The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

17hdTB The trainer and his wife are in a barn catty-corner to my stalls. I see them every day when I am home - but I am at Moms (4 hours away in Harrisburg) for maybe a week. They are a high volume stable and often ask us for help at night - it's not unusual between them to have 4-5 horses racing in one night.

eks Thank you so much. Every little bit helps, even $5 at a time. I need to compile a list of auction items....

Linny - old racing magazines and racing books

Jenarby closed front jumping boots

Jessi sets of mini sized shipping boots, other misc

17hdTB misc auction items

Moonballad misc auction items

Saskatoonian auction items or $$

TKS auction items or $$

Boyleheightskid $$

eks $$

Laurierace try to arrange for TRF to take Max if we get him bought and shipped

Have I missed anyone?

Finally getting used to this laptop...slowly.
    Last edited by Jessi P; Jun. 29, 2006 at 02:05 PM.

YoTambien if the Exceller Fund could buy Max that would be INCREDIBLE!!!! I can keep him until shipping arrangements can be made to take him to his new home (I am hoping someone on here can take him). And I can ask the vet for a discounted rate, if he needs anything done. And we can put our donations and auction profits towards his shipping and perhaps refund any unspent $$ to Exceller, or keep it in the kitty towards the next one that needs rescuing.

This would be FANTASTIC if Exceller could step in and pay for Max - absolutely WONDERFUL. What more do we have to do to get the ball rolling, or do we wait until the wife tells me hubby is ready to sell him?

I am so excited now!
    Last edited by Jessi P; Jun. 29, 2006 at 02:04 PM.

We will need help from the COTHers to do this! If everyone who is pledging money can send it to The Exceller Fund, or who would auction something on eBay and designate The Exceller Fund on eBay's Giving Works, we should be able to do this!

We will need a couple of things first:
    1. Find out the purchase price from the trainer. We should not pay too much above killer price. If the trainer would consider a tax deductible donation, that would be even better. However, many won't, so don't push too hard on that.
    2. We need someone who can foster this horse at their place. We simply do not have the funding to pay board on another horse at the moment. If anyone has a boarding facility and would consider donating board as a tax deduction, we can work that out also.
    3. We will need the transport network to find a way to transport to a foster home.

Send me a PM so we can discuss further! Or send an e-mail to mail@excellerfund.org
    Last edited by YoTambien; Jun. 29, 2006 at 02:32 PM.

Depending on his attitude and prognosis I could probably give him a retirement home but I can't buy him or vet him (I suspect fromt he description he'd be getting a lot of vetting here!) or ship him. I have a rescue so he does need to be not mean or aggressive to other animals (or well people!) I have pictures of my place on webshots for approval. Can also offer references. It would be better for him if he went someplace closer with lots of pasture but at least it doesn't get very cold here! Could also foster him if a retirement place in FL could take him (without the fee) but didn't have space right off. Kill price right now is between 30 and 40 cents a pound so I would think $500-600 would be ample to ensure the trainer got a better price than the killers. Anyhow its an option!
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

I can donate a few $$. Let me know when and where to send it.

summerhorse,

That is wonderful that you can give him a retirement home!

Hobie/Jessi P--We've taken horses from Mountaineer before, but getting them here is really cost prohibitive. I'd like to donate some money toward either his purchase or his care though!

Summerhorse, please dont take this the wrong way, but if you can take him as a retiree but cannot afford vet care how would that work?

I can afford his regular vet care but not expensive tests to see if he has problems that might require surgery or euthanasia or that sort of thing. Since it sounds like he DOES have problems that will probably need continuing vet care here (and probably preclude him from being any kind of real riding horse) I can't really afford to spend money on shipping and whatever they need from the vet TO ship and all that because I have a rescue and other animals to vet and feed. But I DO have space and horse clothing and can feed/maintain him. He can also be a foster for as long as he needs if that is preferred. Then if something major happened (i.e. a severe colic requiring surgery, whatever) the Exceller Fund would have the option of raising money or euthanizing whichever they felt was best. (that's if they didn't want to give him away)

If I just wanted "A" horse I could get one free in Ocala most any day of the week and ship it here for $300 or so. I just can't justify a couple thousand on buying/vetting/shipping a pasture ornament but I CAN give him a good home to save his life if others want to chip in and get him here. When you run a rescue you just have to prioritize the few dollars that come in! Most rescues charge a "donation" fee to take in animals. (Edit: I do not charge a donation fee and I do not sell horses either, if something happened to me he'd go back to the Exceller Fund or whomever they designated to take him).
    Last edited by summerhorse; Jun. 30, 2006 at 01:14 PM.

