The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Question Our own MODEL HORSE of WILLEM!!

OK, This started on the How do you show Breyers thread. Silly Pat gets the idea that we should have a COTH Special Run model horse from the Peter Stone Company. For the unaware, Peter Stone CO. makes plastic model horses similar to Breyers. One can actually commision a Special Run from them, and below is the e-mail I got from them about how to have it done.

[SIZE=2]Thank you for your interest in Stone Horses. We would be happy to work with
    you on a project like this. Here is a quick rundown on doing a special run:
    1. You submit a painted sample, pictures, or even a good verbal desciption
    of the horse, and the date you would like to have the run by. We will
    review it and see if it is too difficult to produce, or too similar to
    another item we have produced. If we accept the run, we will need a $500
    nonrefundable prototype deposit to create a sample.
    2. We send you a painted prototype (or email pictures) and a special run
    contract. We make any adjustments based on your review. When you approve
    the prototype you send the prototype and contract back to us.
    3. We determine the price based on your approved sample. If the price is
    acceptable, we ask for 50% down to schedule production. We then credit you
    for the $500 prototype deposit, and the balance is due prior to shipping.
    We do require a 100 piece minimum order. Any of our current large or medium
    scale models are available, although there are minor limitations. If you
    are interested in pursuing this further, I will put you in contact with
    Kellie, who handles our special runs, and she will be able to give you more
    particulars. If you have any questions, please let me know. You are also
    welcome to call us at 866-581-1370 (toll free).
    We hope to work with you soon.
    Sincerely,
    Doug Galbreath
    The Peter Stone Company

Ok, are we interested? As you can see, we must be willing to buy 100 of the critters. As well as raise the $500 deposit for the prototype. This *could* be raised as a pre-sale deposit from the interested parties, I guess. I'll have to ask around to see how others who have done this handled it. Hey, If I had $500 laying about doing nothing it wouldn't matter to me.

I will also have to inquire further as to the actual price of the sucker, but it will not be a $20 peice of junk. Expect the purchase price to be around $40- $50. Stones do generally cost more than Breyers, and it is a special run.

And an additional note for the non-collectors. YES, this is a collectable. Yes, it will for the most part be a one of a kind. Yes, it is likely to, but not necessarily, increase in value.

It was suggested by goeslikestink that proceeds go to an equine charity. I don't know exactly how to go about this, but I will start looking into that too.

Now we will have "creative control" over the appearance of the model. It does not have to be a particular horse, and even if we offer a real horse as the example, it will not be an exact duplicate of said horse. These are hand painted, but it is a factory.

Now, that all said, I would like to suggest a particular horse, er pony, we all know and love, Reynard Ridge's $700 Pony. Stone does have a pony mold. Oh, and of course, with RR's permission, of course.

SOOOO? Are we interested?
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Pat; Jun. 29, 2006 at 11:53 PM. Reason: update title

Now that sounds like fun! I should be able to scrounge the funds for a good cause, especially if I have plenty of notice!
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

If it's a COTH horse, its headset better be showing Rollkur or I don't want it!

While the $700 pony is a good idea, I submit that, if there is any one horse that best represents COTH it is Coreene's Willem. He not only kept us laughing and crying with his wit and wisdom while he was alive, but he raised the awareness of many many people to the dangers of Cushings with his passing.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Check with RR before using the $700 pony, and have her check with a lawyer. With the book, copyright on the pony's likeness in toy form may be reserved by the publishing company.

That said, great idea, and why not have the funds go to a charity COTHers have gotten horses through- Exceller, CANTER, Another Chance 4 Horses?

How about a Willem model if $700 pony doesn't work out?
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

no way you guys.. it absolutely needs to be a Gypsy Vanner. No question about it.

Butterflies an optional extra.

if i have enough advance notice and if i'm done saving for the barbaro model then i will probably be able to buy it or if i get enough money through my online store in my signature.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

Well, I want it to have a cresent shaped star, just because I like them. And a 'pulled' tail.

Maybe a mohawked mane?

i'm not really 'into' the model horse thing, but even i would HAPPILY pay for a model of Willem..... and then put him somewhere prominent to remind me of all the laughs and learning i have gotten from reading his posts in the favorites section!!!
    Fun equestrian t-shirts designed by a rider like you:
    http://skreened.com/laughinglion

i havent been around the bords all that long, but i like the idea of the $700 pony ; ).
    Tuffy 8 year old QH mare
    Dash 2 year old Halfinger gelding

I vote for Willem also.
    or or or
    a COTH designed horse named "Jingle"

I want a COTH "Jingle Horse"... that's too cute.... Does he jingle if you shake him??? Then we can send Jingle Horses to people who need Jingles...
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

caught between migraine madness and vestibular he**

I think Willem would be a fine representative for COTH.

I would def. check copy right if The $700 Pony is chosen.

Would the "Jingles" model be available with a curb chain? Some of us have been remiss in remembering to purchase one when placing orders. Perhaps instructions on turning said curb chain into a wearable charm bracelet also included?

I love the idea of the proceeds going toward an equine charity or (Cushing's) research. Perhaps one of the many CANTER horses adopted by COTHers can serve as a model should that org. be chosen.
    Member: "Collector of Quirky Equines", "Incredible Invisibles", "Proud to be a Mushroom Head", and "Addicted to Howrse" cliques.

COTHers & Friends on Howrse

Default no more stuff

I have too much stuff already!!!

If Another Chance 4 Horses is chosen, Embrace Reality would be happy to serve as spokeshorse and, if desired, model- and I would buy copies for all his friends! His story is quite interesting and recent, if anyone is interested in using him.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

Gosh, that's so sweet! Pat, I am truly touched (but you knew that already, didn't you?).

But without having read all of the replys yet (I've got some loose chickens I need to go catch) I would also cast a vote for Willem. He embodies the spirit of this board.

More later after I get the gol darned chickens rounded up.

LATER: OK, chickens rounded up.

The majority here are correct. The $700 Pony could not be reproduced or used in any way without the publishers permission. It is unlikely they would give it (for some very good reasons that are not worth going into here), so consider the Pony off the list of possibilities.

I vote Willem!!
    Last edited by Reynard Ridge; Jun. 23, 2006 at 08:04 AM.

Add me to the vote for Willem. I also would be willing to help put money down for a deposit, etc. Just let me know details.

What a cool idea! But as much as I loved Willem, I think - and this is just my opinion mind you - that there is no ONE special COTH horse. I can think of dozens of heart warming stories that have been posted about various "COTH" horses. How on earth could we pick just one? How about if we combines the traits of many, and named him Jingles, as Little Indian sugessted?

big HUGE HUGE votes for Willem!

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I like the Jingles idea. Although I can't think of a good physical representation for him, I think Freebird is right, there are a lot of special horses on here. Maybe we should take a week to get all good ideas in, then set up a vote thread with say the top 5 that people seem to like, and have the vote thread run for a week or two?

I stopped collecting Breyers years ago but I'd buy this one, especially if proceeds go to Canter or anotehr good organization.