The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

He was actually scratched last night. I had a horse in that race and was eager to have a look at the old man. Don't know why he was scratched.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Quote Originally Posted by jenarby
    He was actually scratched last night. I had a horse in that race and was eager to have a look at the old man. Don't know why he was scratched.
    Possibly purchased before the race or the owners got wind of a claim that was going to be dropped.

No, he was scratched because the wife talked the hubby out of running Max on such an awful racetrack. With his legs it would not have been pretty - I was worried about him racing on that surface last night. Apparently so were his connections. Kudos to them.

Jen congrats on the win with Watch and Wager!
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

I checked the results and wondered what had happened. Glad his people thought of him first.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

Thanks Jessi!

I figured it might have to do with the sloppy track. I'm glad they didn't run him.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

I missed this post somehow (I was moving from VA to TX at the time of the OP).

How are things going with Max? I'd be willing to donate a few $$ if still needed...
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Wow, I really hope this guy finds a great home - he's got lots of good folks rooting for him! My boy is a dark bay Slew grandbaby too, and raced for four years before being sent to auction. I can't offer a home or transportation, but let me know if there is someplace I can donate to help out.

I gave them a heads up about this guy at TRF. He can not be placed on the official waiting list until he is owned by someone willing to donate him, but at least they have his info. That should speed things up if it turns out to be the direction that we want to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronzini
    Possibly purchased before the race or the owners got wind of a claim that was going to be dropped.
    I doubt if they would scratch a horse like this because they were going to loose him. Sorry but at this stage of the horses career it isn't the claim box, it is the wish box Seriously though I hope he gets a great non racing home.

Thank you so much you guys - it is SO nice to know that I am not the only one other than his owner/trainers who care about Max. Mr Hobie, wonderful man that he is, asks "Dont you have ENOUGH to worry about without worrying about someone else's horse?" Well... I made a connection with Max and KNOW for a fact that I am the only thing standing between him and the knackers. But with the COTH family beside me we can do wonderful things.

What I NEED is for someone to shoulder the responsibility of setting up an auction - even if it is only a small auction we still have several things donated to auction off. I am afraid I don't know anything about setting up the forum for an auction and throw myself upon the mercy of my fellow COTHers. If we aim to get the auction up and running within the next few days to a week, and give it 3-5 days for bidding (or whatever the consensus agrees upon), it should be completed in time for me to have cash on hand to offer trainer after Max's next (and hopefully final) race. We don't need to raise ALL of his purchase price - I have a couple donations waiting in the wings. I believe the trainer will take $500 for Max - we bought a filly last week from him for our blacksmith and that is how much $$ he wanted for her. When Mr Hobie went to see for that filly last week the morning after her race the trainer had already pulled her papers to send them along with the killer guy to auction, because "the mares bring more money with papers." We had her out of there within a few hours. Our blacksmith will give her some much needed time off at the farm to heal from the inside out and give her a fresh outlook on life. But I digress.

I would like to raise $800 total, so that I have some wiggle room in the event he wants more than $500 for Max. Any leftovers will be used to feed, bed, and worm him til he moves on to his new home, then applied to shipping as needed. Laurie thank you SO much for talking to the TRF about him - it is a wonderful place for an old stakes winner like Max.

So does anyone want to take on the task of organizing the auction? I have to look back but we have these donations so far (copying and pasting from page 2) :

Linny - old racing magazines and racing books

Jenarby closed front jumping boots

Jessi sets of mini sized shipping boots, other misc

17hdTB misc auction items

Moonballad misc auction items

Saskatoonian auction items or $$

TKS auction items or $$

Boyleheightskid $$

eks $$

More items/donations are welcome, of course. Anyone who can take on the task of the auction - I would be forever in your debt and could arrange a trip to the backside to visit the horses etc should you ever come by our neck of the woods.

I can send some $; will look thru the "stuff" at the barn and see if there is anything for the auction.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

I don't have any thing to auction, but can send a $ donation.

While I applaud the idea of the auction, it seems like a time consuming and complicated affair to take on before you've even approached the trainer about the horse. Why don't you ask COTHer's to PM you with a pledge of how much they're willing to donate - since several have said they'll send you $$ rather than an auction item - and then approach the trainer? It seems like you can raise $500 rather easily, and maybe people will be even more willing to donate once you can tell them that the trainer will definitely sell the horse for that amount, or however much he tells you. And there's nothing stopping you from raising further funds by auction at that point, too. Once people know that saving this horse is a reality and not just an idea, I think they'll be super willing to help out even more than now.

It just seems like a huge leap of faith to put up an auction all while keeping your plans secret from the trainer. Why not approach him? You're offering him a simple solution to the end of this horse's career, which is upon him. I don't see why the trainer wouldn't work with you.

