The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default This dark bay racehorse...

So last night I was running a horse for a trainer I often do free lance work for to make extra $$. In the paddock were 2 other horses who obviously didn't want to run - the #1 horse was trying to flip repeatedly when they put the saddle on him. The #10 horse was doing the same thing - then wouldn't let them get his blinkers on til they grabbed an ear to hold him still. The horse I was holding was still, but worried. He had some huge pineapples for ankles. I looked at my program - he is a 9 yo who has earned $278K. His last 3 races were bad, with a win 4 starts ago, and a 2nd 6 starts ago. He raced poorly last night, only beating the #10 horse (who was another 9 or 10 yo).

So I am cooling this horse out for the trainer's wife, a very sweet lady. I asked her what would happen to this horse, if he kept running bad. She said apologetically that her husband would probably send him to the killers. I told her to let me know if her hubby was thinking about it and she promised to let me know. I am hoping that I can count on COTH to help if she comes to me and says "My husband will think about selling him to you instead of killers." I can supply a place and keep him for a few days, but I cannot keep him indefinitely. I dont know how politically correct it is to ask to help raise funds for him but I would love it we could buy him and some COTHer could take him and give him some time.

"Max" doesn't deserve that. He wouldn't be sound for jumping, just pleasure or trail riding. Maybe his ankles might be eventually fused enough for jumping, I dont know, doubt it - but it's possible. He is sore on his ankles (BOTH of them) and his back is sore from leaning back to get his weight off the ankles. His hocks are sore from trying to find a comfortable position to travel, and compensating and shifting weight around trying to be comfortable. He is body sore all over. But he is evenly sore left and right so he jogged well in post parade. His back end is causing him to break poorly - so he will keep running worse and worse because he keeps spotting the field a few lengths at the break.

I would say he would probably race him one or two more times - but he is eligible to race here 4 more times (unless he finishes a 4th or better, which earns him another 8 starts). He cooled out well enough last night, but was a bit more sore on his LF than his RF by the time he was done cooling out.

"Max" is approx 16.0-16.1, a lovely dark bay with a star and 2 rear socklets. He has a lovely head, with large jowls, a chiseled face, and big expressive eyes. Trainer's wife admitted that hubby would indeed send him to the killers when he feels the horse is done, and that will be very soon.

Please, I dont want to get into the slaughter debate here. I dont and wont mention names here because I dont want to offend the trainer in advance and insure the horse goes directly to the killers without a chance to buy him. I cannot afford to buy him myself - I have taken on Ace, who was killer bound if he went home after his race. And we are in the process of getting another retiring stakes winner as barn mascot/ stable pony. I just can't afford him, but I can be the go-between to purchase him and put him up until transportation is arranged. I don't know when the trainer will want to dump him. Maybe he will run him 4 more times until he runs out of eligibility. Maybe he will jump up and run a 4th and get re-eligible for another 8 starts. Maybe he gets good again and starts winning again. Maybe the trainer gives him a few months off and brings him back when he is sounder.

I dont want this to turn into a thread bashing this trainer either - he is the way he is and he is very successful. But he doesn't keep horses once they are no longer useful to him. Just the facts. I dont want to berate or insult him, but instead I would like to open this avenue to him and perhaps raise his awareness to a new possibility for lame/used up horses other than the killer truck.

I guess I am saying, what can we do as a group to help this horse? I can't help every single horse on the backside. But I want to help this one. He has earned those big pineapple ankles running out that $278K - he has paid his dues. The only thing standing between him and the killer pen is me, and hopefully the COTH family. I am fairly certain that in the kill pen Max would be passed over as a riding horse prospect based on his ankles. I can't help every single horse. But with the help of the COTH family I can help this one.

I wonder if this might be a good topic for a fundraising auction? I have some sets of shipping boots for miniatures - I could donate as a lot or individually. I can find some tack/sheets to add also - I have an ebay tack addiction and a couple boxes of unused, new stuff upstairs. I dont have the know how to run an auction, and I dont know what time frame because I dont know when he will decide to dump Max. I do need to be prepared to offer him cash on the spot, and it needs to be slightly more than killer price in order for him to have an incentive to go this route. I need to be respectful of this trainer and build a good relationship with him in order to try to pave the way for getting future horses into better homes. I would estimate he finishes off 3-4 a month, plus 2-3/ month of his snap their legs off on the track. Perhaps if he has a better option for them he will be less likely to ground them up getting that last bit of juice out of the lemon. And when the lemon is all squeezed up and dry is when it dries and cracks... just like their legs are more likely to break when they are physically run down and over extended.