Jessie - Let us know the latest situation. I sent you a PM about a group that has said they can help. I don't want to go into too much detail on the public forum until we can get the details firmed up.

Please feel free to e-mail The Exceller Fund at mail@excellerfund.org

You guys are AWESOME!! Yo Tambien has informed me about a rescue who is willing to take Max that sounds very promising - so all of our funds can go towards his purchase price and shipping. Charlieo has also offered to take Max and retire him at her place with 3 other retired OTTBs. Do we have opinions on rescue org vs a COTHer? I would rather see a COTHer have him, but a rescue does have a certain stability (we hope). Heck rescues can run out of funding too tho. Opinions ladies?

Right now he isnt going to need any special vet work - he has big sore ankles, body sore, hocks screwed up, but a normal person would look at him and say he is fine because he can trot well enough to pass a vet BEFORE the race, after the race he gets dinky. That is because he is sore on both sides, and doesnt get sore enough to limp on one side or the other til after the incredible exertion of a race. He needs time and turn out, some grass and sun.

You guys kick a$$!

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P
    You guys are AWESOME!! Yo Tambien has informed me about a rescue who is willing to take Max that sounds very promising - so all of our funds can go towards his purchase price and shipping. Charlieo has also offered to take Max and retire him at her place with 3 other retired OTTBs. Do we have opinions on rescue org vs a COTHer? I would rather see a COTHer have him, but a rescue does have a certain stability (we hope). Heck rescues can run out of funding too tho. Opinions ladies?

Right now he isnt going to need any special vet work - he has big sore ankles, body sore, hocks screwed up, but a normal person would look at him and say he is fine because he can trot well enough to pass a vet BEFORE the race, after the race he gets dinky. That is because he is sore on both sides, and doesnt get sore enough to limp on one side or the other til after the incredible exertion of a race. He needs time and turn out, some grass and sun.

You guys kick a$$!
    I think that would depend entirely on the rescue (and well the COTHers too!). Rescues go under or get overwhelmed, you'd want to go visit it first. Otherwise the decision should be where is the horse going to be happiest?

What vetting does he need to ship? He should have a coggins and vaccinations since he's at a racetrack right? (I hope!) I think he'd need a health certificate within 30 days to go out of state. As long as he is sound to travel that should be it.

I did offer him a retirement home in the FL sun which should be easy on his joints. =)

Wherever you guys think he should go is fine with me. I can help with the shipping to wherever he goes. Just want him to have a home after the track.
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

Jo Diebel of Angel Acres is the one who let me know they can take in this horse if he needs a place.

Money would still need to be raised for purchase and transportation. If anyone has sent in a donation to The Exceller Fund for this guy, let me know and we can forward the funds to Angel Acres.

Rather than have TEF purchase a horse and turn him over to another group, the paper trail would work better if we simply forward any raised funds and have the purchase go directly from Angel Acres.

You can also go to Angel Acres website at http://www.angelacreshorsehavenrescue.com
    and make a donation.

At this point, lets get a little clearer idea if the trainer will sell the horse, or perhaps donate the horse(!), what the price is, and what our options are for transport to Glenville, Pennsylvania so we'll have an idea of the total amount needed.

Way to go COTH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieo
    Wherever you guys think he should go is fine with me. I can help with the shipping to wherever he goes. Just want him to have a home after the track.

yeah the important thing is the horse goes where he will be well cared for and happy and they are able to take care of any issues that might arise (from being run into the ground...) Probably any number of us could provide him with a good home but the less distance he has to ship on those ankles and sore back is probably better.

