The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I should also mention that alot of research goes into showing model horses of any flavor- if you're doing it right, you should be learning in the process

In showing, you need to assign a breed to show your model as. While some models will only pass as Friesians or Arabs or whatever, others you can be more creative with! And in halter classes, the models are judged to the standards of the assigned breed. A model shown as a Welsh Section B will be judged to those standards, etc. A Friesian model painted in a non-Friesian color will have to be noted as what cross could have produced it and the model will be judged to those standards. I could go on, but I think you get the point

And it is a fact that some model horse people know more about real horse genetics than real horse breeders do! One group I am with likes to jokingly reference a sport horse beeder who had a palomino stallion that she claimed was turning BLACK with age (instead of realizing he was greying!) A model horse hobbyist who breeds real Morgans is behind the Silver Dapple Morgan project which has brought the Silver gene in Morgans to knowledge. Model horse people often do lots of research and are responsible for inputting alot of pedigrees of rare or obscure breeds into the pedigree databases, and often fixing problems which others have made!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    Are you being this rude because it's a faceless BB, or are you just naturally like that? I'm guessing you have no hobbies, are not interested in art, and enjoy have fun at the expense of others.

He does collect HO trains, do you have a problem with that too? They are in boxes, I can't remember the last time they were on display. My point is that he is SUPPORTIVE GROWN UP, and doesn't feel the need to make fun, as you do.

Follow the links and learn something instead of poking fun. It's a far better use of your time.
    That's just the way Jetsmom is I think judging from her posts on a variety of topics here and on other boards.

Anyone interested in model horses and artists check out The Model Horse Gallery: http://www.modelhorsegallery.info/

And Jetsmom a typical card might read: Reining, Pattern (whatever), (picture of pattern on card with red X or spot where horse is), the section from the test the horse is doing (no reining patterns handy sorry!) like do 2 large fast circles in center of arena to right, then one slow, horse is on second fast circle. (or something like that) Cards can make or break an entry.

And hang on to your pocket books because to buy a very nice show horse and tack for 2 or 3 events would cost more than one of those Exceller horses from Fingerlakes shipped to Florida plus vetting! The elite level is very elite but the nice thing is there is a level for everyone.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

The tiny tack gets me... I adore it!!

When you say you make your own, can you tell us a bit more about it? I wouldn't even know where to start!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Here are some photo show performance pictures: http://www.modelhorsegallery.info/C/Coughlin/JCqh.html
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Well, thanks for Poltroon and Spookhorse!!

This hobby started with a bunch of people who had some Breyers and wanted to "get together." It eventually morphed into what it is today.

It sure lets you see outside your "world". I'm sure I know more about saddleseat and driving that the average H/J rider who's never done either.

Yup, I'm an adult with 8 real horses. I've worked in the industry since the early 90's and started riding at the age of 9. My parents couldn't afford a horse for me, but my mom made up for it with the plastic ones. I didn't get horses of my own until I was in my late 20's, so the plastic ones had to do until then.

I'm hardly ignoring my real horses in favor of the plastic ones. That's ludicrous. There are only so many daylight hours folks.

I am hardly insular (sp?). I CAN see how other people find it amusing. What I do find UNAMUSING is the fact that a few people here have gone out of thier way not to call it amusing, but to be rude and condescending. Especially when offered some information about the hobby, said information was twisted further into insulting remarks.

I don't make fun of people who collect Beanie Babies or anything else like that. I think there are more worthwhile collectables (since the bottom did drop out of that) but I certainly wouldn't insult them to thier face. Which is what happened here last night. You can speak your mind without being rude and mean spirited.

The COTH get together is in the Denny's in front of the Holiday Inn North, Thursday July 27, tenativly at 8pm. If I and any one else gets out of the show hall earlier, we can meet earlier. Anyone who can act like a grown up, you are more than welcome to come. Check in with the "Fess up, who's going to BF and NAN?" thread, that's where the time updates will be. There is also a possiblity of another meeting, not everyone will be in town Thursday night. Maybe a breakfast, same place? It's still fluid.

Thanks goes like stink!! I've only been offering tack for sale this year. The response to my work has been flattering and nearly overwhelming. I've already made one order sent to Germany, and have another to make that goes to Germany, another to England, and yet another to Canada.

Pat, people will make fun of anything.

I used to breed fighting fish- for every person who thought it was interesting and wanted to know more, there were at least two who made fun of me.

