The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

NOPE!Quit picking on me. I was rteplying to THIS!!!!

[QUOTE For those of you who found this discussion a waste of time, why are you posting on it? Move on, for crying out loud.][/QUOTE]

Well, I love an underdog...I have always owned Arabs. I don't ride Dressage yet, but I will be on an arab when I do.

I think the facination w/warmbloods is that they are so BIG that they make such a commanding presence. I know one person who does Dressage/Jumping that prefers arabs because there is "less horse" to bend around the course.

I just read the story of Russian Roulett+ in Arabian Horse Magazine and was once again blown away at how these animals excel outside their "specialty" areas.
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

Let me add this: I love a good WB as well. I absolutely love the big bouncy defined movement. I love the substance and height, and power and balance. My all time favourite is an Oldenburg I used to ride... she was fabulous! The softest horse I've ever ridden yet so naturally 'together', love her to pieces. I still prefer a WB for dressage... I have lots of positive experience on them. I rode Trakener, Holsteiner, Hano too... all of them are solid solid horses, most of them have a good mind almost tailored to sports. I was talking with a friend, we both agreed that a green even misbehaving huge moving WB, feel safer and more solid, than a TB or Arab of the same grade.

WB and Arab... they are totally different. Each horse has its own training challenges typical of the breed or atypical of the breed. I must say also, some WB are bred so big, I often wonder if the breeders are on drugs... I went to a show barn, everyone is riding those 17hh + horses even pushing 18hh... with their legs way up there, couldn't imagine it would be fun.

Also...and if I am wrong, plz don't chastize me..but can't a warmblood be half-arab?? Isn't a "Warmblood" breeding a "hot" breed to a "cold" one? So wouldnt say...a Percheon/Arab be a warmblood?

I always thought that would be SUCH a pretty combination...

I also want to say I am impressed that there are so many Arab fans in here!!!

Can anyone remember the name of that little arab stallion who competes at the Grand Prix level that was bought out of a kill pen for $220? I can't remember his name..
    I've got the 3 things men want. I'm hot, and I'm smart!

-The 6th Member Of The Bareback Riders Clique-

Quote Originally Posted by MyReality
    I was talking with a friend, we both agreed that a green even misbehaving huge moving WB, feel safer and more solid, than a TB or Arab of the same grade.
    You mean you feel safer on the WB? That's interesting. Although my Arabs can do a neat 180 and be going in the opposite direction before you know it. The drop shoulder 10 ft spook/leap to the side is an old favorite, too. I guess I'm used to it. What scares me is bottled up energy/tension and Arabs aren't noted for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MyReality
    I must say also, some WB are bred so big, I often wonder if the breeders are on drugs... I went to a show barn, everyone is riding those 17hh + horses even pushing 18hh... with their legs way up there, couldn't imagine it would be fun.
    The four at my barn are all well over 17h. One of the owners is a good friend and she's going to let me ride her sweet monster sometime, just so I can see the view from up there. Unfortunately, he's been lame most of the past year. I feel so bad for them both.

Egon ... I'm replying to the post that's above the post above this one (I think). And I ain't picking on anybody.

Move along, move along...nothing to see here.

HEY! Where's your pass??
    Jennifer Walker
    Proud owner of Capt Han Solo+, Arabian stallion http://www.capthansolo.com
    Author, freelance writer http://www.authorjennwalker.com

Isn't a "Warmblood" breeding a "hot" breed to a "cold" one? So wouldnt say...a Percheon/Arab be a warmblood?
    NO.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

twnk...good sense of humor!!

I added the photo link in the original post. I have been riding them about 3 days a week for the last month. prior to that they were strictly western (the black one) and "english" the bay one. (englich hinters, imagine high knees, no back/hindquaters, etc)

I think people have made this into a decent discussion, which is nice, because I never meant it to be a "X versus X". it was just an open opinion about both...which i had never heard before.
    Nothing worth having comes easily.

They look great...would love to hear more about them! They're gorgeous...I don't guess you know anything about their breeding or anything?
    Jennifer Walker

slc might not comment.

The horse looks fine, the rider needs a helmet.

As for the rest of this-I haven't yet met a western trained horse, that was well trained whoo was incapable of a First level test, right off the bat, with a little careful riding. Note I said well trained. Not some of those poor critturs you see out there with the ruined gaits.

Asbestos time.

"oooooh!!! ahhhh!!!!"
    Last edited by mp; Jun. 21, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Simple
    Just to generalize a bit, I don't think any breed (as a whole) has "quite" the same connection to humans as the Arab does. They were bred for hundreds of years to live right in the tents with humans. Every single breed on the planet has all their own strengths, traits, and qualities, but the Arab generally has just a "little bit" different personality than other breeds. I'm not necessarily saying it is better - but just different. No matter who I talk to about Arabs, they usually always say something about the Arab's personality, willingness, and trainability. Arabs just seem to yearn to please humans and to be next to them. It seems like whenever you walk out across a field of horses, the Arabs will usually be the first one to come up to you and then the most likely to follow you around for the next hour hanging over your shoulder. They just seem to truly adore human companionship and that is the major reason why I love them so much.
    TS, I can say ALL of that about my 3 year old Trakehner gelding, seriously. I love my boy, I love the Trakehenr breed (I also love the TB breed) and because I love them so much, I tend to think everyone should and that those who don't are blind. However, this is not a discussion of MY BREED IS BETTER THAN YOUR BREED.