But yeah first the guy has to sell him!

Any thought of contacting his breeder and seeing if they will pitch in? (on the low down of course)

Just an update folks, our buddy "Max" is racing tomorrow at Mountaineer, race 10, about 10:45 pm EST. His race will be online for those who want to watch (it's better with broadband/DSL) at the Mnr website - Mtrgaming.com, go to live racing, then click on live audio/video. Then choose dial up or broadband connection speed.

I am going to put his name on here, and assume that no one is going to call his connections and harass them about racing the horse - he belongs to them, he is their property, and the best I can do for him is be kind and available and ask after his race what they plan to do with him. That will depend on how he runs, of course. Maybe he will jump up and run a huge race.

Anyway, I was following someone else's suggestion about contacting the breeder, who I have discovered is Charles J. Reed. I do not have contact info for him yet but haven't researched it yet either. I got caught up looking up infor for our buddy Max first, who is a Seattle Slew grandson named Sleetwood Mac. I found the following:

http://www.thebigm.com/racingNewsDetail.asp?newsid=4183
    SPECIAL JUDGE TAKES WEDNESDAY FEATURE IN 1:08 3/5
    East Rutherford, N.J. - Runnin Horse Farm's Special Judge sat off fractions set by Rock Island Salami and Sleetwood Mac, before powering past those rivals in mid-stretch and holding off the on-coming Ticket to Freedom to post a length win in the $31,000 claiming feature at the Meadowlands on Wednesday night.

http://www.pennnational.com/headline...59856163.shtml
    Thomas McClay?s Beau?s Surprise, winless in more than 11 months, took advantage of a suicidal pace set by Sleetwood Mac and K Mac to rally for a surprise win in the $30,000 John J. Shumaker Handicap in the seventh race on the Jenny Wade card. Beau?s Surprise, ridden by Robby Alvarado, was far back as Sleetwood Mac and K Mac engaged in a speed duel through a first quarter-mile in :21.1 and opening four furlongs in :44.

Apparently he is the 2nd leading earner for sire Seattle Sleet http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2005/0829/414.pdf#search='sleetwood%20mac'

And here is his dam for sale (didnt look up results) http://www.keeneland.com/sales/Nov04/pdfs/599.pdf#search='sleetwood%20mac'

And I wanted to add that she was bred to notable sire Two Punch several times, then Lemon Drop Kid and sold thru this sale in foal to Fusaichi Pegasus. We also need to note that Sleetwood Mac also equalled the track record of 1:08 4/5 in one of his two stakes wins. Impressive. Poor old boy is running for his life now. This horse was a contender at one time.

http://www.monmouthpark.com/sharedimages/9-1.pdf#search='sleetwood%20mac'
    He ran 2nd and was claimed by Michael Gill and Shuman, had been trained by Johnny Zimmerman (RIP Johnny).

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=18678

from the phila park press box:

http://www.philadelphiapark.com/pres...box.asp?id=506

And finally, the $50,000 Captain My Captain Stakes completes the lineup. The five furlong turf test appears wide open. J.R. Stable's Sleetwood Mac has won all three of his starts this year, including the John Shumaker at Penn National.

And I still have 10 more pages of search results to go thru, but children to lasso and get to bed.

This horse has such a rich history, someone cared about him once. He made someone a chunk of change. I wonder who exactly J R Stables is, when he was trained by Zimmerman. Hmmm...
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Some more:

Saturday (4/9) [2005]

3RD - SLEETWOOD MAC (Seattle Sleet), an old campaigner with a lot of heart and who knows how to win, picked up his second win of the meet. The impressive aspect of this effort was after leading the first half-mile he fell back by 3 1/2 length in the stretch before battling back to to get a neck in front at the wire.
    http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...nt=yes&id=1255

----------------

<snip>
    Conceived, though not foaled, in Maryland are three colts - two by Maryland's annual leading sales sire Two Punch and one by Polish Numbers.