My ex asked me once to please not talk about it in front of his friends because it embarrassed him.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

My ex-SO breeds fighting fish, and he had that same reaction. I think it can be wonderfully interesting, if you're willing to open you mind to it. Same goes for model horse showing.

Pat, your tack is wonderful! Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make a saddle? How do you go about it?

I don't have much to add except THANK YOU to the folks in this thread who provided such great info about showing model horses. Although it doesn't sound like my cup of tea, it's something about which I had very limited knowledge. Just like I enjoy learning the basics about western pleasure, driving, conformation, and other "real life" horse fields that I don't personally participate in, it was great to learn a little about model horses too.

Default I have to weigh in a little here....

I didn't take any of the messages as rude or condescending and I've collected Breyers for almost 40 years! I don't show, but I know it is an exacting and expensive hobby (or profession?) when done at the highest levels....but I've been know to get teary-eyed with laughter when confronted with a $4.00 bag of scaled down horse poop for model stables!

C'mon guys, its FUNNY! Anything where grown people play with toys is FUNNY! It doesn't denote any less respect for the time & effort put in. If those of us who are hobbyists can't have some hoo-hahs at ourselves where are the good times?

Let's all lighten up some, ok?

Oh, and I will be at BF, and also at the COTH Denny's get together....men are at the HI bar right? 8 pm, see ya there!
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat

When you say you make your own, can you tell us a bit more about it? I wouldn't even know where to start!
    SMILE!

Alot of people don't know where to start, that's where the tackmakers come in! But seriously, I started out as a kid with scap leather and some leather lace, and some wire to bend into buckles. I've come a looong way.

There are books on the subject, the best being Sue Bensema-Young's. "The Guide" is partly geared to the beginner, but the more proficient can still find good advice in it. Sue held my hand thru my first harness, I got to Beta test that chapter. I'm still working on perfecting working buckles, which she also explains. It's harder than it looks, buckles that small are hard to hold onto. Never mind punching holes that small without tearing the strap. OY!

My saddles started from a pattern book written by another hobbiest. I made few "her way", then changed the patterns and procedures to suit my ideas about the way a saddle should look.

I don't make anything smaller than "Classic" scale (1/12 or dollhouse scale) and I only do that size when I feel like it. Any thing smaller gives me the heebie geebies. I'd rather just buy it from someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated
    Pat, people will make fun of anything.

I used to breed fighting fish- for every person who thought it was interesting and wanted to know more, there were at least two who made fun of me.

My ex asked me once to please not talk about it in front of his friends because it embarrassed him.
    I know that, but there's a difference between being funny and being nasty. I feel the line was crossed, repeatedly.

Tell me more about the fish, I'm assuming you mean Beta's? I tried so FREAKIN' hard to breed mine, read every book, and nada. I gave up. I haven't even had the tanks set up in years. Mostly got tired of hauling around my 12 inch pleco every time I moved. Yup, 12 inch. When he finally croaked, I quit the fish habit.

Thank you for the info Pat!

Please pardon my ignorance, but how big is 1/12 scale in inches/CMs? I can't work it out- mind's fuzzy from my wonderful painkillers!

I'll have a look for the books you recommended.

Rio Rondo Enterprises (http://www.riorondo.com/) has made it easy for newcomers to start making tack by selling a basic starter kit of sorts which includes the leather, lace, resin saddle tree, and patterns to get started. When making the tack, you are free to customize it in any way such as stamping or tooling the leather (you can get directions from RR free, and buy the stamps there or at someplace like Tandys) adding pewter or silver plates, cast bits, etc. Oh, and you need to dye it for realism! Rio Rondo's owner, Carol Williams, is one of the pioneers of truly realistic minature tack and has made a business of helping others do the same

For research, I used real working western tack catalogs and tried to reproduce what I saw that I liked and did my own sort of thing on the gaming set in white with black accent, braided and sewn, using Rio Rondo buckles and such. My saddle was based off a Circle Y working saddle so I did some light designs in the edges of the skirts and fenders along with the Circle Y brand on the bottom of the fender. Mine is a working saddle as I mentioned, so it does not feature anything fancy, though I later did a Western Pleasure saddle for a friend in light oil and silvered with a beaded bridle.

