The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Question U.S. Rollkur Riders

Who has seen anyone in the U.S. doing rollkur in the warm up ring at shows? What U.S. riders are practicing it? Does anyone have pictures or videos from this side of the pond?

Just curious...
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I used to train with a very talented rider who would use rolkur as one of the tools in the tool chest, not for every horse or all the time. But it was used one one of my horses with very good results. I also have to say that, in practice it was not at all what is being represented on the internet. I am reluctant to identify this person because of all the negative input regarding this technique. But there have been pics of this rider posted on here and the funny thing was, many of the anti people raved about how correct the horses and rider were. Go figure...
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

1 members found this post helpful.

I was actually looking for anyone who does what we've seen recently in the warm up videos from Europe. Not the short term use, but the long term training and warm up method displayed in the 11 video clips that are out here.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

That is one of my points. What is shown in those clips is not a true representation of the long term training method as it was explained to me or as I experienced it.

Well, I really didn't want this to go down the argument road. What those videos showed was the use of rollkur for a very long time in a warm up with no apparent change. I was wondering if anyone over here is using that method.

I'm just looking to see how accepted it is over on this side of the pond at this time. That was the reason for my post. I'm very curious. It seems to be spreading in Europe, so I was curious if anyone had seen anyone doing it here, at major or small competitions, for extended periods of time in a warm up.

Just checking on the widespread use here in the U.S. I'm sure some people use it at home, but do they do it at a show? And if so, do they use the method for those extended periods of time?

Not stalking, just checking on the spread and apparent acceptance of the method, at the moment, here in the states.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Kind of sitting on a high horse there, aren't you WPF? Judging my question and another person's ability to answer?

It's not loaded. If people think it's a good training method, then they would have no problem replying. If they don't agree with the method, I would think they'd be even more likely to speak up as well.

I'm still just curious to see how many people here are doing it publicly at the shows. Not arguing about the issue of rollkur itself, just seeing if Americans are out there doing it in public.

(Oh, and based upon what I know from people who are over in Europe all the time, even if those videos were slightly doctored, people are using it in the warm up over there and for very long periods of time--and more people over there are doing it. Thus the reason to see how the trend it over here.)
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Watch warm up arenas and see for yourself. If the videos were doctored, then so are my eyes in real time (or is that time warp, the clock wasnt really ticking).......
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I don't think the videos were doctored. However, I do think that a lot more goes into training those horses than what they show. As I understand it, this method is used very much the way von Ziegner describes it in his book; as a warm up method for high strung horses in a stimulating environment. In my expereince, it wasn't even used much at home. That is why I don't think it is really a training method. It is a tool that was used under certain circumstances.

My horse is pretty mellow at shows so we never used it in the warm up. But at home, she would fret about learning new things sometimes so it was used to keep her from locking her topline. As soon as she would give, usually about 3 to 6 strides, it was back to regular work. I asked my trainer why not warm her up like Anky? The response was "She isn't a powder keg at shows, she gives her back freely, so no need."

High on the conspiracy theory WPF? Please!!!

If it's a good method there should be no shame in it should there be? The question might be perceived as loaded but (read for comprehension) there is really nothing in it but sheer curiosity. Nothing wrong with that.

Exactly WHICH videos where doctored/ Please post the link. I watched several of these and saw no signs of doctoring... it is extremely hard to doctor video so that change is undetectable

Why would any trainer after reading what is being said on BB's lately ever admit openly that they use RK?

Any justifacation reasoning why is slapped down so hard its buried.. I can just see it. A list circulating, people going to farms and painting big red RK letters on the sides of barns of those who "admitted"....

Its your motives as to why you want to know who's doing what that raises the questions velet.

Frankly, as ideayoda said, go to shows. Then see if you can tell who is and isnt. What degree/percentage of rides they use RK. (true RK, not just deeper frames) Its not as easy to see as some would lead you to believe.

Default no conspiracy

I heard they were doctored, too, WPF - and that's why vids are not being posted now. I guess if you are high on conspiracy, lots of other people must be, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WPF
    Yes, of course that has been MsCreepers comeback following me around the internet for 8 months. It's getting old. How about coming up with a new insult, dear?
    I'm sorry???? Are you high on the paranoia trip too???
    I suggest you drop the persecution crap and get a life. There are many, many people on the internet that have many discussions with many opinions to which manyother people can agree or disagree. If each time someone were to disagree with someone else or make a joke about something stupid that was said we could scream bloody murder claiming to be "followed around"....yikes! Sad, truly sad.

Egad, this board has become even more vile over time. Such vituperative displays really are rather boring.

I didn't really want trainer/rider names. I wanted to know if people around the country were doing using this method. I can't be everywhere so I can't see every horse show.

I think it's time to get back to the subject and if you can't supply any information one way or another, you might want to go out and start your own thread that has something to do with attacking each other or bizarre conspiracy theories. This one is about whether or not people are seeing it practised around the U.S.

This will be consistantly repeated as the direction of this discussion. All other unwanted replies will be ignored.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Hey, WPF....if it walks like a duck, peeps like a duck and looks like a duck, must be a duck, right?

Quote Originally Posted by iancleese
    O oh can i get in on this too? i always wanted to be followed. How exciting! I can feel the hate I can feel it! Peeps will you stalk me too, please?

Sorry can't do. Apparently I'm booked solid for the year. But perhaps I can see if I can fit you into my busy schedule?

Talking

hey, I'm a stalker too.... Now, who am I supposed to stalk?

Mzpeeping Tom

HIJACKING is now over.

Please return to the topic at hand. Have you ever seen anyone in the U.S. performing this in the warm up ring for extended periods of time.

Thank you for your well considered replies.

(To all others.... )
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

I can honestly say I have not see it being used at all in a warm up here locally although I do know a couple trainers that "attempt" it.

Better answer?