The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default SPINOFF: How do you "show" Breyers?

Sorry to spin off iheartbuea, but didn't want to derail her thread.

How exactly does one "show" at Breyerfest? I picture all these people huddled around a table and someone "cantering" their little plastic horse around and over a jump course - *OOPS*!!! Took a rail down - four faults!

Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

In Model classes only.

They are really well behaved. No spooking or anything. In fact, they stand as still as statues.

oh my god..... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah aha

i have some old barbie horses.. maybe i can join in. I used to pretend the square tiles on the floor of my bedroom were stables... i had whole shedrows with tackrooms and feed rooms.. oh yes. i had plastic hay bales and buckets and plastic grain. Yes i did.

for Breyerfest it is a Live show that means that you set your model down and the judge looks and awards certain models based on conformation, realism to the breed, condtion etc. For performance you get all these little tiny saddles and bridles and set up a scene like for example you have a horse riding Dressage in a mini saddle and bridle and part of arena and then you make a small index card explaning what the horse is doing.

i will have to explain the rest when i get home since I'm not on my computer at home.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

I find this very intriguing. How well attended are Breyerfest Shows?
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

probably like star wars conventions i'd imagine.

So how do they judge confirmation when they're all horses made out of a mould like peas in a pod? ?

Coup de Des, I think people take this very seriously in the USA. I understand your mirthful attitude, but some might not take to kindly to it.

Evidence: http://www.breyerhorses.com/breyerfest/

Welcome to the 17th annual BreyerFest®, the largest gathering of model horse lovers in the world! Join us for a fun-filled weekend of ‘Extreme Equestrianism,’ ‘Trickonometry,’ model horse showing, swapping and shopping, plus pony rides, model hobby activities, social events and more! Spend the weekend with your friends, families and horses, and we guarantee that you’ll make a lot of new friends too!
    This appears to be a very big deal. One that I would like to learn more about.

ok so I"m home now. People take model horse stuff very serioulsy like I do, well not that seriously. Every model is diffrent even if is the exact same model, there are little marks and other things that make your model special.

For photo shows you have to have a perfect horse and a perfect picture. for halter you just take a picture of the model in good positon uslally sideways. for peformance you need a scene. Give me a couple of minutes and I will post some examples of photo show pictures from a recent photo show I entred.

iheartbuea
    iheartbuea

here are some photos I took for the recent show I entred. I am new to the whole model horse show scene so these are NOT proffosinal pictures by any means. I am still getting the hang of ajusting the tiny tack.

http://www.s29.photobucket.com/album...t=fcd7f2fa.jpg

^^ this photo won the ponie halter class

http://www.s29.photobucket.com/album...t=a9976032.jpg

^^ this photo got sencond place in the heavy horses halter class

http:/www./s29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/iheartbuea/?action=view&current=836c8674.jpg

^^ this photo did not place in the english diciplines class, it is of show jumping

http://www.s29.photobucket.com/album...t=393ca551.jpg

^^ this photo did not place in the western dicipline class, it is of western pleasure

hope i helped
    iheartbuea

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong
    Coup de Des, I think people take this very seriously in the USA. I understand your mirthful attitude, but some might not take to kindly to it.

Evidence: http://www.breyerhorses.com/breyerfest/
    oh it's cute.. i know that. Just kookie.. like people that buy cheese sandwhiches that look like jesus.

i really enjoy doing real and model horse stuff b/c when i'm not at my real barn i can be at my model horse barn. i say do whatever hobby floats your boat, model horses seem to float lots of peoples boats.

iheatbuea
    iheartbuea

I’m not going to get cranky. I’m not.

But I don’t like the hobby being referenced in the same breath as people who buy sandwiches that look like Jesus. That wasn’t nice.

First to plug myself: http://community.webshots.com/user/opengatefarm I make tack

To plug my most favorite tack maker: http://pages.prodigy.net/sbytsii/tsii/

The “national” organization: www.namhsa.org I can’t find the link, but the results and photos from last year’s NAN are floating around the NAMHSA site.

Where I get most of my hardware from (bits, buckles) www.riorondo.com She also sculpts beautiful horses and her QH stallion is one of the earliest resins and has been since lisenced to be produced by the Peter Stone CO. in plastic.

