The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Is your horse a purebred?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! And I have the papers to prove it!

299 75.70%
  • YES! I think. At least the people I bought him/her from SAID he was a purebred whatever!

22 5.57%
  • No, no idea what the thing is. I mean, I could guess, but I really don't know.

27 6.84%
  • Other - because there is always someone.

47 11.90%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Talking

love some of the answers...

as for me, some of them have papers... some papers fancier than others (RPSI) some pretty gold and silver medals (AWS.), a silver 'medal' with all that fancy Cherman writing... None of them are 'purebred.' The stallion is a mere 15/16ths Ayerab, but gets his spottyness from an ASB back in the woodpile.

All of them are pedigreed for pages and pages... the boy goes back to the desert... some of the others go back into the mid 1800's. Fascinates me, really.

I always say "you don't have to be registered ANYTHING to be HOY."
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default problem with the question

Many of us have multiple horses, so how do we answer? My first horse is registered half Arabian with his sire having over 51% Crabbet and he was an excellent show horse and I just found out he won the Marshall & Sterling Award. This half Arabian is no slouch, quite a talent in his hay day.

The rest of my horses are all registered Nokota horses. So one registered half Arabian and 3 registered Ranch type Nokota horses, but one of them may have some outcross but he's still registered, not sure about him as far as being full Nokota or not. 2 are definitely full Ranch type Nokota horses. So since 2 are registered full breds I voted like that, now I'm wondering if I should have, hmmm. You can decide.

Both of mine are registered. One quarter horse and one thoroughbred.

Well, since papered doesn't really equal purebred it might be hard for some to answer your original question. I have six all with papers.
    One TB mare, pure and papered.
    One TWH gelding, pure and papered.
    One TWH mare, pure but is registered as a Spotted saddle horse and as a racking horse, not with TWHBEA.
    Two Cleveland Bay/TB crosses, not pure but registered with the Cleveland Bay Society in the UK.
    One ugly little mutt of unknown origin who may be a SSH, or a paso fino, or a TWH, or some other such blend, (out of The Field, by Truck) that was performance dual-registered as a Spotted Saddle Horse and a Racking horse.

edit
    Last edited by Goodyfourshoes!; May. 20, 2007 at 12:34 AM.

Well my mare is not a "purebred" but she is branded/papered with the AWR and is a first premium foal (whatever that means). Her sire is a Holsteiner and the dam is a TB.

My gelding is a "purebred" OTTB. I don't have his original papers, but I did get a copy with his tatoo number. He has great lines (Citation on the Dam's and Bold Ruler on both) but never did anything on the track. I guess they thought he might eventually because they pin fired him and ran him for five years with two wins as a two year old

The mini is a mutt!

I have one registered TB (don't have papers, but I have his tattoo and all his info) and one "Heinz 57"... he looks like a QHx to me (and he's the EXACT color of the $700 pony!). They're both geldings, and I don't breed anyway, so I don't care about papers. It is nice to see where they came from though.

All four of mine are registered/papered. Only one can be considered purebred, though - the off track TB. Two others are Appaloosas, naturally with some crossing going on. The other is registered and branded, and I know his breeding, but he's actually half appaloosa and half Dutch Warmblood.
    "talking about love is like dancing about architecture..."
    A Wink & A NodPlaying by HeartA Wing & A PrayerBest to be Elusive

Both of mine are papered, but I really could care less.

Sunny is papered because he's OTTB.

Classic is a very well bred, typey, cute QH who was SPAYED because of idiotic AQHA color rules. She has "high white," which means white above the knee, although if you look at my pictures you'll see it's barely above the knee. If you agree to spay your high-white mare, you can still show in AQHA shows, so the people who had her before me spayed her. And then sold her by age 4. I find it annoying and pitiful that people care about color that much. She is such a nice mare and would have had wonderful babies.

Talking

I have a mutt. His mom is belgian/appy and his father is a thoroughbred. I see the belgian and thoroughbred in him but there is nothing that shows he has any appy in there.

Welllllllll.... I have a TB mare and a Rheinlander mare, and I have the papers for both. But I can't answer your poll. The TB would certainly fit into the purebred w/ papers, but since I also have the warmblood... Warmbloods are types, not breeds, and the registries are just that: registries. So there's really not a clear answer for us WB people.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge
    Well, hi! I keep meaning to change my sig line - Proud member of the $700 Pony clique.

And here's my thought on "papers don't mean a thing." It's like this - I think papers mean someone meant to breed the horse they bred and they thought about it and they bred it and registered it. Doesn't mean the horse can perform, or that it ended up what the breeder wanted. I just think that some THOUGHT about what they were doing. Or at least we hope.

But there are a lot of horses out there that make me wonder. Wonder like, what where they thinking when they bred this? And some of them make great performance horses! Just like dog mixed breeds can make great pets. But. I do wonder.

