The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Is your horse a purebred?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! And I have the papers to prove it!

299 75.70%
  • YES! I think. At least the people I bought him/her from SAID he was a purebred whatever!

22 5.57%
  • No, no idea what the thing is. I mean, I could guess, but I really don't know.

27 6.84%
  • Other - because there is always someone.

47 11.90%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Not registered, no papers, TB/Dutch cross - Madison is out of a TB mare by the Dutch WB stallion Anriejetto. And one need only look at pictures of Madison and her sire to be pretty sure about the breeding - she's pretty much the spitting image of him.

Papered and Tattooed OTTB's, every single one. Oh... of course there's Gandalf: Morgan with the Papers to Prove Inbreeding Works.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

One papered belgian and one freebie mix coming Tuesday.. a 3 yo "Pintaloosa Walker".. I guess I'm not a paper person, to me all three mixed sounds more interesting than a pure walker, appy, or paint.

One registered QH, one papered American Spotted Saddle Horse, one unpapered OTTB.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Default other

I picked other because I have a mixture, and for some of the mutts I know the actual breeding.

3 registered Thoroughbreds
    1 Section B Welsh, with papers
    1 1/2 Welsh, papers pending
    1 purebred English Shetland (short, fat hairy), old owner has the papers
    1 registered Appy, but really a half arab accident by a roan pony
    4 unregistered, of somewhat known breeding (QH/Arab mare to: Thoroughbred, and CSH; one Percheron-looking Clyde/Anglo-Arab mare and her foal by a Thbd/Trak-Clyde stallion - she was bought bred)

For the unregistered horses, my husband had his first $700 chestnut pony mare bred because he was 15 and wanted her to have a baby. Then he kept breeding all those offspring because he liked to 'see what he would get'. Some of the results have been great - like my 15hh overgrown pony - but some have been not so good. I think that luckily for these horses, my husband has sold or given them away to family members who still have them.

Strangely enough, all the papered horses are mine, but the horses I ride and show are the 'mutts'.

Default dumblood here

I have papers. I know what she is.

Pure are the TBs and Arabs. Those are the only ones right? Sorry did not read the whole tread.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Well you didn't include crossbred of known breeding... not a purebred, but also not totally unknown!

All of the above.

I bred Meathead so he could be registered half Connemara. He is out of a half Connemara Hay Hook mare. Hay Hook was the sire of Idle Dice. I have Bonnie's papers, half Connemara, I should send them in. Lotty is half Conn by Erin Go Braghalso but I don't have her papers, though I probably could get them. Lil is TB, with papers. Miss Virginia is 3/4 TB by Tap to the Beat, out of a Bobby Brown mare, no papers.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Mine is not a purebred, he's a dutch warmblood, selle francais. He is registered with papers though. He's KWPN.

1 of my 2.5 horses is "purebred" TB...Jackson. We do have papers on the other horses, but "purebred" could be taken strictly to mean TB, QH or Arabian.
    Jackson = TB
    Tucker = Dutch warmblood
    The Leetle Mare (.5) = 50% Selle Francais, 50% Dutch