Can someone help? Tell me to do, I need some support.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Hi Jessi, let me know when or if you get the horse and I will see if I can pull some strings and get him into TRF. They have a four month plus waiting list as well as a $2500 donation fee but have been known to make exceptions to both rules for sob stories. I would be very surprised if I couldn't get them to agree to take the horse for free in a timely manner, but I know they will not buy the horse and they will not pay to have him transported to one of their facilities. We would have to raise the money for that.
    Thanks for caring!

hobie, where is the horse?

If an auction was a go, I'd donate some racing books and old racing magazines I have. I was going to eBay most of them anyhow.

Poor old Max. He sounds like a sweetie. I lost last night's Form or I'd be doing some snooping right now! With that kind of $$$ in the bank, he likely ran at some big tracks.
    I'm wondering if anyone from his past might be willing to help. A friend of mine recently took in an old stakes winning gelding in NY. He fell and sliced himself up in the spit barn after a a $7500 claimer in NY. He'd been trained by a trainer I know and I offered to call him. She feared that the guy who had him when he fell (a decent sort, he's got an old racer for a pony right now) would come under pressure and be treated badly. She took him, had about 40 stitches put in him and is still nursing open wounds on his knees. She's an asst trainer and her BF is a trainer who gave her a stall.
    Well, she ran into that trainer friend of mine last week, introduced herself and told him about the old gelding. He'd been in Florida for the winter when this all happened and he immediately offered to help. He was heartbroken about "monty" and wishes he'd been told. I wonder if we could find and gently contact a past trainer or handler for help?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Default PM me Linny...

NM

I am going to keep his name anonymous but will post a synopsis of his race record. If someone snoops around enough and figures out who it is please don't post it on here or mention any names. I don't want to alienate the trainer in any way shape or form, and don't want them to be insulted either. Max is THEIR horse to do with however they choose, but I sure would love the option of getting him out of there if we could.

Max lives in West Virginia, close to Mountaineer Park racetrack, zip code 26050, approx 45 min W of Pittsburgh Pa.

Here is his race record thru 12-31-04, edited to take his name out. He has earned $278,211 to date with 57 starts, 17 wins, 7 seconds, and 7 thirds. Again, please don't mention any names. I don't want to make anyone angry or feel insulted.

He is a Seattle Slew grandson.

1997 B,g, 6 35 13 5 5 241,152 (103) 3.01
    North America 2 YO Record 5 3 0 2 39,080 ( 88)
    North America Dirt Sprints 35 13 5 5 241,152 (103)
    North America Muddy/Sloppy 3 0 1 0 3,450 ( 89)
    DP = 6-5-9-0-0 DI = 3.44 CD = 0.85 AWD = 5.73
    At 2 3rd Ambernash S. -L (75,000)
    At 3 Won Danzig S. (R) (O) (25,575)
    At 5 Won John J. Shumaker Handicap (R) (O) (30,500), 2nd Captain My
    Captain S. (R) (O) (53,850)
    Sold at Hip # Sales Price Sire Avg Rank Stud Fee
    FTMOCT 1998 205 $19,000 $6,610 ylg ( 1/10) $3,000
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

hobie cat.

do you have a CANTER rep in your area who might be able to help. If not, check with the closest CANTER you can find. They might be able to give you some advise or even contacts.

I think you are wonderful for wanting to help Max. I am praying that it all works out for the sweet boy.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Hobie, am sending you a PM
    " ...the mist parted, and there was a green land under a swift sunrise." J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King

I don't have any extra cash to donate right now (just rushed my filly to the clinic today in an emergency) but I do have a pair of closed front leather jumping boots I'd like to offer for the auction. They are buckle closures and have neoprene on the inside (worn once). The were originally $100 new and I got them for $55 at equine affaire. I can either take some pics and send them to you or just outright give them to you at the track. It's up to you. I'll also dig through my tack truck and see what else I might find to donate. Sorry I can't do more right now, hope that helps a little though.
    Last edited by jenarby; Jun. 28, 2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typos
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Let me know if you're going to do an auction I would love to donate some things to you. What about listing everything on e-bay? That might get the various auctions out there to more people than here on the BB.
    Do you have any idea what his asking price might be?