So I started with this poll. Maybe my questions are much deeper and can be explored further when I figure out more what it is I am trying to get at.
    My pony is a Mustang... I don't think her parents kept records. I would love to know her birthdate, but I'm really warped. I always buy new whip for my birthday and give it to her as her "gift" since I decided we share a birthday now. We've got the beautiful Dressage whip that is ultrastiff with the gold thread running up it (real Gold I might add!) and the nice, thin handle. I found it in Norco, CA for $10. Imagine carrying it on the plane home to NC...

The ASB... I'm certain he was shown, and I'm certain he had a good life with someone, and I'd love to have his papers and be able to know who he really is and what he really did, but I don't let it bother me too awful much. He's a good ole boy and he's got a forever home!

Steph

Papers and pedigree don't mean much at the New Holland auction. Look at all the well bred OTTBs that go through there with their heads hanging low. Not just OTTBs either, a lot of well bred horses end up there and go on to win the slaughterhouse lottery.

Nate and Kelly are lovely OTTBs and sound. They still ended up at New Holland.

I was told by the owner that my current horse is a Percheron-TB cross, but I don't buy it. He's 18.1h, wears a size 6 shoe, and takes a 60" girth -- oh yeah, and he looks like a draftie Needless to say, Quincey has no papers...

Really though, do you see any TB in this horse?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...7/DSC_0131.jpg
    (It probably doesn't help that I've taken to "dressing him" like a draftie...believe it or not, this is from the dressage phase of our last event. yes...I embarrased my poor gelding by taking him into the dressage ring dressed like that)
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

Megin- 20 year old registered leopard Appaloosa mare. Have owned her since she was 4 months old and know her mother well (who is still alive in her mid-30s).
    Reese- 2 year old registered solid bay Appaloosa mare, out of Megin, bred by me, born in my lap.
    Stryder- 5 year old unregistered Percheron/TB gelding. I don't have any record of his breeding, but know from his previous owner that his mother was a Perch, and his dad a TB....and when you look at him it is pretty obvious!

Papers are nice, but what matters most to me is the horse standing right there in front of me. If the horse is the right one for me in every way (like Stryder), I don't give a flip about papers.

Default Yes, Papers...

We bred our Georgian Grande (Saddlebred x Belgian) and yes, he is registered.
    And a great horse I might add....Here he is at two and a half... he is three now, time for more pics.....http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../163837762.jpg
    And our Trakehner Stallion....http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../161661719.jpg (double Registered with ATA & AHA)
    Trakehner Mare.....http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../152887730.jpg
    Paint mare....http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../163839935.jpg
    And Paint mare's foal.... http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../163842788.jpg filly
    And Trakehner mare's foal.....http://pic16.picturetrail.com/VOL673.../161660126.jpg.
    I agree with the research part of the papers, that is why I like them. I love to research them, it is like a hobby with me. I like to see what lines are prepotent....what is behind the eyes of my horse...etc.... as a little girl, my ponies did not have papers, and I always wondered what their history was...papers are also nice because you can usually back track at least part of the ownership and get history on your horse and the horses in their pedigrees. *** Most of my life I had unregistered horses, and they were awesome, though I have to admit, I *love* being able to do pedigree research...it is just another way to learn more about my horse & it's genetics...also, like already stated, gives correct age, etc. One thing I do love,too, is all the neat crosses that are coming onto the scene, like the Freisan x Gypsy cob I posted about under dressage 'Cross'....go over there and check him out and take the poll...see if you like him...I don't know the people who have him, just came across him on a Georgian Grande board and thought he was the bees knees...
    ~*Ride Far*~Ride Well~*~ The Sky's the Limit~
    www.firstgiving.com/christinahyke

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong
    The last one I bought is half Appaloosa and half Quarter Horse. I've seen both parents, and they're probably papered, but since my boy is a rescue from a very paranoid "owner" who just had a bunch of mares and stallions in a big field, no papers for me. But he was a weanling, old enough to see what he could be, and sufficient FOOD brought that about.
    If you want papers (I'm assuming he's a gelding), if he has colour and characteristics, you can hardship him through the ApHC. The fee is reasonable and the papers give you "proof" of ownership.
    Founder of the Olde Farte Clique

My two OTTB's -- have their papers.

Hubby's former horse we sold, a mountain pleasure horse, was registered.

Hubby's first horse, now over the bridge, no idea--had been a trail horse
    for many years in Estes Park, CO.

My first horse, also over the bridge, no idea. Guessed as standardbred,
    morgan cross of some sort, swear he had some mule in him (yes, I know
    not possible. Decided he was an OOFenberg--obstinate old fart. Miss him
    dearly!

I checked the papered box, but there are various kinds of Papers -- i.e. App, QH, TB, oldenburg. I'm one of those who basically liked anything that could jump. Years ago I would have had to check ASB too, but that horse is long across the Rainbow Bridge.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

I have an OTTB. I don't have his papers because his trainer kept them so he wouldn't be raced again down the track. But i do know his breeding and everything.