The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Is your horse a purebred?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! And I have the papers to prove it!

299 75.70%
  • YES! I think. At least the people I bought him/her from SAID he was a purebred whatever!

22 5.57%
  • No, no idea what the thing is. I mean, I could guess, but I really don't know.

27 6.84%
  • Other - because there is always someone.

47 11.90%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quincy is registered (Haflinger) but she and Lissa have been my first registered horses that I *knew* were registered- I grew up with ranch-bred QHs, some of which had papers and some didn't.

I don't have the papers, but I have the tat on my 18 year old, so I know "who" she is. But I don't have anything on my 26 and 27 year old other than that I know the 26 year old's mother was named Margarita and she was imported from Argentina. They're obviously TB's but I have no way of really finding out their backgrounds.

The last one I bought is half Appaloosa and half Quarter Horse. I've seen both parents, and they're probably papered, but since my boy is a rescue from a very paranoid "owner" who just had a bunch of mares and stallions in a big field, no papers for me. But he was a weanling, old enough to see what he could be, and sufficient FOOD brought that about.

Default I checked "other"

because I do know what two breeds were crossed to produce my mare, but I have no idea what their bloodlines were (oh, except that her dam "goes back to Man O War" LOL).
    She's a very nice horse, but I've never bred her precisely because I have no idea what's actually in there just waiting to be expressed.
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge
    I think papers mean someone meant to breed the horse they bred and they thought about it and they bred it and registered it. Doesn't mean the horse can perform, or that it ended up what the breeder wanted. I just think that some THOUGHT about what they were doing. Or at least we hope.
    I think you are an incurable optimist. I can't tell you how many times I have looked at the dam and/or sire and thought "What WERE they thinking? Or more importantly, were they thinking at all????"

I guess my thought is that you should breed the best to the best and hope for the best (OK, Tesio thought it first, but it was a good thought). The history behind the parents can be another predictor of what you hope might happen. Two great unregistered parents of indeterminate heritage may be great horses and may produce even more awesome offspring, but then again they may throwback to an older generation. And that might not be something you want. Case in point my favorite mare a stallion I like very much occassionally produces a less than desirable head that cannot seem to be blamed on mom. A look at the sire himself gives you no clue. Ditto for the grandsire. But the great grandsire? Oh yea, that's one prepotent fugly head to make it down that many generations! Now if that was something really important like "can't jump/race/trot for shit" that would be good to know.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Beanie is a TB.

I'm an other, in that I have a horse that is a mix of two registered breeds that I never bothered to register let alone get papers for. The person who bred her had one of her certian mix when he was young and "It was the best horse he ever had" and he wanted another. He didn't realize it might come out minus the anatomy his other one had Thus she became my $300 dream horse.

I have papers on MOST of my horses. And know the breeding on MOST of the ones that I don't.

3 registered AQHA mares
    1 Welsh/QH cross gelding...VPBA reg. and 1/2 Welsh eligible...I bred him
    2 TBs. No JC papers but mare is DNA typed and her history proven. I bred the other so Im sure of her parentage as well
    1 POA gelding...no papers but he has all of the characteristics
    1 Appy mule mare...big ears and spotted so thats the closest we'll get to knowing...

I have owned "paperless" and unknown origin horses in the past. Currently, I have a registered Arab, a registered QH, and a paperless Standardbred (who was sold to us as an unregistered racking horse).

I did have a grade "Appy" mare that I sold to a lady that really wanted to breed her. Mare didn't have the best conformation, but was a great little trail horse. One problem.... I don't think she ever came into heat. Last I heard, the lady was never able to breed her.

Mine is an Unregistered Oldenburg/TB

No papers, but we are 99.9% sure that Grady is a Morgan, so that is what we are calling him.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

we have Morgans and a rescued OTTB before she got to the track, a few Miniatures (AMHA reg) and black paperless chicken

I have one purebred papered Arab. Cost me a whole $1. The other is anglo-arab, or so I am told. So I guess I have a mixed herd.

No, no, I am not starting a trainwreck designed to allow the Arabian people to sling mud at the OTTB people who will be throwing rocks at the dumblood people
    So where does that put me? I have a purebred Arabian, an OTTB and (gasp! ) one of them gaited things a Missouri Fox Trotter!!!

And yes, I have papers (and a tat ) on all three.

I have a QH/TB cross. He's built like a QH with the size of a TB. Dad was a Hunter Under Saddle/type QH and mom was an OTTB. I have his AQHA papers.

I voted "other" just to be a PITA

I have all registered beasties and I have papers to prove it! I actually had to revise that sentence after I wrote it (I initially said most of my beasties were registered). Sure enough, two TB's, a HAN, Appy, Welsh, and Dartmoor cross - all complete with registration papers. Even the blind $70 appy has 'em. I didn't realize that was the case until now. How did that happen?! I don't think I've ever thought about it.... I don't think of myself as a paper snob, but it sure looks like I am

Seriously, I think it just happened that way. I tend to buy the horse, not the papers and I have had my share of mutts

Yup, two purebreds - one Arabian and one STB. I have the Arabian's papers. I have a copy of the STBs and his race record (and he's tatooed and raced). Didn't get his papers because I got him through a rescue.

Registered all the way here - except my mule

Belgian mare - papered
    Two TBs - JC papered
    One half Arab mare - papered
    one filly half arab (closer to being full bred) - papers in process
    mule - well, she wants papers...belgian of course..but...lol..

Papers ensure a horse has somewhat of a history and that appeals to many buyers, look how many of us OTTB try to find histories, papers, anything at all on our horses! I think paperwork ensures a little better chance for a horse should I get hit by a truck and die...and my lovely babies have to be sold with no thought of where they will go....(not likely since I have them listed in my will, but heirs can be real buggers sometimes - lol) hope all get my meaning, I'm bone tired today!

Yes and no.

Belle, Spy, Chief (and Brain) came with papers.

Music has no papers, but I bought her from her breeder and I know "what she is"- her sire is registered TB and her dam is a TBx QH, but not registered as Appendix.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I've got papers on all four - two Arabs (mother/son) and two OTTBs. Actually, I've had papers for every horse I've ever owned (1/2 Arab, two more TBs)