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs
    hobie cat.

do you have a CANTER rep in your area who might be able to help. If not, check with the closest CANTER you can find. They might be able to give you some advise or even contacts.

I think you are wonderful for wanting to help Max. I am praying that it all works out for the sweet boy.
    Yes, yes you do! I am a volunteer for CANTER MidAtlantic and the person who runs CANTER MidAtlantic is also a poster on this forum...I can't speak for her on the space/availability to take him in, but at a MINIMUM we can go get some pics of him and post him on the site for sale, we go to Charles Town all the time.

Can you find out if the trainer would be willing to go ahead and either list him for a price below $4K or perhaps (fingers crossed) even donate him to CANTER?
    "To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection."

I think we're talking about Mountaineer.

Didn't there used to be a Canter West Virginia?

Default Count me in

Hey Jessi,
    Count me in. I can scare up some $ or things to donate, I'm sure. Kudos for your diplomacy!
    CAJ

Count me in on some $ or auction items. These poor horses certainly deserve a decent home.
    PennyG

I know a wonderful lady in Spartansburg, PA. I adopted my guy from her and he raced at Mountaineer Park. Her name is Beverlee Dee and she runs Bright Futures Farm ( www.brightfuturesfarm.org ) . She will help anyway that she can!!

Hey everybody and thanks for the support.

I am at my Mothers and unable to log in to my regular Hobie Cat so I created this one. Thanks for bearing with me!

Boyleheights I will check out that website, thank you!

TKR thank you for donating, it means a lot.

Saskatoonian I know I can count on my friends, you are awesome CHris!

Libgirl yes this is MOuntaineer unfortunately there is no canter for us but Nancy does very graciously allow us to post Mnr horses on the canter site if they are close to the Ohio border.

Swale I wish I could get this trainer to put him up for sale on the site but I know there is no way he would deal with phonecalls etc.

Moonballad I am thinking $500 to 600 ought to do it.

Jen I appreciate the donation and you must tell us how Sealy is whathappened?

Charlieo can you copy and paste the PM and send it to Jessi P please? I cant get to my Hobie Cat Pms.... ugh,.

Not used to using a laptop either, typed out the first one and lost it so please forgive the grammar and spelling mistakes.

Luvmytbs thank you for the support.

Linny you are an angel! I dont have his past performances perhaps someone can look that up and we can find out his past trianers? This guy claimed him within the past year or so,. He has WON 2 stakes and had a 2nd and 3rd so perhaps those folks might help out. But I dont know how to look that up. If anyone does, please PM me and I will give you the info.

Laurie that would be SUPER if we can get him and place him with the TRF.. crossing my fingers. Or perhaps a COTHer will want him as a pleasure/trail horse.

Thanks again guys, more later (this puter is making me pull my hair out!).

Jessi

Count me in! I'm sure I can dig up some items for an auction.

Jessi, how often do you see the trainer or his wife? Would you be able to gently "remind" him of your offer whenever you see him? Maybe he's not like that, but I find a lot of the Suffolk trainers need to literally be reminded EVERY time we see them that we'll help with a particular horse.

Thanks for looking out for him. $278K - that's a true warrior and he deserves a happy retirement.

Default count me in

I can't offer him a home, but I can donate some $ to help prevent him from going to the killers...Jessi, that is awesome what you are doing for him...he sure deserves a nice retirement!

I can also donate some $$$...it won't be a huge sum but anything helps right?

If someone can Foster this horse at their place, The Exceller Fund may be able to work out a way to pay the purchase price (will be just above killer price) and also pay for the vet. What we don't have right now is the coin to pay board on another horse at the moment.

If any COTHers would like to auction items on eBay, you can now designate a portion of your auction proceeds to The Exceller Fund through eBay's Giving Works program.

http://givingworks.ebay.com/sell/

The Exceller Fund is listed under "T" (Yes - they filed us under "The")