The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Is your horse a purebred?

Voters
395. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! And I have the papers to prove it!

299 75.70%
  • YES! I think. At least the people I bought him/her from SAID he was a purebred whatever!

22 5.57%
  • No, no idea what the thing is. I mean, I could guess, but I really don't know.

27 6.84%
  • Other - because there is always someone.

47 11.90%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Because I Am Curious - A Poll On Your Horse's Breed

No, no, I am not starting a trainwreck designed to allow the Arabian people to sling mud at the OTTB people who will be throwing rocks at the dumblood people. No, not at all!

The question that this inquiring mind wants to know is "Do you know your horse's breeding at all?"

The reason I ask is that I own a mutt. No idea what her breeding is, and, frankly, I would LOVE to meet the person who thought it would be a good idea to breed a whatever to a whoever to get her (to shake them and ask "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??!!??" mostly ).

So here goes! How many of you have a "purebred horse" with papers! And how many of you are Heinz 57 owners, like moi. Just for my very own curiosity, of course.

Yep...my guy is a pure bred but not typical of what you'll find on this BB. Jiggs is a Shire (I'm pretty sure La Gringa has a pure bred one as well).

I love my guy dearly but I wouldn't think twice about having a grade horse either, a horse is horse is horse....I love 'em all!!!

***Edited to add that he is papered although I STILL haven't sent them in...geesh, I need to do that this week, lol!
    **Member of the Modified Riders Clique and the "End TWH Big Lick Abuse" Clique**

One horse has papers (TB), but the other one doesn't (QH). As usual, I'm strattling the fence.

The only good thing about the papers, in my mind, is that I have a definite birthday and I get to spend "quality" time surfing the internet to look up pedigrees: http://www.pedigreequery.com/iron+rube.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

Yep, papers here on each & every one of our 33 horses. Actually it's been well over 30 years since I've had a horse that wasn't papered with a breed registry (I don't go for those little something for everyone registries like the buckskin horse registry or the black horse registry)

No guessing about mine, I bred him and knew most of the horses personally in the first three generations!

I know the breed of one of my mares although she is not registered, i knew the stallion for quite a while, a big trak down the rode from where i boarded, i also know her dam and am familiar with those lines although i did not understand the lunacy running in that blood until after i bought the weanling, mom was a tb. after i bought her, my vet came out and said who's the dam, i said so and so, and she said oh my, that's never a good thing to hear
    My other mare is supposed to be a morgan, she was from a commercial string of carriage horses that were auctioned, she has some sort of weird gait, at first i thought she was lame, I have no idea if she is a morgan although she does look like one and she was a carriage horse, although i quess any breed could do that
    the yellow horse was a mutt grade type horse, she had a tremendous trot, for a mutt horse she had very good conformation, good jumping shoulder and extremely confortable, she had an araby look to her except for the color

I'm that someone . I have registered partbred arabs .
    Still Crazy After All These Years

I have a rescue OTTB, so no papers since she came from the kill pen, but I know her breeding from her tattoo. But the best pony I had as a kid was "100% pony". We used to put all kinds of things down when asked for his breed--American Warmblood, Mustang, Chincoteague Pony, Spotted Maryland Sport Pony, Shetland/ Belgian X etc. Ironically, he sort of looks like skewbald Gypsy Vanner--too bad that he's in his mid-forties and past his competition days!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Star's a born in the USA kind-of mutt (TB-Hann) but has hugely fancy German papers for RPSI. There is no simple box for that. But I do know his breeding and bought him from the breeder. Her breeding plan seemed to be--I love my mare; oh look, there's a stallion on the property .

I checked other because we have 43 regestered and 3 grades at this time.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I have 2 grades and one papered. I own the less famous $700 pony!

Papers don't mean anything, other than my boy has WGC all over his pedegree. He's a TWH, so when gaited horse people see his papers their jaws drop. However, my unpaper 5 gaited ASB gaits far better!

Steph

Cool But what really is a pureblood?

My horse is a registered Oldenberg. As far as I can tell... most warmbloods are generations of mixed breeding. Calculated, perfected but not pure...

So my Pinto Oldenberg has a Dutch Warmblood dad (Hall of Fame) who has thoroughbred breeding and somewhere there had to have been a paint/pinto for the coloring.

The mother was a pureblood... thoroughbred which was approved as a DW.

HMMMM!

Talking

He is other, while I have papers on him, he is a pinto, a cross of a paint sire, and a 3/4 arab- 1/4 grade dam.
    Tara

A horse already knows how to be a horse;
    The rider has to learn how to become a rider.
    A horse without a rider is still a horse;
    A rider without a horse is no longer a rider.

Ted is a TB...and has better bloodlines than me. But in response to the query, "What is a purebred?" - since Ted's ancestry goes back to Arabs, i always tell him, if anyone asks, that he is to tell them Mom came from Illinois, and Dad from Kentucky, and waaaaaay back many generations they came from England. He is not to mention the "A" word, in case they think he's Taliban.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

All of mine are registered and tattooed TBs except for one - he most likely has some TB in him since he can stretch his neck and hold his head higher than any horse should ever be allowed to! Lol - always when I want to put a halter on him and I'm short, only 5'5"!) The rest of him is anyone's guess. We don't even think about it though. We found him as an orphaned weanling and boy was he UGLY! Everything about him was out of proportion. He stayed pretty damned ugly through all of his growing years and about halfway through his yearling year he VERY strongly resembled a moose. Now he's 6 and one of the most beautiful horses I know (remember I'm his Mom and maybe not very objective!) But he really did turn into a very, vary handsome adult and we've had several people ask if we'd consider selling him but he's here forever. We love him to bits!

To DressageGeek : good advice with the political climate these days you just never know! lol! A few weeks ago I was standing on a train platform talking with a friend on my cel phone. She was trying to convince me to ride her horse while she was away. Her Arabian, who has dumped her and run off more times than anyone can count, has caused her MANY trips to the ER and several broken bones. My response was (and rather loudly): "No way, I really don't trust that dirty little Arab, not today not ever!" You can only imagine the horrified loks on the faces of the people around me! There I was trying to convince a bunch of total strangers that I was talking about a horse and that no, I really wasn't a bigot!

Both of my guys are without a doubt purebreds. My really old one is a TWH, no mistaking there. He has the big head, the TWH conformation and a killer running walk. Don't have his papers because I bought him out of the killpen.

My other one is a saddlebred. Again, there is absolutely no mistaking of his breed - he's a saddlebred to a T. Looks like one, acts like one, moves like one. Beautiful horse. Don't have the papers because they've gotten lost somewhere in the long string of owners he's had (not his fault poor tyke is not a beginners horse).

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

How about "Yes, and he has the tats to prove it!"
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I have two, both registered with papers. However, both registries need to include verbage stating whether the horse is boneheaded or not. Mine both seem to be bonafide boneheads.
    I've had more grades than not over the years though. I'll assume few to none were bred with any sort of purpose in mind, however all were sparkling diamonds in eyes. Many funny looking diamonds...but talented!
    I'd never pass on a grade for myself, however for resale purposes I'd prefer papers.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by StefffiC
    I have 2 grades and one papered. I own the less famous $700 pony!

Papers don't mean anything, other than my boy has WGC all over his pedegree. Steph
    Well, hi! I keep meaning to change my sig line - Proud member of the $700 Pony clique.

And here's my thought on "papers don't mean a thing." It's like this - I think papers mean someone meant to breed the horse they bred and they thought about it and they bred it and registered it. Doesn't mean the horse can perform, or that it ended up what the breeder wanted. I just think that some THOUGHT about what they were doing. Or at least we hope.

But there are a lot of horses out there that make me wonder. Wonder like, what where they thinking when they bred this? And some of them make great performance horses! Just like dog mixed breeds can make great pets. But. I do wonder.

So I started with this poll. Maybe my questions are much deeper and can be explored further when I figure out more what it is I am trying to get at.

Nope..no papers on my imported Old-Style Dutch Smartblood with heavy Perchefalen Tendencies.....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector