The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

3 of my neighbors horses were hit last year...it is awful.

Jingles for you and your boy....keep us posted.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

I just talked to the vet. He is thrillled with Walker's progress. He said it is a miracle. He looks horrible to me though.
    I could't even bear to see him, let alone take care of him last night. I had to send him to the clinic.
    I can't believe my reaction, I just sat down in the driveway and starting calling the vet, I didn't go try to catch him or anything.
    I don't know why I acted like that.
    I guess I feel guilty, but not for the accident, that wasn't my fault, thank goodness.
    My brain isn't working right.
    Thank you all for your good thoughts.
    Of all the incoherent thoughts I had last night, the one thing I thought to do was come on here and be able to share.
    thanks.

I'm so sorry - but good news from your vet.

Is someone with you? Were you alone at the time? {{{{ hugs }}}} to both you and your precious horse.

I can see myself having the same kind of reaction, just because I've always imagined that kind of thing being such a terminal disaster--my mind would go to what I had dreaded for years, instead of the reality (which sounds less awful than what you had probably imagined). It would be pretty overwhelming.

Good thing you have good people around that were able to handle it--a good vet service is beyond any price.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

There were a bunch of people at the barn, the end of a busy day.
    I had to have someone drive me home and another friend came and stayed last night.
    I am still having trouble talking, so should I go to a doctor?
    Any body had any experience with shock in people?

Jingling loudly for you! [[[[[HuG]]]]]

As for the shock, I think it's natural honestly. Some people deal with awful things like that. I think once you get settled into the idea that your horse is going to be ok, you will start to feel better. You can't beat yourself up over it, and I am sure your horse isn't going to hold it against you.

If you have a doctor (pychiatrist or otherwise) you could always ask for some anti-anxiety meds. That is what got my Mom through when Gus and Max were killed. She was on meds for a few days so she could sleep and not have an anxiety attack.

Keep us updated and cyber hugs from South Florida!

I asked if you were alone when the accident happened because I know with me, if I'm alone and no one else that can deal, I WILL deal and do what needs to be done. However, when I saw my dog get hit many years ago, I sort of remember thinking that if I just screamed loud enough, my mother would come out of the house and SHE'D handle it and I could have the luxury of "losing" it for a minute. Had no one been around, I would not have done that. I'm sure you felt something the like, just as I'm sure you would have done what needed to be done had you been alone. And, you did call the vet, just as you should have.

I'm so glad you WEREN'T alone! I don't know you well enough to say whether you need to see a doctor/meds. But, definitely more {{{hugs}}} headed your way.

Jingles for you and Walker! I have 2 friends who've had horses hit by cars, one more seriously than the other. They both recovered completely, so knowing that and the vet's positive outlook, try to relax.

I know nothing about shock in humans and its treatment, but I'd say calling the Dr. that gave you something for last night would be a good place to start.
    www.sandbarequinetransport.com

Proud member of the ILMD[FN]HP and Bull Snap Haters Cliques

Truly one of all our worst fears. I'm so sorry for your boy.

More jingles that he continues to improve. I'm also jingling for you to feel better today. We're all thinking about you today.
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen

Default Feeling sorry for you

Oh what horror! To see it and see him in such bad shape. I'm glad vet says he is improving! I think it's only natural that you're still pretty messed up. But you could always try and ask your doctor if it's normal that you still feel shaken and can't talk. Jingles and a big hug and try to sleep some. A lot of trauma gets worked over during sleep. And I always recover scary or bad things by sleeeeeeeping a lot.
    Offspring of Ramiro Z clique,member TrakehNERD Clique Very proud and honored to be the human of Fargo (RIP) and Whizzard. Whizz what a true friend you are.

More jingles for you and Walker!

How awful! Glad to hear your boy is going to be okay. Hope you will be too, soon!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I am sorry for you and your horse. I had a WB filly get hit and killed by a log truck 3 yrs ago next month.I did not see it happen, but the 30 yr old rescue mare she was with woke me up- she literally had her head inside the back door and was screaming - I got up, and it was so eerily quiet andstill out -(it was 2am) I went looking for my filly, and came upon the scene on the highway below our house- luckily there was no one hurt- the driver was fine, refused treatment, but his truck was totalled, and my horse was dead- I also went into shock- not only over my horse being dead- but of the potential legal ramifications involved- there was lots of insurance discussions, claims filed, talks with 2 witnesses who had apparently been trying to get them out of a parking lot, when the filly bolted across the hwy. As bad as the timing may be, I am going to be the voice of legal reason here- You need to be very careful about saying it was not your fault- After all it was your horse that was loose. Unless you live where there are open range areas, then technically and legally you may be held liable for this accident- Have you checked with the driver of the car to find out if they are ok? What kind of damage was done to the vehicle? Did the driver have insurance? In my case, The truck driver's insurance did try to file a claim with our homeowner's insurance but it was denied due to it not happening on our property- and at the time, the horses were on the pasture next door, which we were leasing. But the damages and lost wages were well over $40,000 that they wanted to collect. If I were you, I would notify your own insurance company- if you have any- and let them know what happened- It also may not hurt to prepare to consult an attorney if needed. You will be contacted by insurance people so be prepared to be talking to them- and tremember that it will be the driver's insurance- so they are not there to help you- they want to blame you and your horse- anything you tell them, they can twist to suit themselves- tell them you are too upset when they call you initially, and ask them if you can call them back at a time better suited for you- then you can be more prepared to speak to them, and not be so emotional when you talk to them....I hope I haven't been to abrupt here, or seemed cruel for bringing this all up- but it is VERY important at this time to start thinking about the legal aspect involved in this.... especially in today's society....

Jingling for you both! I witnesses my 2 month old pony filly be mauled by dogs two days ago and was able to beat the dogs off her and save her life. So I know what kind of shock you are in. I am really amazed at how well I handled the crisis because I always thought I'd freeze. God had a hand in this so that my little one did not end up dead.
    I am so happy your horse is not terribly injured. And you will be okay too. Your mind just has to process everything and sometimes that takes a few days. Just go see him and give him lots of love!
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

OMG I am so sorry. That must have been just horrible to see!!!

Hope horse, car occupants, and you are all OK!!!!

shea'smom. Don't feel bad about your reaction. I had a horse go into anaphylactic shock after a shot I gave him. He ran around the pasture and through a fence and then fell down in a heap. I didn't go to him. I just went to the phone and called the vet. Who acted like I was a total freak. He said is he ok? and I had to say I didn't know that I would go look out the window. He was fine and your boy is too. Don't be so hard on yourself.
    "What's so funny 'bout Peace Love and Understanding?" Elvis Costello

How terrifying, especially that you saw it happen. I'm so glad that Walker is going to recover though, sounds as though he was very lucky. There is no need for you to feel guilty, you called the vet to get medical help which is what your boy needed.

Default oh dear!

jingles.

MAJOR BOARD MOJO JINGLES.

Hope the two of you recover quickly!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I am so sorry.

Big TEXAS-sized ***JINGLES*** for you and for your horse.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~