I would also suggest posting on Off Course, since a lot more people visit than the racing forum.

Hi Classic Melody,

Perhaps you didnt read the whole thread. Actually the trainer's wife is working with me on this one. She doesn't want to see Max snap a leg off either - has been trying to get hubby to give Max time off or sell him, and I am sure she was a big part of the decision to scratch him this past weekend on a horrible track. They have approx 40 horses, this is a numbers game to him and Max has been unproductive for some time and must go.

It is clear to all that Max is soon to go, just matter of after this race or the one after. He is almost out of starts at this racetrack, with just a couple races left. Once the trainer finalizes he has to go, he will go to either the killer guy or whoever hands him cash first. The killer guy goes through the track twice a week (altho he had a stroke last week and I havent heard how he is doing or if someone is doing his runs for him). We bought a filly from this trainer last week the morning after her race - her papers had already pulled from the office to give to Dick the killer guy to get more $ at auction. Max will be back in the next race that he is eligible for, probably next week. So, no one is keeping any secrets from the trainer, not even his wife. BUT ... if the trainer knows we want to get the horse out of there he will probably put a $2500-ish price tag on the horse and would DEMAND an exorbitant amount, or send the horse to the killers and say buy "him from the kill pen if that's all you want to give for him." I have seen him do it before to other people and other horses. It is certainly an option, to wait and buy him from Sugarcreek. But what a shame to put a horse through an auction needlessly if it can be avoided.

If I had the $$ to buy him myself and give him away I would.

Unhappy So Max Has Moved to Finger Lakes

Sleetwood Mac is entered to run on May 11, 2007 at FINGER LAKES
    Your comments for this horse were: 1997 b g; Seattle Sleet x Moments Delight (General Assemby); black type; was Loren Cox, now Amalia B. Cox; Mountaineer
    Race: 5 Distance: Five And One Half Furlongs Surface: Dirt Age: 10 Sex: Gelding
    Race Type: Claiming Purse: $8500
    Jockey: Michael A. Davila, Jr.
    Trainer: L. Craig Cox (emphasis added)
    Race conditions: FOR THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NOT WON THREE RACES IN 2006-2007. Three Year Olds, 118 lbs.; Older, 124 lbs. Non-winners of a race since April 11 Allowed 2 lbs. A race since March 11 Allowed 4 lbs. Claiming Price $4,000.
    Last Raced: 04/17/2007 at MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT in Race 4
    Finish Position: 8th
    Last Reported Workouts:
    01/26/2007-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Four Furlongs-Dirt Fast-50:20 Breezing
    09/05/2006-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Four Furlongs-Dirt Fast-50:80 Breezing
    06/20/2006-MOUNTAINEER RACE TRACK AND GAMING RESORT-Five Furlongs-Dirt Fast-1.07:00 Breezing

Good Luck, Max! Your fan club will be rooting for you.

Pray tell, which branch of the Cox family is L. Craig?

We have some F'Lakes folks here. Louise? Who else. Old Max needs a new guardian angel.

Splash! How have you been? My yahoo account crashed and I cannot find your email. Drop me a note. El Prado Rob trained yesterday, he's back aere at saratoga after a winter vacation in South Carolina. He looks better than ever.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I'll get right on this. I know L. Craig Cox, and he has listed horses with us in the past. I'll email the head of FLTAP tonight, and I'll give Cox a call.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I'll get right on this. I know L. Craig Cox, and he has listed horses with us in the past. I'll email the head of FLTAP tonight, and I'll give Cox a call.
    It sure would be nice to finally get this old warrior retired before its too late although Amalia is the wife of the other trainer isn't she? Is this his son? Brother?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post

Louise and everyone,

Let's not forget that according to
    Update on Max (Aug. 30, 2006), he has a little trust fund somewhere to help him transition into a new home (and a career that does not include being the Energizer Bunny!):

We have been very successful with our auction, raising over $800!! This will be enough for Max's purchase price and pay for worming/feeding/bedding him til he goes to his new home, and there should be enough left over to pay towards his shipping bill once we decide where he is going to go. Yeay!!

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    .... Amalia is the wife of the other trainer isn't she? Is this his son? Brother?
    Summerhorse, perhaps Cox is a common name thereabouts?

Consider all the folks named Cox that were involved in the 5th race at Mountaineer back on March 13, 2007:

Second Place: Id'lly Divine - owner, Ryan Cox; trainer, L. Cox
    Fourth Place: Sleetwood Mac - owner/trainer Amalia B. Cox
    Fifth Place: Deputy Call - owner/trainer Loren G. Cox