French guy that makes beautiful saddles http://www.haras-de-falde.com/

Jennifer Danza, who uses pastel dust instead of paint on horses: http://www.danzaanddanza.com/wfframe.html

Morgen Kilborn, who sculpts horses that she has cast in resin. www.artbymorgen.com

Well, that’s what’s in my favorites right now.

Oh, and iheartbeau did say it, but I'll say it again.

No, no "cantering" your horse around a table. The basic concept is a moment frozen in time. You set up a horse, tack, and related props to represent a frozen moment of a horse 'doing' something. Realism is emphasized, and written explainations of unusuall events are encouraged. Explaination cards show the judge you know what you are talking about. Tack (for the most part) doesnt need to be extravagant, just accurate.

For breed/halter classes, the horse is judged on conformation (and color) against the breed standards, just like in the real world. That means no palomino Freisans, or Clydesdales with out feathers. :0 Original finish plastics get a little slack, but the resins and original sculptures don't!

Hitch, since you live in Lexington, you can come to the COTH get together at the Denny's in front of the Holiday Inn North, Thursday after NAN is over. I think we've decided on 8 pmish.
    And you can go to BF at the KHP, and you can just buy a regular admission to the park. The BF ticket costs more and if you're not interested in the "Dinner Horse", there's no need to spend the $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat
    I’m not going to get cranky. I’m not.

But I don’t like the hobby being referenced in the same breath as people who buy sandwiches that look like Jesus. That wasn’t nice.
    oh please.. it's cute! i think i could make some really cute scenes and stuff. Fine, it's not like people buying jesus sandwiches.. it's like people who build cities out of leggo, Happy?

No, not really. Look at the links. A very large amount of time, research and attention to detail go into this stuff.

So for explanations on what your horse is doing, I guess writing on the cards..

"Fluffy, standing with no tack"
    " Fluffy standing with tack."
    "Fluffy, standing in front of a jump with tack"

isn't quite what they are after??????

Sorry, it just seems really whacked to me. But whatever floats your boat. Seems like something fun for the 12 and under kids, but adults doing it just seems strange. Kind of like those "fake baby doll" meetings where people bring dolls and all kinds of props.
    Could you imagine being a man on a date, and being told that your date has a Breyer model show they need to go get ready for? I'd be running for the hills!

Hey, no need to be rude or sarcastic. Maybe you should check it out before being mean.

No explaination cards are to used illustrate the more unusal events. Not everyone has seen everything. Or for dressage. It's not suffiecient to put black tack on, call it dressage and walk away. You need to say what level, what test and what movement. If your entry says halt at x, and the horse is trotting, well, you guessed it, you wont be getting a ribbon.

Oh, and smarty pants, my BF had never heard of it before. He doesn't think it's weird or whacked. He's very supportive, actually.

Well, it's nice that he let's you enjoy your "sport". It probably gives him time to go to 1/18th scale NASCAR races or something....

I'm really glad you enjoy it, but I can't stop laughing at someone showing a model in Dressage, and what test!!!!!!Muuhhaaahhhhaa!!!!!!!

As an adult collector of both Breyer AND Lego I take offense....I don't show but I know folks online who do. Its a hobby...do you enjoy when people who don't get horseback riding make stupid comments? As for lego, people are serious about those as well.

People who do show either are artists or they buy from artists. Those artists work with different mediums, sometimes sculpting their own resins that take tons of work. If you want take a look at some of the custom models that sell for hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars, they constitute many man hours of work, to make breathtaking piece of art.

Breyerfest right now I think is pretty much sold out. The hotels around the Park are booked solid months in advance. So I think those people take it pretty seriously, they put their money where their mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom
    Well, it's nice that he let's you enjoy your "sport". It probably gives him time to go to 1/18th scale NASCAR races or something....

I'm really glad you enjoy it, but I can't stop laughing at someone showing a model in Dressage, and what test!!!!!!Muuhhaaahhhhaa!!!!!!!
    Are you being this rude because it's a faceless BB, or are you just naturally like that? I'm guessing you have no hobbies, are not interested in art, and enjoy have fun at the expense of others.

He does collect HO trains, do you have a problem with that too? They are in boxes, I can't remember the last time they were on display. My point is that he is SUPPORTIVE GROWN UP, and doesn't feel the need to make fun, as you do.

Follow the links and learn something instead of poking fun. It's a far better use of your time.