I have also done a parade set and a saddle seat set. Did the saddleseat set with directions from Susan Bensema Young's book (http://pages.prodigy.net/sbytsii/tsii/) Susun is another pioneer in the model horse tack industry- she has worked hard producing quality stuff including some awesome Peruvian tack sets!

Heather Abounader here in KY makes gorgeous tack and has been commisioned by a Wesern museum to make reproductions of some of their real saddles. I believe the repros will be sold in their gift shop as art pieces!
    (http://www.desertnightcreations.com/) Heather got started with Rio Rondo stuff and found her niche

Jennifer Wilson creates gorgeous Arabian native costumes: (http://www.jennifersimagination.com/)

Some people find inspiration making tack, some in sculpting, others in painting. Some are good at lots of things, others prefer to buy than create... whatever floats your boat, but all are welcome if you leave your attitude at the door

My ex-SO breeds fighting fish, and he had that same reaction. I think it can be wonderfully interesting, if you're willing to open you mind to it. Same goes for model horse showing.

Pat, your tack is wonderful! Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to make a saddle? How do you go about it?
    Oh, not including pattern cutting and dyeing/drying time, about 8 hours. Give or take, if it's plain flapped, that eliminates several steps. I have the procedures down well now, and I can actually work on several at once if needed. Bridles are harder, since they really need to fit individual horses. You'd be surprised the differences in the heads!

There is a book, I mentioned it, not by name, that I used to start my patterns. (urh, might be wrong) www.keriokeentertainment.com She has written several books, western, western parade, and she's working on an Aussie saddle too. She sells her prototypes on eBay, to recoup the cost of materials. She makes alot of duds before coming up with a repeatable pattern and procedures! You couldn't show with them, they are usally funny colors and such, but they give a good tutorial in the assembly.

Thank you for the link- fascinating site!

Those tack makers... just wow! I've only had a quick look, will go back and have a good look once I've posted this.

Thank you Pat! The link you posted dosn't work .

Ah, and I'll just add a link to my own finishwork pages:

http://geocities.com/spookhorse01/

I do have to add some recently completed horses so it's not *quite* up to date, but it will do

Thank you for the info Pat!

Please pardon my ignorance, but how big is 1/12 scale in inches/CMs? I can't work it out- mind's fuzzy from my wonderful painkillers!

I'll have a look for the books you recommended.
    One inch equals one foot. I just grabbed a classic horse, he's cantering, not standing square, but he's about 7 inches at the ear tips, if that helps.

There are several scales, I don't have the list of conversions handy, but I can look for it if you want.

Hee hee, this is it, www.keriokie.com Didn't need the entertainment part.

Quote Originally Posted by spookhorse
    Ah, and I'll just add a link to my own finishwork pages:

http://geocities.com/spookhorse01/

I do have to add some recently completed horses so it's not *quite* up to date, but it will do
    Link didn't work

OK, another serious model horse hobbyist checking in here to lend support.....

In addition to the fine hobby references presented by Pat & several others, I'd like to bring up another point. This hobby is a great way for families to spend wholesome time together! I have been privileged to have been a judge at Breyerfest Youth/Children's show for several years. The show usually attracts around 125 kids. It is a positive JOY to interact with all these horse loving kids and their very supportive parents! Though some hobbyists are lucky enough to have horses, there are also MANY who are not. Collecting models is a super outlet for horseless horse lovers as well as those of us who do own the real thing, but just can't seem to get enough "horse" in our lives!

The kids at Breyer shows are learning a great deal about horses by their collecting. Many have made simply amazing performance setups and dioramas that you know took a lot of work, imagaination, and research to present. Here's some very supportive parents working with their kids in a very positive way. Who can possibly make fun of THAT???

For those who may say that once you are a grownup that it's wierd to collect model horses....I say "phooey"! 7 years ago I sold most of what I had of my childhood collection plus what I had collected up to that point (I collect vintage Breyers & nice chinas/earthenware) in order to pay $20,000 worth of vet bills acquired to save my premature twin TB/Hano filly Gracie. Yup, a silly thing like model horses was able to raise moolah like that. I'm slowly buying a few pieces here and there, and I know if I am ever in financial need again they can easily be sold, as they are an investment as well as art.

And no, my 5 real horses do not suffer because of my model horse involvement!!

I'll be missing you guys at BF for the 3rd year in a row, sniffle! Can't find anyone reliable to farm sit. Have fun!!!

Julie H
    Gracie's Mom