I love a GOOD Arab, and of those good Arabs, I have noticed lately, most have been Polish. I am just as impressed with an athletic Arab as I am with an Athletic WB, or TB. I think sometimes, that Arabs don't alway get a fair shake, and I can relate to that with my own boy. Trakehners have tons of breed stereo-types associated with them as well. I have seen, and ridden several Arabs who had a NATURAL talent for dressage. I can say that, of all the breeds I have ridden, Arabs ALSO have an ENDLESS supply of evasions as well, putting to use their flexiblity/suppleness. But, boy, when they go to work, they GO to work. They can have a TON of presence, it is not just a matter of size.

The problem, try as you might, WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE have bought into the stereo-types out there about Arabs. It is a shame really, because, while I love my WBs, some people look REDICULOUS on them and would be better suited riding the smaller sporty model. Seriously. I am small, not quite 5'4, but I have LONG legs. I do not look small on Frodo, we fit, quite well in my opinion. I spent 16 years riding a narrow TB mare who was 15.3h on her tippy toes, I looked fine on her as well, and, I rode my best friends arab who managed to make it to 14.2h. It is a matter of taste, experience and willingness to venture off the beaten path.

After saying all of that, there are SEVERAL Arab/WB crosses that I have drooled over. They can REALLY compliment each other givien careful and attentive breeding. I am, of course, partial to the Arab/Trakehner cross. In fact, one of my favorite Trakehner stallions, OskarII, has quite a bit of Arab blood in him.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Default me,

i never liked arabs until i was given the opportunity to ride a young one and get him ready for his first baby distance ride(20km).

i have never met a horse who learned so fast, and seemed to read my mind at times.

i love my swb mares, love and have owned tbs, my first horse was a wonderful qh who i evented tl,

but my fave horse of all time was the horse i bought for my stepson: a half arab, half app mare whose personality was absolutely noble. (she was also a nice mover and a good little jumper, and anyone could ride her.)

I've got a wb and a non wb and they are both great guys who like to sleep in the tent trailer with us.

Quote Originally Posted by alysheba
    Also...and if I am wrong, plz don't chastize me..but can't a warmblood be half-arab?? Isn't a "Warmblood" breeding a "hot" breed to a "cold" one? So wouldnt say...a Percheon/Arab be a warmblood?
    No, an Arabian / Draft cross is never a Warmblood. But an Arabian of the right type can be graded (approved) into a Warmblood Registry and then produce Warmbloods when bred to an approved Warmblood. We have a few purebred Arabians and Anglo Arabs in our program and have been very happy with the results.

I've met a couple Arab/draft crosses who were lovely animals, but IMHO, it is a cross that has to be done carefully as regards individuals. Else you can end up with the worst of both breeds.

One was a Clyde/Arab cross.
    Scored consistently in the 60's through 4th level--unfortunately, the scores were an average of 4's and 8's--he did not like putting together an entire test.

The other was an Arab/Shire cross who was a good looking heavyweight hunter type, who was owned by a woman who rode him western pleasure. She loved Arabs, but was too big for a purebred.
    The mare was gorgeous, and might have made a good dressage horse, as she was a lovely mover.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

My lusitano might be small, short and fat but he can still kick all of your WBs, Arabians, TBs, DraftX etc. etc. 's butts.

He likes to look angelic and inocent when he first meets another horse and then wham! He turns into mean "super-sol" ready to kill. He'd take on any of ya'lls whimpy horses. hee hee hee

Check it out. He's ready for action:
    http://www.geocities.com/orgleoso/evil.html

There was an arab/perch cross at the last couple of arab shows I went to. She was a GREAT mover and really pretty.
    Jennifer Walker

exvet.

how tall are you that you went from riding Holsteiners to Welsh?

I'm 5'2". I had a couple of TB's (mares) & holsteiner (registered & approved) geldings & mares (C & R lines mostly) which ranged in size from 16.1 to 16.3 for the purpose of dressage as I mistakenly thought that "it" was the only path to get "there". I rode hunters for years before that and always had the notion that bigger was better; however, I also catch rode ponies for a former trainer too because of my size. The welsh I currently have or have owned are/were section D welsh cobs who range(d) in size from 14.1 to 15.2. The one exception was the welsh pony (section A) that my daughter started out on. He was/is 11.2 hands and I frequently hopped on him for a tune up. I can pretty much ride any size of beast but feel most comfortable on 14.3 - 15.2.

I'm so sorry. Laminitis is such an ordeal for both horse and owner. I wish you the very best with him.

Thank you MP. Things are still very touch and go right now. We appreciate any and all good thoughts.