The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Question I MIGHT Be Half- Leaseing a horse

i MIGHT be half-leasing a horse soon, my mom has to talk to my trainer to get all the specifics. right now i'm only riding 1 day a week and i want to ride more. my awesome grandparents have offered to pay the $150.00 a month fee, i am thrilled and very very very grateful that they have offred to pay the fee. it is not a definate no or yes right now. on friday i will ask my trainer. has any ever half-leased before? did you like it?

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

How exciting!!! I am crossing my fingers for you that it all works out!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

thank you, i would truly be on cloud nine if i could half-lease. i will let you guys if it's a yes or no as soon as we make the decicion. i really really really really really want to half-lease.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

How exciting..... tell us about the horse.

i'm not sure what horse i would half-lease but i have the perfect horse in mind, his name is royal and he used to do 3 day eventing and he is 24 and perfect horse for me, i have to ask my trainer what horse i would half-lease though.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Hope it works out for you!
    Jen Evans & DaBear

thank you

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbuea
    i'm not sure what horse i would half-lease but i have the perfect horse in mind, his name is royal and he used to do 3 day eventing and he is 24 and perfect horse for me, i have to ask my trainer what horse i would half-lease though.

iheartbuea
    Have you been riding Royal in your lessons?

I'm currently riding a 24 yo TB while my horse is hurt. He's been the best for me and has taught me alot. Very been there, done that kind of guy but you do have to ride him.

Here's a pic of us at my first rated show this past week/weekend.

Best of luck... hope it works out. Crossing fingers for you.
    Last edited by LSM1212; Jun. 4, 2007 at 12:34 PM.

thanks, i have ridden royal a couple of times and we are a good fit, another girl at my barn used to ride him all the time so i could not really ride him but then now she is leasing another horse and royal is not getting ridden. he is a awesome horse.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

It all sounds great.... keep us posted.

Gotta love the "oldies" that can teach us a thing or two.

i will keep you guys posted.

ihearbuea
    iheartbuea

You will love half leasing! The extra riding time helps you improve so much as a rider, and it is nice to really develop a relationship with a particular horse. Another thing you might want to consider if your grandparents would agree, since you are a relatively new rider, would be to take a second lesson each week instead of a half lease for a few months. I have done both of these things at various times in my riding, and both of them help me improve tremendously. You can never go wrong with more time on a horse!

during the summer i only get to ride once a week right now but during the school year i take a horseback riding class and i get 1 group lesson from that and i will probably take 1 private lesson on top of half-leasing.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

my trainer cannot give me 2 lessons a week during the summer, she's too busy and the other trainer/bm can't b/c she also gives lessons and has to run the barn.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

It sounds like you will have a great time half leasing. Hope everything works out that you will get to lease Royal!

thanks, i would love to half-lease any horse at my barn but i love royal escepally

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

you'll have to change your username

Default leasing is great

iheartbuea --

I've been half leasing different horses for a year and a half at the farm I ride at, and I have learned so much more than when I was just taking a couple lessons a week. It's not just riding, it's care and feeding, cleaning tack, making sure that when horse is tacked up everything fits properly, etc. And being able to just hack on your own is a big confidence builder, as well as being enjoyable. Getting to bond a little with your lease horse is quite fun too. A lot of lesson horses are much happier if they have a person who is sort of theirs. Enjoy it.

My unsolicited advice on leasing is to always do your best to be the best possible leasor. Ask the horse's owner if there is any particular care items that they want you to do, like supplements, a bath, or putting stuff on their hooves, etc. Be mindful of caring for the horse's tack, put things away clean, and just generally make an extra effort, and you will have a good relationship with the owner, which will make life at the barn pleasant for everyone.

We will of course want to see pics of Royal.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

That's so exciting. Just a warning though--once you go beyond one lesson a week you'll never be able to stop. You're on a slippery slope to horse ownership.

I've half-leased two horses before--one a pony when I was a child, which led to us buying a horse, and one a horse about a year ago. Now we've decided that once our financial situation is stable (so to speak) we'll buy our own.

Hope it all works out for you!

Congrats! I echo what Lori B and mayhew said. It made a huge difference in my riding (confidence wise, knowledge, etc) when I went from riding one day a week to 3 sometimes more. It was great to go out whenever I wanted on those days and work on what I wanted, even if it was just hacking out on a nice evening.

It's definitely addicting, and you get used to riding that much (I agree you are on a slippery slope to horse ownership ). I did my best to treat the horses as they were my own (and in a sense they are for the time I am with them). It was good to hear that their owner even said (jokingly) that she didn't want me to get my own horse because she wanted to keep me leasing theirs since I took such great care of him.

Keep us posted and definitely get pictures.