The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

NAIS -Shades of Ira Levin and This Perfect Day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Perfect_Day

That's a great book, ya know.

Sci Fi writers have a pretty good knack for accurately predicting the future, don't they.

Quote Originally Posted by blrm
    Have you got any info on imports AND exports on a yearly basis.To import two loads a week from BC, once in a while could quite easily be offset by exporting 6 loads a week to the two Quebec plants.
    And since alot of the Save the Horses and Humane Society websites are talking about the 20,000- 30,000 slaughter horses that are exported from the US to Can per year,I'm just curious who's got it right.
    We keep track of the weekly figures published by USDA, as well as the annual totals of all US horses slaughtered in the US, Canada, Mexico, and Japan.

US horses exported to Canada total an average of 2,000 per month. The export figures are published monthly.

Canadian Horses imported for slaughter to IL and TX average about 500 per month. The figures are published weekly. Each and every week Canadian horses are imported for slaughter in IL, the loads to Texas are on the average, one load, once per month.

Yes, more US horses are exported for slaughter to Canada than are Canadian horses imported to the US for slaughter, however, if the US has such an unwanted horse problem, we would surely not need to import ANY horse for slaughter.

By the way, the horses imported from Canada to the US, for the most part are coming all the way from Alberta. This is a torturous journey of over 1,700 miles to IL and over 2,100 miles to TX.

Also, of important note here, is the fact that the Bouvry plant in Canada,
    maintains a feedlot in the US (Montana). This is where the vast majority of horses being sent to Canada originate from.

Gail
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

I don't see where the U.S. has or has ever had an unwanted horse problem. Oh I know theres a horse now and then that no one will take but there rare. I've yet to go to an auction and seen a horse not sell. I've seen sellers not sell them for the high bid but there not unwanted.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by county
    I don't see where the U.S. has or has ever had an unwanted horse problem. Oh I know theres a horse now and then that no one will take but there rare. I've yet to go to an auction and seen a horse not sell. I've seen sellers not sell them for the high bid but there not unwanted.
    I agree County!
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.aqhaforums.com/viewtopic....2828ffa33f12f7

For anyone seeking more info and discussion here is a thread on the AQHA forums that has been going on for some time now.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Thumbs up Bump...

I am going to round these threads up so folks can read what has already been said, theres an awful lot of he said she said.. and its not so. So maybe if we have all the slaughter threads together, everyone can see that this has already been said!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.