The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Default 0

Enough is enough!
    Last edited by Susan P; Jun. 21, 2006 at 11:40 PM.

What a great site (well sad, but great because it just shows it as it is).
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Exclamation GRAPHIC SITE- do not look if you can't handle such

IT IS A VERY GRPAHIC SITE!!! For those of you that cannot tolerate such things, please do not go there.

Susan P, there is your train wreck, for NOT informing people of this fact! Good grief, you should know better than not to post the warning!

SusanP - .

The images are horrible - and so is the cruelty of horse slaughter.

A few years ago, I had little knowledge of the conditions of horse slaughter. I was leafing through my Practical Horseman, when I came upon a page - no warning there - that contained graphic images of horse slaughter - one of a horse being clubbed on the head, and one of a horse strung up on a meathook. It brought me immediately to tears. I was horrified that PH would post these. But those images were seared in my mind, and it was them and the accompanying article that made me realize the terrible things that were happening to these majestic animals and that I had to take a stand against this barbaric practice. KUDOS to PH for doing that and KUDOS to you SusanP.
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Wow thats heartbreaking
    On the same note...thats exactly the same thing millions of cattle and pigs go through every day here so we can eat them..no difference in my books, well except for the fact that pigs are smarter than horses and are confined their entire lives. How can you criticise this if you eat animals???

Because the horses are being slaughtered using cattle methods which are not humane for HORSES. That is the problem.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Uh!? Friesiandriver, how can you say that there is a lot of similarities between horses and pigs when it comes to slaughtering? From what I hear, slaughterhouses for pigs have improved.

I cannot help but rephrase what a writer wrote in the Bible - do not kill beast of burden. Those horses do not deserve to be killed.

I cannot look and read after I saw four pictures. It is just toooo upsetting.

Please change the heading! Please change it I beseech you. I really want to bring those horses home.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Susan P, you know as well as I do that I am NOT one of the folks that wastes time bashing your cause, and in general, I am anti-slaughter too. However, if you choose to disseminate your infomation through a discussion forum, you should be prepared for and expect DISCUSSION.

While I agree that the pictures on that site are not only graphic but also extremely emotionally upsetting, I would ask why in the heck you (or any other anti-slaughter person who is worth their salt) would want to be associated with such a poorly designed web site. Without any author info, photo credits, and an appallingly bad web design, I'd say that web site has about ZERO credibility. I'm not saying that the photos are fake--I completely believe that they are real. However, without any photo credits or web site author information, who knows who wrote that site!? It's the equivalent of a businessperson writing their grant proposal in crayons. IMHO, it makes anti-slaughter folks look live overly-emotional, disorganized people with a poor defense. Such a noble cause deserves better than that.

If anti-slaughter folks want to have their voices heard, perhaps they should think about presenting their case in the most professional manner possible, and that means presenting their case in a polished and logical manner. A web site with a bunch of random, non-attributed pictures and (to my great amusement) an interjected treatise about how "Illegals pay little to no income tax" isn't going to convince ANYONE who isn't ALREADY anti-slaughter to join your crusade.

Maybe you could contact the web site owner and help them clean up the site and better attribute its sources so that the web site would better make its point? Imagine how much more powerful the site would be if it attributed the photos to specific photographers, locations, news articles, and so forth.

Uhm I can say that because Iv'e done enough investigating when it comes to pig and cattle slaughter . I used to have a pig...it was by far smarter than my mothers shutzhund german shepards(and she sold the not so great ones to the police) and she will vouche for that too. Most animal behaviorists will say the same thing..pigs are one of the smartest animals in the world. On factory farms, mother pigs are kept in cages so small they cannot even move, and all pigs lived crammed together, never seeing the light of day, poked, prodded, cut up ect. Cattle move down the disassembly line just like horses, after they get a bolt in the head, and from what I have learned, alot of them don't die right away.They (both pigs and horses) are transported to slaughter in the same manner. I don't know how many times Ive been driving down the highway in minus 25 degrees celcius weather to see pigs or cattle crammed together in an open concept trailer. Don't kid yourselves...it's extremely hypocritical and egocentric to put horses in a loftier possition in terms of capacity to feel pain and to suffer. The only difference is WE ( and yes, me too) like horses much more. But personal preference shouldn't play a role in ones ability to recognise cruelty and abuse.

I hope he would take any suggestions and uses them wisely.
    Oh, good luck with that. The guy turned into a raving lunatic when I asked (politely) that he stop posting the off-topic illegal alien news and rants to horse lists.

And check out the intro to his YahooGroups list which starts out:

"These are the foreign Geeks from Europe that wants yours and my horses to eat."

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SaveDaHorses/

I dunno - if I were picking an anti-slaughter site and list, I'd find one that was just a tad more ... educated and less emotional.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

He sounds nutso! It will be difficult for people to listen to him.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Excellent site. Thanks for posting it. I have seen it before and it really shows how they are mistreated.
    This needs to be shown. Most people just hide behind the truth.

THANKS FOR POSTING !!!
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

I have to agree with jn4jenny- that website is really bad. Just what is a BelgiuM horse? Are they related to Belgian horses? And the horse being "forced off the trailer"- it looks like it fell (for whatever reason) and they're trying to get it up. Very PETA-like.

I don't like slaughter one bit, but I'd rather a horse go through a few days of Hell than be neglected and starved for years because slaughter was not an option.

As Anti-slaughter as I am, that web site made me hope that people "on the fence" don't go there. The site has so many spelling errors, and strangly placed "non resident alien tax" info' that it looks like it was put together by someone that was off his meds. It would make me question the credibility of any of the info there, if I hadn't done my own research already.

OMG! Was that site put together by an 8 year old????

The owner should choose another cause to fight for.....LITERACY!
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal
    The owner should choose another cause to fight for.....LITERACY!

[QUOTE=shakeytails] Just what is a BelgiuM horse? Are they related to Belgian horses?

Belgium is a country. If you come from Belgium you are a Belgian. If the guy wants to call them Belgiums, so what, it's one in the same.

Even though it may be a crude web site at least this person has tried to make a statement. It may be amateurish but it's way more than many "anti-slaughter" advocates have done. Who cares where the photos originated from, if you look closely or have followed any larger anti slaughter websites you will see many of these photos have been used before by well known groups such as the Humane Farming Association. These are clearly legitimate photos and they speak for themselves, they don't need endorsing by anyone. Why is it that so many of you sit there, the proverbial armchair experts,full of pessimism and you sit and systematically pull something that has good intentions to pieces. Instead of slamming the guy for spelling errors, poor continuity, misplaced information etc, why not try to view it for what it is, a picture show of what horses endure in slaughter houses. The information on non resident aliens was to make the point that many of these foreign owned plants do not pay income tax.
    I would have thought that the point of this thread was for "discussion" of the slaughter issues, not whether or not the fellow has an award winningly designed website.

If a website is so poorly put together that what sticks out to the intended audience is poor writing, etc then the web designer had failed in his/her mission.

I won't even get into the illegal alien thing - just proves that someone can tie horses (or whatever) into any blessed thing they want if they try hard enough.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

No offense SusanP - but this is a discussion forum. Expect debate or take the slaughter stuff elsewhere.

Personally - I'm getting a bit peeved that part of my COTH subscription dues as well as my premium membership are going towards free advertising for anti-slaughter politics.

As far as this guy goes - yeah - this is one of the reasons I'm more moderate on slaughter than I used to be.

Anti-slaughter folks need to rethink about what they're doing - because I know I'm not the only one getting upset about the slaughter politics taking over so much of this forum. There are plenty of sites and BB's devoted to this issue - if I wanted to hear about it all the time I'd go visit those.

But this - this is part of my subscription to a respected horse publication and as a subscriber - it's starting to annoy me.