The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 154 of 154
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Posts
    22,427

    Default

    I didn't say they were getting more out of a hot horse.

    I said maybe the horse didn't like its job and needed to do something else.

    You'd think all these top riders would be able to get their hands on nicer horses than rogues.

    Quote Originally Posted by nhwr
    To me a hot horse is sensative and prone to be over stimulated easily. But who says hot=difficult neccessarily?

    And yes sm it is interesting how a good rider can get more out of a hot horse. Salinero was basically labelled as a rogue before Anky got him



  2. #142
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2004
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhwr
    And yes sm it is interesting how a good rider can get more out of a hot horse. Salinero was basically labelled as a rogue before Anky got him
    if i remember correctly, I read that Salinero has been in AVGs barn since he was a yougn horse. he was bought after he placed at the Bundeschampionships (sp) as a jumper prospect for one of AVG/SJs clients. once AVG/SJ got a look at him working they decided to keep him themselves..... there was not one word mentioned about him being a 'rogue"

    I will seee if i can find this interview..... I *think* it was here on the COTH....



  3. #143
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2004
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belambi
    belambi - i am curious what your point was in posting this pic??



  4. #144
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2006
    Posts
    14

    Default

    MBM, I recall reading the same thing you did about Salinero. He was a top young horse. Anky didn't like him, not because he was a rogue, but because he was boring. Her own stable girl said that he is very quiet in the stables, and very laid back, if I recall the interview correctly. Ergo, he must be ridden to be "hot". Elsewise, why would he be so explosive and require such harsh riding?

    I read on one of the bulletin boards one time, someone once noted that they had never heard of AvG ever riding a mare to any level of competition. At the time, nobody really responded to it. Some might not have understood the significance of the statement. I wonder if the "straightjacket" training style would get beyond the first week with a mare. They are the ultimate "fairness nazis" and will absolutely rebel against person who tries to bully them, unlike most geldings, and even many stallions.

    Because if rollkur is not abuse, it's certainly bullying the horse into submission.



  5. #145
    Join Date
    Jan. 25, 2004
    Location
    Milton, Ontario
    Posts
    1,435

    Default

    SGray: Maybe they should be ridden in a snaffle although I don't think it would bring the refinement that the double allows.
    I just think that it is not good to blacklist a method of training because some people do it poorly.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    869

    Default

    something weird going on on this bb..I posted that link on another thread..basically pointing out that even those who are referred to as super classical riders..have moments of dachsundness,,
    dont know how it ended up here?



  7. #147
    Join Date
    Apr. 5, 2006
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by belambi
    something weird going on on this bb..I posted that link on another thread..basically pointing out that even those who are referred to as super classical riders..have moments of dachsundness,,
    dont know how it ended up here?
    I didn't see where you said that, I seriously thought he looked like one! Great minds think alike

    http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard...0thumbnail.JPG
    apparantly with dachsund moments in a trot you can still have suspension
    Last edited by Jeepers; Jun. 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM.



  8. #148
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2004
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beejoux
    MBM, I recall reading the same thing you did about Salinero. He was a top young horse. Anky didn't like him, not because he was a rogue, but because he was boring. Her own stable girl said that he is very quiet in the stables, and very laid back, if I recall the interview correctly. Ergo, he must be ridden to be "hot". Elsewise, why would he be so explosive and require such harsh riding?

    I read on one of the bulletin boards one time, someone once noted that they had never heard of AvG ever riding a mare to any level of competition. At the time, nobody really responded to it. Some might not have understood the significance of the statement. I wonder if the "straightjacket" training style would get beyond the first week with a mare. They are the ultimate "fairness nazis" and will absolutely rebel against person who tries to bully them, unlike most geldings, and even many stallions.

    Because if rollkur is not abuse, it's certainly bullying the horse into submission.
    You found out that you were on everybody's ignore-list, and decided to create an alter



  9. #149
    Join Date
    Sep. 16, 2005
    Posts
    995

    Default Salinero's reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nhwr
    And yes sm it is interesting how a good rider can get more out of a hot horse. Salinero was basically labelled as a rogue before Anky got him
    But then we had posters from Germany, Kareen in fact: vet/trainer/breeder who posted that Salinero did the young horse championships and was not noted for having problems. That reputation as a rogue was acquired once he was bought by an American and ended up with Anky who thought he was just too big and fat to want to ride.