Two Punch's first to be offered is Hip No. 49, a Kentucky-bred full brother to Heavyweight Champ, a multiple graded-stakes-placed 2-year-old, and a half-brother to stakes winner Sleetwood Mac. http://www.marylandthoroughbred.com/...?articleid=191 towards bottom
    -------------------

Heavyweight Champ retired, will stand in Chile
    from http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod.../25/2003#35963

Dill C. Stable's Heavyweight Champ, third in the 2001 Champagne Stakes (G1) and second in the Saratoga Special Stakes (G2) as a two-year-old, has been retired to stud and will stand this season in Chile, trainer John Terranova said.

Out of training the last couple of months with a suspensory injury, Terranova said Heavyweight Champ could have returned to racing, but "at the time the offer came along and we looked into the stallion deals, it seemed like the right thing to do."

Sold through an agent for an undisclosed amount, the four-year-old Heavyweight Champ already has entered quarantine in Miami and will be in Chile for the upcoming breeding season, Terranova said.

The son of Two Punch had two wins in 14 starts, and earned $211,668 in two seasons. In addition to his placings in the Champagne, Heavyweight Champ placed third in the 2001 Sanford Stakes (G2). Winless in 2003, he finished eighth in his last start, the Yankee Affair Stakes on April 12 at Gulfstream Park. His last win was on November 3 in a six-furlong allowance race at Aqueduct.

A half brother to stakes winner Sleetwood Mac, Heavyweight Champ is one of six winners from eight starters out of the General Assembly mare Moments Delight.

Bred in Maryland by Charles Reed, Heavyweight Champ was purchased in 2001 by Keith Taylor for $675,000 from the consignment of Eddie Woods, agent, at the Fasig-Tipton February sale of two-year-olds in training.—Warren Alber
    ----------------------
    http://www.thebigm.com/raceReviewsT....ctober+6,+2004
    Meadowlands handicapping comments

Might be able to out kick Smokieisabandit in the early going. He can go :21 and change for the first quarter, but he'll be hard-pressed all the way. Not expecting him to hold on for a top three finish against these. Playing against.

------------------

VOILA!
    http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/tod...ate=02/13/2002

Thoroughbred owner's dog wins Westminster's Best in Show

Thoroughbred owner Ronald L. Scott's miniature poodle Surrey Spice Girl, won the prestigious Best in Show award at the Westminster Kennel Club's 126th annual show on Tuesday at Madison Square Garden.

Scott, who lives in Silver Springs Township, Pennsylvania, near Penn National Race Course owns the dog with his wife, Barbara. He campaigns his stable, which is headed by trainer Bruce Kravets, at Penn National and Charles Town Races in partnership with his brother Rick. He also has a division with Scott Lake, the nation's leading trainer by number of wins last year, in Maryland and at Philadelphia Park.

One of Scott's best runners was homebred Sleetwood Mac, a Pennsylvania-bred, who won the restricted Danzig Stakes in 2000 at Penn National.

We need to get a hold of this guy and ask him to donate towards Max....

Sorry if this is info overload, but it isnt usual that you can find so much info on a racehorse online.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

I think its great that you are doing this. I'm sure many former owners won't be interested in helping horses they used to own, considering they weren't very concerned when they dropped the horse down to the claiming ranks or sold it, but at the very least the public embarrassment factor may prompt them to act.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessi P
    and the best I can do for him is be kind and available and ask after his race what they plan to do with him. That will depend on how he runs, of course. Maybe he will jump up and run a huge race.
    Jessie P,

thank you for keeping an eye on him.

I am working on a similiar situation here, this horse has been doing lousy as of a year ago (he too is an old campaigner who made big bucks at one time). His frustrated owner had already asked me if I would take him, he just wanted to give him one more race.
    Big hearted sweet guy gave all he had and actually won. (Dumb, dumb horse I told him on my visit the following day). So now owner wants to continue to run him. Nothing wrong with that in general, however this horse is older and really worn out, he deserves to retire instead of running in low claiming races, coming back sore and tired every time.

Please keep us posted Jessie P. I hope Max gets his well deserved retirement soon.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Let us know how he does. I've got the room if he needs to come this way .
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King