The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default CBER?

So I received an email from CBER saying that they are temporarily closing boards and seems like stuff is going down...anyone know what's actually going on. This is a very hard working group, doing alot of good to save alot of horses. The horses need CBER.

From poking around this morning, CBER is putting up a brand new website (it's still in beta testing but it appears to be almost there).

http://cberhorses.com/DEF-Home.asp

The message board, though, states that it is down and only open to staff.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Default Two Things-

-they are dealing with a situation with an abusive/neglectful adopter who had a number of CBER horses on her farm; some were her own adoptions, others were given her through GAs, and others were there for Quarantine or boarding.

-they are also dealing with a disease that has run rampant and unchecked on the lot for weeks. They say their vet can not identify this malady and it has killed 3 of CBERs sale horses in the past week, and who knows how many of the ones they do not care for (the 'no-hopers') I am under the impression that the state vet has been notified. I would think that something that is that virulent would need to be quarantined and managed before CBER could sell any more horses, particularly since they sell out of state frequently.

I'm so sorry to hear this. Especially about the abusive adopter. I invoke the Violent Diarrhea curse upon that person!

AF: If you have contact with the powers that be, let them know we'll be jingling over the whole situation.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

The powers that be seem to be in hiding.

CBER is currently being investigated by PETA, The State Attorney Generals Office, the Dept of Agriculture and other state/government agencies for withholding information, shipping a horse with a 103 temp to California and lying on their Charity tax forms.

Unhappy

They are not in hiding and in fact the directors and board members saved a good many horses from a bad death this week. But they have other more important issues to deal with and that doesn't include monitoring the bulletin board which is a full time job in itself. The law will deal with the abuser, the CBER horses have been retrieved and are in good foster homes.

Dealer lots and auction houses (where most of the dealer horses come from) are like animal shelters, always hotbeds of brewing illnesses because they collect unvaccinated horses of dubious health from all over a large area and shove them together in very stressful and confined situations which is the recipe for catching any number of nasty bugs. Bugs most healthy horses would shrug off with one sniffle or sneeze.

Any animal rescue that gets animals from auctions or shelters knows they will have to deal with illnesses. Recent examples on this right here were nate and Kelly bringing Susan P. the lovely gift of strangles and quarantine and poor Honor Boy who died on his way to his happy new home. The first place a new or more virulent bug will pop up is a place with a lot of horses crowded together, coming and going and stressed out (i.e. racetracks, large show barns and dealer lots). It would be nice if all horse owners would feed their horses well, vaccinate them regularly and not dump them at low end auctions. But oh well, if wishes were horses I'd still be up to my neck in s**t!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizazz
    CBER is currently being investigated by PETA, The State Attorney Generals Office, the Dept of Agriculture and other state/government agencies for withholding information, shipping a horse with a 103 temp to California and lying on their Charity tax forms.
    I hope you have a good lawyer! 8-D And you know this how? Your proof? PETA can't investigate anything officially. CBER doesn't ship horses, owners do.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I think a lot of folks got very disillusioned when they found out that the so-called feedlot was really not a registered feedlot but just a horse trader who also sells to the slaughterhouse, plus everyone thought they were saving horses but the guy was still shipping at least as as many to slaughter as he ever had. Some people realized he was buying his canner/no hopers with the money provided by donators. And now with the disease and abuse CBER is having to rethink their policies. Some people felt that they were just a marketing arm for the horse trader and making 150.00 commision from each sale. It all kinda caught up with them.

I used to be one of their biggest defenders, but now that I see how they have handled the situation with the abusive adopter, I have to admit that their detractors were right. If you don't follow up and ensure horses are safe and well cared for, and take action immediately if you find out they are not, you're not really a rescue - you're just the marketing department for a horse dealer.

I am loathe to let this thread be populated by posts that are merely guessing at the reason the bulletin board has been closed.

A few posters on this thread have been asked to leave CBER for various reasons and have absolutely no authority to speak to anything related to CBER. Any questions you have related to the closure of the BB may be emailed to CBER itself. Their email address is available on their website.

Thank you.
    DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!!! - God

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse
    I hope you have a good lawyer! 8-D And you know this how? Your proof? PETA can't investigate anything officially. CBER doesn't ship horses, owners do.
    I need a good lawyer for what? I post the truth. Its all documented. Take the time and call the AG office and Dept of Agri state vet. they dont lie.

Im not the one posing as a rescue. And I know for a fact Chuck buys horses for 50 to 100.00 dollars. CBER claimed he paid 200.00 They lie about everything

His business isnt regulated by the USDA because it isnt a FEEDLOT. Its a buy/sell/trade place.

CBER doesnt ship horses? The owners do? Who loaded the sick mare from Sams place to be sent to California? Good lord. so you are blaming the poor souls who adopted these animals and 1/2 ended up dead, Dynasty? What about Rosalinda? She arrived in CA with a 103 temp. It is against the law to ship a sick animal without notifiying the state vets office. PERIOD.

And i need a lawyer. yes, I guess I do for exposing the truth and going thru the proper channels.

Please take your questions and comments about CBER to the source:

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.com/

But you'll have to wait until next Monday because there's a new board going up in place of the old one.

In the meantime: Thank you for your kind comments, Chocomare and gray17htb. We appreciate your concern.

AngFreda, catskn, pizzaz, and shirelover are in no way connected to CBER either by CBER's wishes or their own.

This thread has nothing to do with the original post, which is about the closure of the BB.
    Any questions regarding closure of the bulletin board may be directed to CBER using the email address on the website.
    Please refrain from posts that do not address the OP question.

Quote Originally Posted by Lildunhorse
    Any questions you have related to the closure of the BB may be emailed to CBER itself. Their email address is available on their website.

Thank you.
    If you ask CBER questions about these things you either get banned or you are ignored.

Choo-choo...I hear the train, get out the margaritas............
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

[QUOTE=I'm EBO]Please take your questions and comments about CBER to the source:

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.com/

If you ask them questions they don't like to answer you are either banned or ignored

Quote Originally Posted by TWHrider
    If you ask CBER questions about these things you either get banned or you are ignored.
    Then pm either ebo or myself and we will be happy to answer your questions.

edited to add: Questions regarding specifics are better addressed to CBER itself and not the CBER bulletin board.

What rescue gives you a Bill of Sale instead of an adoption Contract?

What rescue sends horses out of state, on the brand certificate it says "one way, no return"

What about the gal with Powder, has been emailing CBER for over a week asking for help, and she gets no response,

They take your money, give you a bill of sale and a horse, and thats the end of it. no follow up, no help

What about Mesa? She needed help? Where is Amy?

Why not answer the questions publicly since so many are asking the same thing?