  10. #150
    Join Date
    Jun. 17, 2006
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsedances
    You found out that you were on everybody's ignore-list, and decided to create an alter
    Theo, aren't you the one that used to have the signature quote about a lie traveling twice around the world before the truth gets his shoes on? Now you are the one spreading rumors and lies, but then again, that's what you do, isn't it? You throw out little lies here and rumors there, and watch the train wrecks happen... :roll: Why don't you try truth once in a while?

    Quote Originally Posted by Horsedances
    Watching all these sophisticated and well behaving horses is like watching the gras grow.
    This is a very sad statement. If watching Dressage is like watching grass grow, then the spectators should be watching jumping or something. Why do we have to pervert Dressage to make it more exciting for the spectators?



  11. #151
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    31,404

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beejoux
    MBM, I recall reading the same thing you did about Salinero. He was a top young horse. Anky didn't like him, not because he was a rogue, but because he was boring. Her own stable girl said that he is very quiet in the stables, and very laid back, if I recall the interview correctly. Ergo, he must be ridden to be "hot". Elsewise, why would he be so explosive and require such harsh riding?

    I read on one of the bulletin boards one time, someone once noted that they had never heard of AvG ever riding a mare to any level of competition. At the time, nobody really responded to it. Some might not have understood the significance of the statement. I wonder if the "straightjacket" training style would get beyond the first week with a mare. They are the ultimate "fairness nazis" and will absolutely rebel against person who tries to bully them, unlike most geldings, and even many stallions.

    Because if rollkur is not abuse, it's certainly bullying the horse into submission.
    EEK I think I'm gonna thow up!

    But feeding grain till it comes out of their ears will warm them up, too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.



  12. #152
    Join Date
    Jan. 30, 2003
    Posts
    2,529

    Default

    You don't crank and spank a hot horse in warm-up, doing everything possible to build tension. You can spend 40 minutes pushing all the buttons to get a mild horse "hot" though. Or a horse trained to the point of being a robot "hot." I've seen Sal's expression enough, he's been bullied IMHO. Yes, this makes perfect sense:

    ****

    post 144:"MBM, I recall reading the same thing you did about Salinero. He was a top young horse. Anky didn't like him, not because he was a rogue, but because he was boring. Her own stable girl said that he is very quiet in the stables, and very laid back, if I recall the interview correctly. Ergo, he must be ridden to be "hot". Elsewise, why would he be so explosive and require such harsh riding?

    I read on one of the bulletin boards one time, someone once noted that they had never heard of AvG ever riding a mare to any level of competition. At the time, nobody really responded to it. Some might not have understood the significance of the statement. I wonder if the "straightjacket" training style would get beyond the first week with a mare. They are the ultimate "fairness nazis" and will absolutely rebel against person who tries to bully them, unlike most geldings, and even many stallions.

    Because if rollkur is not abuse, it's certainly bullying the horse into submission."

    ****
    Last edited by sm; Jun. 20, 2006 at 07:17 AM.



  13. #153
    Join Date
    Aug. 29, 2005
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbm
    if i remember correctly, I read that Salinero has been in AVGs barn since he was a yougn horse. he was bought after he placed at the Bundeschampionships (sp) as a jumper prospect for one of AVG/SJs clients. once AVG/SJ got a look at him working they decided to keep him themselves..... there was not one word mentioned about him being a 'rogue"

    I will seee if i can find this interview..... I *think* it was here on the COTH....
    That would be interesting. I have read that he has been trained by both Holger Schulze and Holga Finken, and I wonder if they would call him a rogue? Or did he become a bit spoiled by some buyer who just bought too much horse for their own good, like a lot of character strong horses naturally would be too, in the same situation? He seemed to go through the finals of the 5-yo championships with Holger Schulze just fine. Anyone know Schulze or Finken and can ask?

    Theresa
    "Tradition ist nicht Asche bewahren, sondern die Weitergabe des Feuers"
    "Tradition är inte att spara askan, utan att föra elden vidare"



  14. #154
    Join Date
    Sep. 13, 2000
    Location
    Greenville, MI,
    Posts
    11,816

    Question Whats Dachundness???

    You mean like the dog??? I missed something!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.



Similar Threads

  1. would you ride with trainer with a tattoo?
    By HJCluck in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: Jul. 10, 2005, 01:23 PM
  2. Actors Who Ride
    By Sandy M in forum Off Course
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: Feb. 3, 2005, 04:51 PM
  3. Sex abuse in the Horse World
    By Weatherford in forum Off Course
    Replies: 256
    Last Post: May. 9, 2003, 10:06 AM
  4. World Cup Las Vegas
    By eqnjumperrider in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 124
    Last Post: Apr. 17, 2003, 09:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness