. If you are a working student and you are to have one lesson a week and one practice day a week and you aren't getting the practice ride, then you need to sit down with the trainer (or whomever you "report" to) and politely state that you aren't getting your practice ride. And what can be done about that.

Now, ** Zipping up flame suit ** ...

I just love it on this board where the answer for every question or problem (even if not solicited) is... LEAVE. Leave the trainer, Leave the barn, Leave the area, etc. etc. etc.

Boy, I'd get dizzy and confused if I kept moving all the time. No place is perfect... and not all of us have alot of options of places to go where we can board and receive lessons. I can't afford to board one place and take lessons elsewhere because I can't haul out (no truck or trailer and can't afford one). And Hunter/Jumper trainers are not in abundance where I live (at least not in my area).

So sometimes you have to make due with what you have.

iheartb : this is a decision that you, your trainer, your grandparents and parents need to make together. I've never seen you ride, etc. so I can't judge if you are ready for a 1/2 lease or not. But hopefully your trainer can.
    I usually agree with your comment about everyone always telling people to leave. Maybe I'm not picky enough, or maybe there aren't a dozen wonderful barns around me just dying to have me board there, but it would take a hell of a lot to make by uproot my horse and move. However, in this case, IF all that the poster says is true, moving seems like the only option. I am taking everything she says at face value.

If her trainer won't give her more than 1 lesson a week, what can she do? She is not in a position where simply riding more and getting time in the saddle would help her. If you have the basics, then yes, riding out of lessons will help, but it really doens't seem like this is the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper
    However, in this case, IF all that the poster says is true, moving seems like the only option. I am taking everything she says at face value.

If her trainer won't give her more than 1 lesson a week, what can she do? She is not in a position where simply riding more and getting time in the saddle would help her. If you have the basics, then yes, riding out of lessons will help, but it really doens't seem like this is the case.
    Good point... but she did say she was a working student and that she should get one lesson a week and one practice ride a week. I would first sit down and talk to whomever is in charge first about not getting what she is supposed to. I think if she gets that extra ride a week, then a 1/2 lease isn't necessary. At least give them a chance to "make good".

If they won't work with her on that... then yes, I'd give my notice (assume you need to do that if you are a working student) and look elsewhere.

I haven't paid much attention to other posts that give in detail her riding experience, etc. So I don't know what she is capable of doing on her own.

I was only back riding for 4 months (after 15 years off) before I bought my first horse (not first ever, but first after long break).

Now mind you, I did ride a lot as a kid and had a horse before. And I was pretty rusty. Though I could walk/trot and mostly canter by myself. May not have been perfect... Then sold said horse and bought a different one (much better fit). Who has been laid up for almost 4 months now. Been riding schoolies.... twice a week in lessons.

But again, I can make those decisions on my own as I'm an adult. And it's my money.